IGNORED

Does Ed/Assem cartridge have auto-load like XB?

Kchula-Rrit

17 minutes ago, Kchula-Rrit said:

That was quick!  That's at the boot menu, right?  1 for TI BASIC, 2 Ed/Assem...

I'll have to try it.  Thanks.

K-R.

yes.  Select 2 of Editor Assembler then 5 for Program Image.  If you hit enter it will then look for UTIL1 on DSK1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed in SoDak said:

Can't you just rename BOOT to UTIL1 instead of editing the EA .bin? Or have a second copy of BOOT, rename one and keep the other copy with original name. I used that trick with Funnelweb.

It's been quite awhile since I've used BOOT, but if I remember correctly you would have to sector edit BOOT itself, as it saves it's updated data to itself.  I don't recall off hand if there is enough room for the extra character needed in the filename, if there is you're golden.  So what would happen if it's not edited?  I believe when he saves updates, it would save a file called BOOT, not the renamed file, so it would appear like the updates never took... unless he continually renamed the updated files.

2 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

Are you using a "REAL" Editor/Assembler cartridge?  If you have a FG99 you could simply use a sector editor on the cartridge .BIN changing UTIL1 to BOOT.

RXB has a DSK#.UTIL1 loader built into RXB press ENTER and then the character of the DSK#.UTIL1 say like press 3 for DSK3.UTIL1 or press 0 (zero) for WDS1.UTIL1

or

REA (Rich Editor Assembler built into RXB also) press 5 or press P for RUN PROGRAM FILE again any key will be used for DSK#.UTIL1 or press 0 (zero) for WDS1.UTIL1 

Are there ant other Editor Assembler Carts that can boot from WDS1.UTIL1 with a single keypress of 0 (zero)? 

14 minutes ago, RXB said:

RXB has a DSK#.UTIL1 loader built into RXB press ENTER and then the character of the DSK#.UTIL1 say like press 3 for DSK3.UTIL1 or press 0 (zero) for WDS1.UTIL1

or

REA (Rich Editor Assembler built into RXB also) press 5 or press P for RUN PROGRAM FILE again any key will be used for DSK#.UTIL1 or press 0 (zero) for WDS1.UTIL1 

Are there ant other Editor Assembler Carts that can boot from WDS1.UTIL1 with a single keypress of 0 (zero)? 

Rich, he specifically asked about the Editor/Assembler cartridge, nothing was mentioned about RXB.  From the photo below, I'm guessing RXB or a FinalGROM is not an option for him at this point in time.  For example I could have gone off-topic mentioning the Extended BASIC 2.7s cartridge would be perfect for his current need, but that probably would have been a total waste of his time.  I figure the OP would prefer to "stay on topic" and not go into irrelevant (to him) side discussions that serve no purpose to his current request.

EA.PNG

3 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

I can see that the purpose of that little red button hasn't registered with either one of you! ...tsk tsk.

That's a HI-RELIABILITY Wilson momentary switch, used for one purpose and one purpose only...

Press FIRMLY!

I have two myself.:grin:

Ejection  seat? 

• Haha 3

Reset button.  The toggle switch on the left side of the console is the power switch.  The non-standard power supply is the black box on the right.

I had a console overheat and die 38 years ago.  I cannot forget that piercing shriek from the sound generator.  Did some checks and found that -5V gave out.  A few years after getting the replacement I replaced the power supply with a beefier external one.  The black box is my latest iteration.  But, I digress...

K-R.

12 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

Are you using a "REAL" Editor/Assembler cartridge?  If you have a FG99 you could simply use a sector editor on the cartridge .BIN changing UTIL1 to BOOT.

I'm using a real Ed/Assem.  I have a Final GROM, but it doesn't seem to like my system.  It's flaky.  I have another console, totally unmodified, that the Final GROM seems to like.  It runs flawlessly in that console.

K-R.

7 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

I can see that the purpose of that little red button hasn't registered with either one of you! ...tsk tsk.

That's a HI-RELIABILITY Wilson momentary switch, used for one purpose and one purpose only...

Press FIRMLY!

I have two myself.:grin:

Roommate just pointed out that "Press FIRMLY!" was a link.   I could have used a couple of those, back when I had a job.

K-R.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for taking so long to respond.

At this point I'm just curious what my options might be to get an assembly program to auto-load upon start-up.  I'm thinking I could:

Run an X-BASIC loader as arcadeshopper pointed out.  (By the way, your USB keyboard adapter works great!)

Make a sidecar DSR to run a power-up routine.

Make a sidecar DSR to run a power-up sub-program.

I have an idea for a sidecar anyway, so maybe I could add the functionality.  Anyone done such a thing?  Silly question...

K-R.

2 hours ago, Kchula-Rrit said:

Make a sidecar DSR to run a power-up routine.

Make a sidecar DSR to run a power-up sub-program.

Not sure which is which...

In one incarnation of an implementation of my HOME AUTOMATION system... I connect the controller to the JOYPORT and use the FG99 to boot a power-up routine. This provides plenty of paged memory, and the possibility to software switch to another module.