IGNORED

Announcing a rogue-like RPG for the Atari Jaguar

phoboz

9 hours ago, Songbird said:

Songbird and Phoboz are now working together on this release, which is called Kings of Edom. Read about it and more in the Songbird news blog! Very excited to see all these new features coming together for KoE. Should be a real treat for Jag fans. :)

Excellent news! I'm looking forward to the final product :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2020 at 9:21 AM, phoboz said:

I might as well describe the rules of the game. In principle, you don't need to know them to play the game. However, you can archive better results by knowing them. I also want to write them down, before I forget myself :)

What you see below is the training menu.

The first column shows the skill name, the second shows the required experience points to reach the next level, and the final column shows the current level. The yellow stars you see next to the skill name tells the game that this is a skill you want to improve (e.g. your gained experience points are distributed to advancing the skills you have marked with a star) You may put several stars on one skill, and you have up to 3 stars to distribute. You can change your training settings at any time during the game. Changes won't affect the level you already reached for a certain skill.

tm.thumb.PNG.530ab1b84ccdedf9474085cc3ff9f2b9.PNG

1. Strength - When performing a melee attack, a high strength level improves your chances to hit your opponent.

2. Intelligence - Your initial intelligence affects your initial searching skill level (see the last skill) Whenever your intelligence level exceeds the intelligence requirements for a spell in the game, you automatically learn that spell. (you can also learn spells by finding, and reading scrolls)

3. Dexterity - When an opponent performs an attack against you, your dexterity level improves your chances to avoid being hit. (equipping an armor, and a shield further improves your chances to dodge the attack)

4. Toughness - Your initial toughness affects the initial hit-points you get, toughness also helps you to survive hunger for a bit longer (e.g. until you hopefully find more food).

5. Mana - Your initial mana affects your initial searching skill level. The mana level will also reduce the magical power points consumed when casting a spell (see 7)

6. Hitpoints - These are the maximum number of hits you can take before it is game over... Your hit-points can be restored by consuming potions (red), or by executing the heal spell on yourself.

7. Magical Power - When casting a spell, a certain amount of power points are consumed (also see 5). If you have less power than the requirements of the spell, you cannot cast that spell. Your magical power can be re-filled by consuming elixirs (blue)

8. To-Hit Bonus - This skill directly increases your chances to hit your target (also see skill 1)

9. To-Damage Bonus - This skill adds additional additional points to the damage your equipped weapon causes to your opponent.

10. Searching - When you destroy a destructible object, or push-pull a rock for the first time, you may find an item. Your searching skill increases your chance of finding an item in such cases. This skill also affects the amount of gold, food, and the level of certain items you find.

Updated the description above, due to changes in the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I know you are busy with finishing Kings of Edom phoboz but if you ever have ideas for a sequel then you should check this recently unearthed PlayStation Net Yaroze game that went unreleased for 20+ years for reference: Magic Castle. Not in 3D like Magic Castle but something in the lines of arcade games such as Dungeon Magic and Dark Seal II

• Like 3

7 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Or Gauntlet even. The reason I brought those two games was because of the multiplayer aspect. 

25-years ago the multiplayer aspect would have made sense for an off-line console game but not so sure it does at this point. From a developer standpoint, it’s a bit of extra work for something with ultra limited reach and minimal benefit at best for an already niche machine in limited quantities. 

I’m willing to bet only a handful of people ever actually play the Jaguar with friends or family outside of a few rare instances, most which are generally likely to extend only due to yearly gaming conventions or retro gatherings.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Clint Thompson said:

25-years ago the multiplayer aspect would have made sense for an off-line console game but not so sure it does at this point. From a developer standpoint, it’s a bit of extra work for something with ultra limited reach and minimal benefit at best for an already niche machine in limited quantities. 

I’m willing to bet only a handful of people ever actually play the Jaguar with friends or family outside of a few rare instances, most which are generally likely to extend only due to yearly gaming conventions or retro gatherings.

Hm.........on modern consoles and retro, Couch Co Op/Competitive games are among my favourites, nothing beats the fun of a round of Street Fighter 2,Mario Kart or Bomberman with friends. 

So I disagree here, actually I would love to work to on a Jaguar game that focuses on MP.;-)

For limited quantities of the Jaguar, that does not matter IMO, you just need one console, two Joypads and at least a 1 friend. Do Jaguar fans have no friends or hiding something from them? ;-)

Also, I bet many dads among fans want to play Jaguar games with their kids. 

Every dev can focus on what he wants, but I see no reason why to rule out MP games. In fact, it could mean a lot less work in some cases, e.g. you don't need to design a single player campaign with story elements, you don't need to code patterns or AI for NPCs. 

I think for a MP game, a fun concept could be fleshed out rather quickly.

Edited by agradeneu

33 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

Hm.........on modern consoles and retro, Couch Co Op/Competitive games are among my favourites, nothing beats the fun of a round of Street Fighter 2,Mario Kart or Bomberman with friends. 

