IGNORED

BQ4847 Frankensteined Battery Replacement!

Shift838

I had some time this weekend and I had a dead BQ4847 that I wanted to bring back to life with a new battery.

These types of chips are completely sealed.

Go check out my solution (it works) if you have one and need to replace the battery.  Very little effort.

With a step-by-step tutorial: HERE

Spoiler

bq4847-mounted-cropped.png.e6e687e1d7106733237c47acb91bfb96.png

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, TheBF said:

This is cool.  Looks like we need to do the step to disconnect the old battery too.  I was wondering about that.

Why? The new battery is in parallel with the old—same voltage. I would think it a problem only if the old battery develops an internal short. Is that likely?

...lee

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Is there no way to stack a new battery and connect to pins? I don't know that chip, but it seems to me that there would possibly be a poss and neg in pins?

It seems you did not read the tutorial. That is exactly what Chris did. There really is no easy way to get at the pins of the socket. It makes sense to expose the pins higher up on the chip by doing the filing rather than unnecessarily modifying (and, possibly, damaging) the board.

...lee

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lee Stewart said:

Why? The new battery is in parallel with the old—same voltage. I would think it a problem only if the old battery develops an internal short. Is that likely?

...lee

Murphy's law is how I evaluate things like that. :)   

Since the old battery is dying or dead it doesn't have a high enough EMF so I suspect it will drain the new one somewhat. 

And some battery chemistry gets upset when you reverse current through it but that's more your area. :) 

• Like 1