IGNORED

HSC17 Round 20: MILLIPEDE + SEASON CATCH-UP & IMPROVE SCORES!

9 hours ago, carlsson said:

Hm. The exact same happens with my NTSC 800 which makes me wonder what is happening as SIO2SD usually can load ATR images. Does one have to put this on a physical floppy disk?

Edit: For that matter, the Millipede.XEX downloaded from Fandal doesn't boot on neither my NTSC 800 nor my PAL 130XE using SIO2SD. The other Millipede 1984.XEX downloaded from AtariOnline.PL with animations on the title screen (probably not PAL fixed) boots on both.

I ran Mite from SIO2SD on my Pal 800xl

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, carlsson said:

Hm. The exact same happens with my NTSC 800 which makes me wonder what is happening as SIO2SD usually can load ATR images. Does one have to put this on a physical floppy disk?

Edit: For that matter, the Millipede.XEX downloaded from Fandal doesn't boot on neither my NTSC 800 nor my PAL 130XE using SIO2SD. The other Millipede 1984.XEX downloaded from AtariOnline.PL with animations on the title screen (probably not PAL fixed) boots on both.

MITE loads (and saves!) the Hall of Fame so it might be something needing doing to keep it read/write :ponder:

No improvement from me on Millipede but still a fantastic game, I can see with the PAL swarm fix you can pick uo a lot more points here now, but it is less scary!  I've just hooked up my Trak-Ball, feels like there's a bit of grit in there but it is even better to play: 11/10 now :lust:

We'll extend this round and the ROUND 21 POLL for a couple of days, probably Tuesday evening or so

;-)

Good to see so many players, will add in the Season Catch-Up scores at some point, keep them coming :pirate:

This round and the ROUND 21 POLL will stay open for a couple of days, probably Tuesda [THURSDAY 6PM UK TIME] evening or so ;-)

first official tables :grin:

MILLIPEDE (1984)

Scores from starting on default 30,000pts please!

1st   Marius                         503,049  12pts
  2nd   Gury                        389,252  11pts
  3rd   McKong                     378,811  10pts
  4th   graywest                   367,351  9pts
  5th   therealbountybob        322,682  9pts
  6th   Caco                         314,655  8pts
  7th   roadrunner                 258,985  8pts
  8th   carlsson                    216,371  7pts
  9th   chevymad                  212,277  7pts
 10th   RedThunder                208,269  6pts
 11th   jblenkle                     176,161  5pts
 12th   Sikor                        163,631  4pts
 13th   mimo                         79,586  3pts
 14th   slx                            76,782  2pts
 15th   pusakat                     62,826  2pts

MITE (2008)
  1st   Sikor (2lives)                1,680     4pts *
  2nd   McKong                       1,107     2pt
  3rd   graywest                       319     1pt
  4th   roadrunner                     310     1pt
  5th   RedThunder                      20     1pt

*(completed all 18 levels with 2 lives left)

Edited by therealbountybob

13 hours ago, McKong said:

I ran Mite from SIO2SD on my Pal 800xl

Perhaps my device is too old? I think I bought it some 10-12 years ago. It read V3.1 on the display, but to make sure I downloaded firmware version 3.1RC2 and tried a software update which caused it to crash completely. After backing up the contents on the SD card and reformatting it with a blank config file, I got it back to working but downgraded to firmware version 2.5. Fortunately I managed to get my TL866CS programmer working so I could remove the ATMEGA32 chip and flash the 3.1RC2 firmware onto the chip which seems to have restored it to its previous versions. The XEX and ATR files that didn't load before, still don't but at least it seems I didn't lose any additional functionality. Since I have two different Atari computers exhibiting the same issue, I don't think the problem is within the Atari hardware, possibly the SIO2SD hardware if you got the files to load properly on a similar setup. Then again I see that Lotharek still sells the device with firmware 3.1RC2 so it shouldn't be a matter of firmware unless of course there are hardware differences on the device that only show up on a few image files, while most still load OK.

