IGNORED

32k Memory expansion causing floppy drive to pulse on and off

Timkorbs

2 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

this is either bad alignment or hardware on the drive.. SO get a known working drive.. even a 1.44 3.5" pc drive will work, albiet only in the modes the TI supports (I assume you have a TI controller board) DS/SD.. you just have to use 720k disks or put a label over the hole in the 1.44 disks..    

OR use a gotek, which is what I recommend to most. I have 1.44 drives, the cables and goteks in my store at arcadeshopper.com 

Greg

Thank you

• Like 1

Yes,. like this.

I have 100 virtual disks on my thumb drive. I can copy it back and forth to my laptop too. And copy real floppies to and from a regular floppy Drive but the storage handling is all done by the controller so you can't do double-sided double density if the controller doesn't handle it. so whatever the controller provides is what you can get with the gotec and your floppy

IMG_20201105_162234325.jpg

Edited by GDMike

1 hour ago, GDMike said:

Yes,. like this.

I have 100 virtual disks on my thumb drive. I can copy it back and forth to my laptop too. And copy real floppies to and from a regular floppy Drive but the storage handling is all done by the controller so you can't do double-sided double density if the controller doesn't handle it. so whatever the controller provides is what you can get with the gotec and your floppy

IMG_20201105_162234325.jpg

Sweet, thanks!

5 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

this is either bad alignment or hardware on the drive.. SO get a known working drive.. even a 1.44 3.5" pc drive will work, albiet only in the modes the TI supports (I assume you have a TI controller board) DS/SD.. you just have to use 720k disks or put a label over the hole in the 1.44 disks..    

OR use a gotek, which is what I recommend to most. I have 1.44 drives, the cables and goteks in my store at arcadeshopper.com 

Greg

Quick question, so I'm going to buy a gotek, but what else do I need with that? A ribbon cable? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Timkorbs said:

Quick question, so I'm going to buy a gotek, but what else do I need with that? A ribbon cable? 

If you are going dual 1/2 height drives: https://arcadeshopper.com/wp#!/dual-drive-kit-for-pbox/p/101647132/category=0 mounting bracket cable and power adapter

gotek is 3.5" so you'll need a mounting bracket as well. https://arcadeshopper.com/wp#!/5-25-drive-bay-adapter-for-3-5-drives/p/101647085/category=0

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Omega-TI said:
... oh, I might also add that one Lotharek HxC can emulate TWO drives at the same time.

Lotharek      Gotek

Base Price        $106.64      $25.00   (plus shipping)

Drives                2                 1

flashfloppy         no               yes  (flashfloppy.com for more info)

rotary controller  no              option

Numeric disp.     no               yes

LED display         yes             option

OLED display       no             option

trackball control   no             option

speaker               yes            option

custom 3d           no              option

Printed cases

reads DSK          no*             yes

reads HXC          yes              yes

*you have to convert your files to lotherek's HXC file format to be used with the drive.. 

I sell the goteks in my store pre-flashed with flashfloppy and can build them with the options etc.. or you can just order one from ebay for 25$ and do your own options if you are handy with a soldering iron etc 

Greg

• Like 1

@arcadeshopper lists the Lotharek with no "OLED" display.  While that is "technically accurate", it does come with it's own LCD display built into the unit without the need to pay for an additional display and mounting hardware that may or may not be aesthetically pleasing.  From the photo below you can see it fits in a standard 1/2 height adapter.  

Lotharek.thumb.png.2cb9e9a3fe7384323961be01d4abced4.png

As a base unit the Gotek is indeed cheaper, but it's always good to know your options before you buy.

• Like 1

This is how I've scheduled mine out daily, of course it's not gotek data.

The windows scheduler runs each morning at 1 am for me. In the example the backup has already run for the day, so I had to manually override another backup by hitting A for all files copy again, but usually it's just run automatically with no user involvement.

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1