IGNORED

HSC17 Round 20: MILLIPEDE + SEASON CATCH-UP & IMPROVE SCORES!

21 hours ago, Gury said:

Really fun game...

Millipede: 376449

millipede_hs_09.png.8588e2bbc95129201eb69ba49ec91596.png millipede_hs_10.png.2ed65ce1d89d48c425b7a9108f99e957.png

Wow amazing score! Very nice! I will still have a hard time winning this game... but I am motivated :D and if I don't win, it doesn't matter, since it still will mean I played millipede! 

• Like 1

NO THIS ONE DOES NOT COUNT (!!) But I was so proud of this score, I had to share it.

Last month I played Millipede and I had quite an amazing score and shared it on WhatsApp with my Friend @Thelen. I also pointed him in the direction of this HSC. I hope he will join.

But I will have to do some practice to get over this personal record. 

Since I did not play this one in this HSC round, it should NOT be counted. 

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-13 at 23.41.27.jpeg

7 hours ago, jblenkle said:

What starting score do we use on Millipede? The default seems to be 30,000.

I always start with 30.000. I think these starting scores do not make much sense anyway. You can maintain max. 6 lives (no more bonus lives above these 6) so when you manage to keep 6 lives around 100.000, 200.000 or 300.000 points (max start score) it wouldn't even matter that much to me personally if one uses 300.000 as start point every time. But not every participant in the HSC reaches 300.000 points, so perhaps it is best to start with 30000 points every time.

• Like 1

What I find very interesting in this game, is the fact that every crawling creature has it's own sound. This makes the game so funny for nut just visual but also audio senses. 

A few tips in this game:

1. The beetles with the prrrrrrrr sound do never come at the max left or max right position. So if you want to be in a relative safe spot when these approach you, pick that position.

2. Keeping the fire button pushed down is in most of the cases the best choice. But... beware the 'intervals' of the shooting can be risky when you approach the spiders, so better release the fire button then.

3. If you are in a swarm and you expect yourself to die there, look at your score. If you have lives enough left (so you can afford to lose one) and you are very close to getting a new life, choose for a kamikaze action. If you die with your score so close to a new life, you'll recover with the bonus life. If you die just after you received your bonus life then it might take too long before you get another life.

4. Try to learn (if you did not yet) the different sounds of every creature. I find it extremely helpful.

5. If a swarm is almost there (the game runs in cycles) make sure you have killed enough mushrooms around the DDT. As soon as the swarm start, shoot the DDT. It results in lots of points, AND it gives you for a few seconds a safe lane under where the DDT was. Stay there and the swarm will recover from DDT and then you have excellent position for shooting more of the insects. (Beware for the spiders though who are always in the swarms)

6. If no swarm is expected soon, shoot all the DDT's as well. Give quite some points! And did you notice that DDT increases the points you get for what you kill with DDT? I am still not sure, but it seems that killing a spider on a short position from DDT with the DDT results in 1800 points for that spider. It is always during a very short time visible that score, but I believe it says 1800.... wow!

Well If I have more tips, I'll let you know. This is by far my most favorite and played atari 8bit game ever. 

Edited by Marius
Typo's
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Marius said:

What I find very interesting in this game, is the fact that every crawling creature has it's own sound. This makes the game so funny for nut just visual but also audio senses. 

Haha, for a second I thought you were going to suggest a bonus challenge to play with the video turned off, only audio!

• Haha 1

Hm. I downloaded the recommended XEX from Fandal's site, but when I try to boot it from my SIO2SD on my (sometimes problematic) PAL 130XE, all I get is a black screen. That happens both with and without holding down the Option key. Neither pressing Start, Select, Option, Space, Return or fire button makes any difference.

I shall look for alternative 1984 versions, though I'm wary if there are differences.

Edit: The ones supplied on CD-ROM with my SIO2SD are V1.XEX, V1.ATR, V2.XEX, V2.ATR and V3.ATR. All those say copyright 1983 so I suppose those are not the right versions. The Millipede_1984.ROM on Atarimania ends in a black screen just like the Fandal XEX.

Edited by carlsson

6 minutes ago, McKong said:

Don't forget we should all be using the version from Fandal's web site, the cartridge version I think is easier

Yeah, but that is the (for Pal systems fixed) version of 1984. There is also a 1983 version, which has equal gameplay but does not show the scores of the spiders and the DDT looks slightly different.

There are also two cart versions; there also does exist a 1984 cart version, which is equal to the file version. I applied the Fandal fix on that ROM. 

26 minutes ago, carlsson said:

In my case it would seem that I have to shift to my NTSC 800, play through emulation or simply skip this round if we're limited to one particular file version.

Sorry, that was unfortunate timing on my post #41. I hadn't read your post #40 when I posted it, I wasn't referring to you when I said everyone should be using the same file version. Just bad timing

• Like 1