IGNORED

Announcing a rogue-like RPG for the Atari Jaguar

phoboz

Unfortunately there were not many RPGs for the Atari Jaguar (I am only aware about one e.g. Towers II) This is hopefully about to change in the future with the addition of this tile (current working tile: Kings of Edom)

I am glad to announce a rouge-like RPG that I have been working sporadically between my other game releases. This will probably take a little bit more time to complete, as it turned out to be more complex to develop compared to my previous titles (available at: http://tjocktv.se/shop/)

The levels are randomly generated every time you play a new game, so this will guarantee a good replay value for this game. You can always go back to a previous level (as long as you are still alive), all monsters defeated will stay defeated, and all items picked up will be gone.

Note that currently there is no sound in the game, but you can see in the battle animations if an attack hits the opponent (e.g. if the hit animation is played). Far from all attacks are successful, this will be even more noticeable with the correct sound effects to be added. Also you can see at the bottom of the screen a message for each event that occurs in the game e.g. if an attack is successful, how much damage it did, what items you picked up etc.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

To be honest the graphics look a bit like NES graphics. These visuals leave much to be desired. Even with randomized levels you can probably pull off much better looking sprites on the Jag. If there is no rush to release this one, I would recommend you hire a pixel artist. Or check out some of the great graphics provided for free use online.

For this game you should really check out Reiner's Tilesets. The sprites here are of much better quality and fit your theme.

check out the 2D graphics tab and environments, animals, creatures and humans. There is a lot there and as I already stated these graphics fall in line with your theme
Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES

3 hours ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:
To be honest the graphics look a bit like NES graphics. These visuals leave much to be desired. Even with randomized levels you can probably pull off much better looking sprites on the Jag. If there is no rush to release this one, I would recommend you hire a pixel artist. Or check out some of the great graphics provided for free use online.

For this game you should really check out Reiner's Tilesets. The sprites here are of much better quality and fit your theme.

check out the 2D graphics tab and environments, animals, creatures and humans. There is a lot there and as I already stated these graphics fall in line with your theme

These are actually graphics assets that I paid for, but I guess the artist designed it to make it look like early 16-bit games. I see a lot of graphics in this style in new indie games. It's not easy find a good 2D pixel artist, and the amount of different frames on animation required by this game it takes a lot of time to hand draw.

The graphics you linked to looks like it is pre-rendered, so this does not need to be hand drawn for each frame. It does also look more realistic, but gives a different feel to the game. I will check it out, but I am not sure I will use it?

The graphics was the main limitation for me to get ahead with this game, so I decided I could not do it myself...

• Like 7

5 hours ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

These tiles look isometric and thus this won't fit his engine? Also , he probably needs something like 16x16 tiles.

Edited by agradeneu

6 hours ago, agradeneu said:

These tiles look isometric and thus this won't fit his engine? Also , he probably needs something like 16x16 tiles.

I'm not specifically talking about the tiles. I am specifically talking about the trees.

343991533_phoboztree.PNG.dcdb8dae8ec88d194986ea7543d3b92d.PNG   1661955096_reinertree.PNG.8929f1fab2d4ad3e731c3226e7f94d0e.PNG

His trees are also at the same isometric angle. There wouldn't need to be any change to his engine in order to use them. In regard to the tiles, there are flat squares of grass here too that could be adapted and used as well. The characters and creatures may need to be looked at a little more, but he could still pull it off and have a much more impressive looking game in terms of visual style than what's been presented here in the proof of concept video.

as far as needing 16X16 they can always be resized or scaled down.

In any case I'm sure the game will turn out great and people will love it. It's nice to see phoboz filling the RPG gap on the Jaguar, I'm merely suggesting he raise the bar in the visuals if there is no rush on releasing the game, because why not?

If you were the one who designed his sprites and tiles I am not trashing your artwork. These graphics DO look nice and well made. But they look nice for a GAMEBOY ADVANCE game, a Sega GENESIS game or a SNES game, not a game on the Atari Jaguar.

So this doesn't mean the sprites and tiles presented here are bad at all, it just means that I (among others I've read elsewhere) would like to see something more realistic in regards to visuals for an RPG on the Jaguar.

I look forward to seeing how the gameplay turns out regardless of the graphics style. I think with enough time and work put in this game could really be something Jaguar owners have been longing for all of these years.

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES

I don't get the obsession people have with Jaguar games having to look a particular way with as many colours and detail as possible.  Just because the hardware can do something, doesn't mean the developer has to.

This this case, he might have been intentionally going for that art style as it suits the genre.

I'm sure most of us have games on our PCs and mobiles that don't take advantage of the hardware. In many cases, it's because the developer or designer wanted it that way.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Sporadic said:

I don't get the obsession people have with Jaguar games having to look a particular way with as many colours and detail as possible.  Just because the hardware can do something, doesn't mean the developer has to.

This this case, he might have been intentionally going for that art style as it suits the genre.

I'm sure most of us have games on our PCs and mobiles that don't take advantage of the hardware. In many cases, it's because the developer or designer wanted it that way.

fair point.

I was merely making a suggestion. It is of course his game and he can do whatever he wants.

1 hour ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

I'm not specifically talking about the tiles. I am specifically talking about the trees.

343991533_phoboztree.PNG.dcdb8dae8ec88d194986ea7543d3b92d.PNG   1661955096_reinertree.PNG.8929f1fab2d4ad3e731c3226e7f94d0e.PNG

His trees are also at the same isometric angle. There wouldn't need to be any change to his engine in order to use them. In regard to the tiles, there are flat squares of grass here too that could be adapted and used as well. The characters and creatures may need to be looked at a little more, but he could still pull it off and have a much more impressive looking game in terms of visual style than what's been presented here in the proof of concept video.

as far as needing 16X16 they can always be resized or scaled down.

In any case I'm sure the game will turn out great and people will love it. It's nice to see phoboz filling the RPG gap on the Jaguar, I'm merely suggesting he raise the bar in the visuals if there is no rush on releasing the game, because why not?

If you were the one who designed his sprites and tiles I am not trashing your artwork. These graphics DO look nice and well made. But they look nice for a GAMEBOY ADVANCE game, a Sega GENESIS game or a SNES game, not a game on the Atari Jaguar.

So this doesn't mean the sprites and tiles presented here are bad at all, it just means that I (among others I've read elsewhere) would like to see something more realistic in regards to visuals for an RPG on the Jaguar.

I look forward to seeing how the gameplay turns out regardless of the graphics style. I think with enough time and work put in this game could really be something Jaguar owners have been longing for all of these years.

No I did not.  IMO, prerendered stuff looks mostly odd on the Jaguar and the examples we have on the system did not age well. The pixel art tree looks a LOT nicer than the example you have posted. Some people might think prerendered stuff is more "64" bit looking but 

a lot of the 90's "nex gen" stuff looks downright awful, quality handrawn graphics are timeless.

There are other options to improve the current graphic style, like a greater variation with the tiles and colors. 

BTW scaled down graphics will look ugly on the Jaguar, especially scaling from high res sources to something tiny like 32x32 or 16x16, or even worse, downsampling from 24 bit to 4 bit color. Do all artwork in the Jags resolution and desired color space, that is why any coder needs a good Pixel artist. :-D

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Sporadic said:

Prerendered graphics is just a different style, it does not show off more "power" of a system. In the end it's all bitmaps. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sporadic said:

Yes indeed that's true.  Colour depth does though.

Yeah, pixelart stuff could use higher color dephts as well, and don't forget about fluid animations ;-) On the other hand, I saw enough examples of prerendered stuff in low res and low color, and that does not look good on the Jaguar.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1