IGNORED

Season 18 Round 6 of 15 - Castlevania

asponge

How about another classic Konami title...

1675760217_CastlevaniaCartridge.png.f55492ea8e9be03ced2bca51884e97b6.png 139548685_CastlevaniaScreenshot.png.7445b4ca6a10c81afe665ea1b7cdac83.png

Game Rules:

No Continues

If you manage to roll the score, go ahead and keep going until game over.

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Sunday November 8 at 11:59 PM CST.

AtariAge High Score:

1,292,420 by shadow460 posted on 10/8/2009

Scores as of 11/8:

bubufubu      2,300,690
Razzie.P        331,150
mbd30           312,600
asponge         117,210
Mitkraft         99,190
tman03           50,660
AtariSphinx      43,490
fakecortex       35,310
jblenkle         24,900
roadrunner       14,520

Season Standings:

Scoreboard.png.f0d98360ff794df7e55db919a6033fd4.png

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • Do not exploit game glitches, take advantage of 1-up loops or intentionally die in order to replay a level.
  • If "point pressing" is not specified in the game rules you should be moving forward in an attempt to complete/loop the game and not "camping" for points.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • Round points are awarded according to the following chart:
    1110848006_ScoreChart.png.e4e6c238b16cc1de0a8133d7d8dfa42d.png
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Yep!   "Just add Medusa heads everywhere" seems to be the design mantra to ramp up the difficulty.

The difficulty increase is a real jolt as opposed to Contra where it takes a few loops for the difficulty to ramp that much.

Just saw this thread which is timely since I've been playing Castlevania lately.  No way I can compete with you guys though!  I've been using saves and I've only made it as far as Death.  The Knight/Medusa head section leading up to death is very tough for me and I barely making a dent in death.

11 minutes ago, mbd30 said:

It looks like the difficulty goes back to normal if you can survive the first four levels of the second loop. But Frankenstein's stage is so hard. I made it to Frankie, but unfortunately I lost the holy water and failed to beat him without it.

Incorrect.  Death is more difficult on the second and third loops.  He does not revert back to normal difficulty.  Sames goes for The Monster & Igor.  Those who use Holy Water would probably be unaware of this.  The weapon completely neutralizes six of the seven bosses (counting Dracula's second form as separate).  It eliminates all challenge so it can't be used as a barometer for difficulty.

36 minutes ago, bubufubu said:

Incorrect.  Death is more difficult on the second and third loops.  He does not revert back to normal difficulty.  Sames goes for The Monster & Igor.  Those who use Holy Water would probably be unaware of this.  The weapon completely neutralizes six of the seven bosses (counting Dracula's second form as separate).  It eliminates all challenge so it can't be used as a barometer for difficulty.

I didn't know about bosses being harder in the second loop. Interesting.

When I was a kid I always used triple boomerangs to beat Death but that was years ago and I don't even remember what my exact method was. But I used holy water on Frankenstein.

Even with the holy water, you have to be quick with Death. If you're a little late then the scythes appear and now you actually have to fight him. I hate when that happens.

8 hours ago, Mitkraft said:

Just saw this thread which is timely since I've been playing Castlevania lately.  No way I can compete with you guys though!  I've been using saves and I've only made it as far as Death.  The Knight/Medusa head section leading up to death is very tough for me and I barely making a dent in death.

Join in! The scores here are really impressive, but it's fun to throw in for a few. Speaking of which, I gotta get on the board...

Nice way to break in the Trinitron I just bought last week.  I decided to play all the way to Stage 99 to show you guys that I was progressing through the game.  The first picture is a bit before one million points and the second one is just before I hit two million.  I decided to stop because I'm tired and need rest.  Once you hit 99, the stage number no longer increases.  This was my first attempt at maxing out the stages.  As you can see, I used Holy Water with Triple Shot to make it as painless as possible.  That being said, I died a bunch of times on The Monster's level.  Everything else wasn't too tough to figure out but Holy Water is just so over powered.

IMG_20201105_001842.jpg

IMG_20201105_013757.jpg

IMG_20201105_020241.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2020 at 1:33 PM, Razzie.P said:

Stoopid Medusa Heads.

I second this.

35,310 Stage 6 

castlevania-35k.thumb.JPG.4eb1f763e3a5808cf27994e4613150fc.JPG

Such a good game. Never played this for points- makes those hidden treasures more appealing. I remember getting to Dracula when I was younger, but my game always froze up at the end. Sounds like an excuse, but I distinctly remember getting to the end like 3 times with it freezing. I haven't played enough this round to make it that far, but if it happens again...I have a second cart now to try it out on, hahahaha.