On 11/8/2020 at 9:37 PM, carlsson said:

Perhaps my device is too old? I think I bought it some 10-12 years ago. It read V3.1 on the display, but to make sure I downloaded firmware version 3.1RC2 and tried a software update which caused it to crash completely. After backing up the contents on the SD card and reformatting it with a blank config file, I got it back to working but downgraded to firmware version 2.5.

Carlson, did you use Basic for Mite? It is nessesary.

I have very old SIO2SD and all working fine, only one things... I must use in it slowly SD card.

18 hours ago, graywest said:

Are you still taking scores for this round? I played Mite a bit more - think I gave up on it too quickly last time. Once I got a little bit further into the game, I started to find it pretty addictive. My most recent score: 623.

YES! Round now ends tomorow: Thursday 12th Nov, 6pm UK time which is possibly 1pm EST!

My best score (using the awesome Trak-Ball) is 345,452 :)

I seem to crumble at the 200K ramp up, need to be less agressive and concentrate on survival!!!

15 players here and only 10 voters so lets see 'em >>> ROUND 21 POLL <<<

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 1:12 AM, graywest said:

It's not too bad in joystick mode. The movement actually feels pretty good.

For me, it's just a little bit disappointing that Atari released such a cool trak-ball accessory and then forgot to make any games that really support it. (Except for Missile Command. And one section of Final Legacy.) 

If someone made a hack, that would be amazing.

On 11/1/2020 at 12:42 PM, Marius said:

If we need to start at 0, no problem for me. 

I am still trying to improve my last score. Although I did not succeed yet, I still love this game SO MUCH.

Millipede is so much cooler than Centipede. 

Centipede supports Trak-Ball in Trak-Ball mode ? Slime - don't think the game is up to much though.

There are a bunch of other games that play well with the TBall in JS mode - try encounter, Blaster is awesome, (hope this is my list for it!) Arena (I/3000), Computer War, Darts, Soccer Thorn/EMI and Gamma versions, Basketball, probably worth checking out any others with free movemenet - Juno First, Star Wars...

• Like 1

Congratulations to Marius for the win on Millipede, crushing the HSC record along the way fending off a strong challenge from Gury in 2nd place  :thumbsup: Thanks again to Fandal for fixing the game for PAL systems, it's nice to play it as it was intended. Thanks also for playing MITE with Sikor completing all 18 levels, maybe I will create some more one day - they are just hard coded in the BASIC listing if anyone wants to do some, there is one line with each set of level data with the total required etc.

Thanks for playing EVERYONE, great game and a lot of fun :)

final tables :grin:

MILLIPEDE (1984)

1st   Marius                       503,049  14pts$
  2nd   Gury                          389,252  11pts
  3rd   McKong                      378,811  10pts
  4th   graywest                    367,351  9pts
  5th   therealbountybob       345,452  9pts
  6th   Caco                           314,655  8pts
  7th   roadrunner                 258,985  8pts
  8th   Sikor                          246,376  7pts
  9th   carlsson                     216,371  7pts
 10th   chevymad                  212,277  6pts
 11th   RedThunder              208,269  5pts
 12th   jblenkle                    176,161  4pts
 13th   mimo                         79,586  3pts
 14th   slx                             76,782  2pts
 15th   pusakat                     62,826  2pts

$ bonus points for setting new HSC record and posting some great hints too :thumbsup:

MITE (2008)
  1st   Sikor                             1,680     5pts *
  2nd   McKong                        1,107     3pt
  3rd   graywest                         623    2pt
  4th   roadrunner                     310     1pt
  5th   RedThunder                      20     1pt

*(completed all 18 levels with 2 lives left)

Season Catch-Up and Improve Scores
McKong                            18pts
Java Jim                   Lv1 (9 stages) done   7
Captain Beeble             12,600    4
Orc Attack                       5,460     7

Pharaoh's Curse             1,795     0*

*no improvement on table!

Gury                             7pts*

* based on table positon for all games in the "Tombs of Doomb!" tourney
Pharaoh's Curse       1430    
Pyramid Run             1390    
Pharao's Quest          550