IGNORED

How much would you pay for an Atari Computer in 2020?

Blues76

Which model(s) do you really want?  What features are most important to you -- cosmetics, "tricked-out," extra ram, etc.?  Do you have any dead systems that you can just put in a new mobo? What is your goal -- collector; just want a good workable system to play games on, or?

13 hours ago, AtariGeezer said:

Yes I know, but your kind act made me soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy ;)

You could always ask one of the guys here on AA to sell you their unfinished board as long as it's not monkeyed up...

unfortunately times change and I find myself with very little spare money and that looks to only be getting worse in the next few months 

5 hours ago, Keatah said:

This video got me thinking that this old hardware is becoming more popular with collectors than it is with users. Collectors are going to pay more for it than a gamer or programmer. And that's going to enhance the price increases we've seen over the last decade or two.

It's unfortunate because most of the people looking to collect this stuff don't know how to repair or program these things. Only the old guard does. Or highly motivated newbies. Seems that collectors know more about the market and ebay than the actual stuff they buy and sell!

Collectors can really bring the prices  up. To me is a hobby that I don’t get to do much because of my work demands. However, I do hope to have more time in the future so I buy what I can and use whenever possible. 

But do they think that an Atari would go for 100k one day? I doubt it but I may be wrong. 

Most people that like Atari 8-bit had one or had some 8-bit system. In my case was the atari 65xe. And to be honest, while I had try to buy a few other 8 bit, everything comes down to Atari 8-bit

37 minutes ago, Larry said:

Which model(s) do you really want?  What features are most important to you -- cosmetics, "tricked-out," extra ram, etc.?  Do you have any dead systems that you can just put in a new mobo? What is your goal -- collector; just want a good workable system to play games on, or?

Great question Larry. To me is good working system in good conditions that I can use and maybe with luck have someone modded for me. Maybe more than one :) 

I would think 600 would be the range where you'd get a pre-modded system with U1mb, Rapidus, vbxe, etc.  As the upgrades do cost some cash, as well as the modification time.  But for a XEGS?  And new ones in boxes.. yeah those are for collectors I think, as you know if you're going to just open the box and use it, kind of defeats the purpose, right?

• Thanks 1

I've found a 1200XL being sold as untested/for parts for $110 shipped. It sounds like the main reason it hasn't been tested is that they don't have a power supply. Heck, there may be nothing wrong with it at all, or it could be something simple, once I got power to it. Is $110 a decent price on a questionable 1200XL?

I had an 800 originally, long gone now, and I have an 800XL currently. I never had a 1200XL, but I had a schoolmate back in the day that did and thought it would be cool to own one. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

5 hours ago, bfollowell said:

I've found a 1200XL being sold as untested/for parts for $110 shipped. It sounds like the main reason it hasn't been tested is that they don't have a power supply. Heck, there may be nothing wrong with it at all, or it could be something simple, once I got power to it. Is $110 a decent price on a questionable 1200XL?

I had an 800 originally, long gone now, and I have an 800XL currently. I never had a 1200XL, but I had a schoolmate back in the day that did and thought it would be cool to own one. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

I was very lucky and bought a mint boxed 1200xl in the UK for not much more than that. It did have a faulty keyboard but that was an easy fix (removed the contact "fingers" )
I love the 1200xl, it's the 4th one I've owned and I had an itch to buy one after I'd sold the other 3 10 years ago. It does take up a huge amount of desk space though, hence I use a 600xl as my daily driver.
Everything is in sockets on a 1200xl so it is fairly simple to fix and/or upgrade. The video output out of the box is pretty awful.
I'd probably have a punt on it 

On 10/27/2020 at 5:53 AM, mimo said:

unfortunately times change and I find myself with very little spare money and that looks to only be getting worse in the next few months 

That's true for a lot of us these days.  If you were to go the way that @Vandal968 and I have done by using a 1200xl and 800xl as parts donors to build a 1450xl mobo using the same parts Atari did, plus buying parts from Best Electronics and Digi-key, the final build costs would be over $400 if you didn't already have a spare 1200xl and 800xl to use...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Oh well, I dawdled too long. Hopefully, it went to a good home, maybe a fellow AtariAge member.

On 10/27/2020 at 2:04 PM, Blues76 said:

But do they think that an Atari would go for 100k one day? I doubt it but I may be wrong. 

Inflation and attrition will drive prices up to 100K eventually but those 100K might buy you much less than they do today. 

Sadly true...

And unless something amazing happens I think we are going to have much more down to earth stuff to worry about...As I near 60 I'm falling in to the right / very wrong age to get covid in, just keeping clear of the risk takers is a daily worry. A shame as I wanted to enjoy my Atari's more as I headed in to retirement but now just what I'm breathing / touching seems more important..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-65XE-COMPUTER-64K-RAM-NEW-NTSC-US-COMPATIBLE-from-Atari-MEXICO/141600282861?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

How about less than $250.00 (including S&H) for a deadstock 65XE, I could've paid almost double for a used XEGS but thought more of value instead, knowing the XEGS is nothing more than a repackaged 65XE and they are both the same animal, it's just that the 65XE takes up less space!!!

On 11/6/2020 at 5:39 PM, Mclaneinc said:

A shame as I wanted to enjoy my Atari's more as I headed in to retirement but now just what I'm breathing / touching seems more important..

Ataris kept in the basement for decades should be pretty safe Covid-wise...;)

Very true, sadly what I have is out on display (well on top of my wardrobe) or being used....Bad enough that my upstairs neighbours throw used tissues out of the window and that if I open a window the horrendous smell of skunk (drugs) floats in. Awkward times but we sanitise everything now, I think my Atari's are safe ;)

I think eBay prices have been high for a long time, but seem to have got even worse over the last 12 months.

You can see that people will often ask "how much is this worth?" and the first response tends to be, more and more often, "check out eBay for an idea of value".

There are still bargains but you have to be more patient and more tenacious.  I guess that pricing is being driven by a new generation that thinks that retro is cool, and by the original generation of enthusiasts having more disposable income and able to pay to get the setups that either they or their parents couldn't afford at the time.

Times are certainly strange and more difficult for many, but lockdown seems to have driven prices up even more in my opinion - I guess people have more time to spend on their hobbies.