IGNORED

Announcing a rogue-like RPG for the Atari Jaguar

phoboz

On 1/18/2021 at 1:57 AM, leech said:

Dude, this is the Jaguar forum! 

But yeah, I agree.  I am excuted for this.  Thoughusually find Rogue-likes would be better off just being Rogue clones, as too many end up being Rogue-lite.

The aim with Kings of Edom is for it to be a fully fledged rouge-like (but not necessarily a clone of the game Rouge)

In the future there might be other projects (Action RPG, Metroidvania etc.)

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

This looks really cool and fun, and this is definitely gonna fill a hole in the Jaguar library! Congrats!

I have one question/request though, will it be possible to hide the console? It takes more than 1/4 of the screen and I feel the game would be more intense and immersive without it. Especially since most information displayed there are not super interesting, for instance "you use the key to open the door", but you actually see it happening so there is really no need to describe it. Another example, when you write "the slime missed you" well imo a "miss attack" sfx just do the job a million times better.

(but ok this feedback is coming from someone who make a point to reduce UI to the bare minimum in his games :D)

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

This looks really cool and fun, and this is definitely gonna fill a hole in the Jaguar library! Congrats!

I have one question/request though, will it be possible to hide the console? It takes more than 1/4 of the screen and I feel the game would be more intense and immersive without it. Especially since most information displayed there are not super interesting, for instance "you use the key to open the door", but you actually see it happening so there is really no need to describe it. Another example, when you write "the slime missed you" well imo a "miss attack" sfx just do the job a million times better.

(but ok this feedback is coming from someone who make a point to reduce UI to the bare minimum in his games :D)

It has a nice text adventure vibe and actually it provides some important information, like IDs of monsters, keys and attack/level up stats.  But I mostly agree with you that it might cover a bit too much of the screen.

Not that it's a bad thing, but the drumming sound you have when an enemy is near is the same sound effect used in Unsung Warriors on the Atari VCS.  Just an observation.  I think the sound effects you used are great and I'm looking forward to this release.  Great job Phoboz.

4 hours ago, agradeneu said:

But I mostly agree with you that it might cover a bit too much of the screen.

There are actually a few messages that use all 5 rows of text, so these would become unreadable with a smaller console. Also, in some menus, all 5 rows are needed (e.g. if you are under the influence of hunger, poison, burn, freeze, bleed, and curse at the same time, in addition to an indication that a crown is near), so yes, this game does provide some text that is intended to aid you on your journey.

You can see it as 80% graphical adventure, and 20% text adventure.

Just a side note to the other viewers (you already know about this @agradeneusince you are the guilty one)

I remember that someone asked if the monsters can cast spells also, and now there is such an evil magician in the game. He is also not easily wounded by magic himself, but more receptive to melee strikes. However, his staff might curse you if you stay to close to him.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 1

The game is really coming together nicely. It takes a few tries to really get your bearings, but even after you understand how to advance without dying (of hunger, of enemies, etc.) it's still quite the challenge! Really enjoying this one. And glad to hear there is an evil wizard now. :D

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 6:37 AM, Mikebloke said:

Some rogue like games do have a mix of random and pre set maps. Azure dreams ps1 had set maps, usually story based but occasionally pre set ones turn up, the rest randomised. 

Other console rogue likes include the pokemon mystery dungeon series and even Final Fantasy took a try with the FF X-2 characters as a post game storyline. 

Yes I have also seen some games that have a combination of both, for example, when you have a town with houses etc. you most likely want them to end up in the same place every time. This is a good reason for having pre-defined maps. Also you can draw much more nice looking environments using pre-defined maps (however, some games can actually draw quite nice random maps as well), but it will never be at the same level as if you have a completely pre-defined map.

Asteroite (which is a completely different game) have pre-defined maps, but it takes very much more time to make a complete game using pre-defined maps. So this approach will be exercised for the next project, which will take much longer before there will be a release.

Edited by phoboz

On 11/28/2020 at 8:07 PM, Mikebloke said:

Ooooh inventory and spell screens, magic, level up stats! Looking good. It's starting to really feel beyond fatal Labyrinth now, thanks for all the hard work you are putting in! 

Will enemies be using spells too? 

Yes, as described in post 133

PS. Trying to answer some previously unanswered questions earlier in this thread.

2 hours ago, mckafka99 said:

Will there be a JagGD locked rom available as well for those whose purchase the cart?  Just curious.

Currently the GD seems to be available only for a select few.

Sine we don't have access to that, it will be very hard to make something for it...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Kings of Edom has gone trough an extensive beta testing phase for the several last months. Almost 50 bugs, and feature requests were addressed. We are now working on the game manual, in which we try to capture as many aspects of the game as possible. E.g. to give a good explanation about how the game mechanics works, as well as giving an overview of the hero, monsters, items, spells, and ancient relics of the game

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

The manual text has been drafted, thanks @Songbird

I have played trough the game on a physical cartridge, retreived all crowns, and seen the final ending.

So everything seems to be in order now.

(note that the image will cover the whole screen on a NTSC display)

16234215230191377721889132866091.jpg

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1