So I disagree here, actually I would love to work to on a Jaguar game that focuses on MP.;-)

For limited quantities of the Jaguar, that does not matter IMO, you just need one console, two Joypads and at least a 1 friend. Do Jaguar fans have no friends or hiding something from them? ;-)

Every dev can focus on what he wants, but I see no reason why to rule out MP games. In fact, it could mean a lot less work in some cases, e.g. you don't need to design a single player campaign with story elements, you don't need to code patterns or AI for NPCs. 

On modern consoles it makes sense being it's connected online and on some retro consoles it makes sense (Dreamcast was the MP machine of choice personally, man that thing was fantastic!) hell, even the homebrew games I see or feel SHOULD be aren't so? I don't know.

Anyways, I'm not necessarily saying to rule it out if your heart desires lol I'm just saying I doubt it's worth it. I think it would be cooler to see others join your party along the way for multiple battle elements like Final Fantasy did from a single player standpoint but that's not what I'm getting from this game and as such, it wouldn't benefit from having 3 extra players anyways. It's not Gauntlet and with that said, a Gauntlet port already exists for the Jag.

I've only recently considered the possible implementation of 4-player support in one of my games but then questioned... why? Team Taps are $15 for a reason, no one uses them. Of course, you (or anyone for that matter lol) can prove me wrong ;-) also I realize by multiplayer this was extending to a single extra friend which is not my first thought when saying "Gauntlet and Multiplayer" from above, I think "4-players"

Edited by Clint Thompson

38 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

On modern consoles it makes sense being it's connected online and on some retro consoles it makes sense (Dreamcast was the MP machine of choice personally, man that thing was fantastic!) hell, even the homebrew games I see or feel SHOULD be aren't so? I don't know.

Anyways, I'm not necessarily saying to rule it out if your heart desires lol I'm just saying I doubt it's worth it. I think it would be cooler to see others join your party along the way for multiple battle elements like Final Fantasy did from a single player standpoint but that's not what I'm getting from this game and as such, it wouldn't benefit from having 3 extra players anyways. It's not Gauntlet and with that said, a Gauntlet port already exists for the Jag.

I've only recently considered the possible implementation of 4-player support in one of my games but then questioned... why? Team Taps are $15 for a reason, no one uses them. Of course, you (or anyone for that matter lol) can prove me wrong ;-) also I realize by multiplayer this was extending to a single extra friend which is not my first thought when saying "Gauntlet and Multiplayer" from above, I think "4-players"

Well, I mostly base my POV on actual work I have done or doing.....its good that team taps are cheap and making more games that use it has potential. 

And of course I am looking forward to prove you wrong, in the near future, as I feel local MP has great potential for homebrew/indie game devs. ;-)

Local or offline MP  is very popular with modern consoles recently, especially on the Nintendo Switch,  there are countless retro games that re-invented the classic single screen or split screen MP from the Arcades and classic home consoles of the 90s.

I have at least 10 or so games on my PS4 hard drive that support local MP. I don't know why you think only online MP was popular and relevant??

Otherwise you are right that single player focused games don't need a bonus feature MP, which might feel tacked on and most likely will be ignored anyway.

But that is true for online MP modes as well. 

So I think we have a misunderstanding here: Iam not talking about adding a MP mode to a fleshed out single player game (like FF), I am talking about games that are designed with focus on local MP concept, e.g. Bomberman, Towerfall Ascension....

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Ha, I have 4 game pads and the team tap, would love some 4 player games.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JagChris said:

My ex roommate loved Gauntlet. She made me fire it up on the skunk near every night. 

i found it repetitive tho.

My friends and I played (though only the three of us) through Gauntlet IV on the Genesis with a mutitap, was a blast. 

But this is off topic, I would slay a dragon for a rogue-like on the Jag!

21 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Yeah I know. I was just agreeing with @agradeneu about multiplayer Jag games. 

I mean outside of the fact there are 2 that officially ever supported more than 2, and... I think beside the fighting games... did Raiden support 2?  There were not even that many to support it.  I still pelrefer LAN over WAN games.

On 1/16/2021 at 2:15 AM, Clint Thompson said:

? Team Taps are $15 for a reason, no one uses them.

I have one, and would love to use it. Who's up for some NBA Jam at my place?!? Oh, right, I have no friends who enjoy video games, let alone retro video games, within 100 miles of here ☹️ Another round of Checkered Flag it is then.

Seriously though, the fun of couch multiplayer isn't *just* those intra-family and dorm room show downs. It's also fun to master some crazy game, lure some unsuspecting friends or family members into a session once a year, and utterly destroy them. Makes all the solo hours practicing worth it ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Can we keep this thread about Kings of Edom and not about other titles XD? I just wanted to give an idea to phoboz, that's all :)

Dude, this is the Jaguar forum! 

But yeah, I agree.  I am excuted for this.  Thoughusually find Rogue-likes would be better off just being Rogue clones, as too many end up being Rogue-lite.