IGNORED

Skunkboard: Special Edition (v5) Interest?

cubanismo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, use the ordering thread for orders. Link below.

A progress update while I'm here:

• The final manuals supposedly arrived at my house yesterday, but the timing is unfortunate as I'm out of town this week. I'll start finalizing and shipping the first orders shortly after I get home, assuming the package didn't get dropped in a lake or something before it made its way to me. Don't worry if you haven't gotten a personal response to your PM/forum post requesting a board or confirming your interest. You're not alone. I'm just busy. I see them, and I'll be in touch when your board is about ready. In fact, if I get to your name on the list and you haven't confirmed interest, I'll probably reach out to confirm you're not interested, so no one's going to get passed over.
  • Between building the first handful of boards, I've been polishing some of the ancillary content (Source material for the box, manual, PCB, etc.) for release and putting together scripts to generate the content for the USB sticks that come with the collector's edition package. I've found it amusing that when you're trying to generate a release of a bunch of source files, including the scripts to generate that release, you run into sort of a chicken-and-egg process of seemingly endless iteration ? It's nearly there though.
  • I've also been trying to get my host USB code into good enough shape to validate the two side USB ports in a more automated way than me swapping USB sticks back and forth between the Skunkboard and a PC. That's done as of last night, when I got usbverif.cof working. Now all I have to do is stick a USB drive in each side USB port and run "jcp -c usbverif.cof" then diff some files to validate the functionality, which I'll wrap into a script in the bjlSkunkFlash repo with the other bringup materials.  I haven't finished the speed improvements for the Jaguar-side host USB driver so it's still pretty slow, but for now, as long as it's automated, I don't care. I build the boards in parallel with the testing, so there's no real loss in throughput.
  • Once I've finished the above-mentioned polishing and finalize the material (And before I ship anything or take anyone's money), I'll make all the content I'm currently holding back (new PCB source files, packaging and manual source files, etc.) public on github, and start a new FAQ/support thread in these forums.
  • The UK VAT thing being discussed in another thread here is indeed a bummer, but if you're in the UK, don't worry, I've got you. I don't know exactly how I'm going to handle such orders yet, but I have a few options in mind. And no, I'm not going to just raise the price or make people order boards in pairs to reach the limit for import-side VAT handling, though I did consider it briefly given the hassle it's going to be to deal with this as a seller with minuscule volume ;-)

And once again, if you'd like to order, use the ordering thread

not this thread. I'm not tracking board requests on this thread beyond those that happened prior to my post here announcing the ordering thread, because that would cause my brain to melt. If you have other questions/inquiries, those are always welcome. Feel free to ask here, in a PM, or wait until the FAQ/support thread goes up.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

At long last, these are now shipping. The first three US orders went out today, and a few more (including the first international order, though sorry to those in the U.K., still working on that.) should go out Monday.

skunks_shipping.thumb.jpg.e45d5500bd2a028e21d815232b9d4a62.jpg

I'm working on building the next batch now. If you're on the list, hang tight. I'll contact you with more information when your board is about ready to ship. If you're not on the list and want to be, respond to the ordering thread:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought I had to type in the dollar sign. It was only when I tried it without it that I got it to work. I tried my Aaron the Aardvark game and I noticed there were some audio weirdness sometimes, like a hiccup in the noise department. I'm wondering if it's my game or the Skunkboard.

I tried this on 4 different boards, 3 of mine (1 original prototype, 1 second-gen prototype, and 1 final board) and one Zaxon SkunkBoard. It sounded the same on all of them. Sometimes the sound seems to warp/slow down/lag a bit. Is that what you're talking about? I noticed this on all the boards. What are you comparing to? BJL? Game Drive? Emulation?

The fact that this is an ABS file that the SkunkBoard just forwards straight on to RAM makes me doubt it's an issue with the board. If it was a ROM flashed to the board, I could see maybe the flash missing its timings sometimes or something if it's a bad chip, but it just doesn't seem likely the USB chip is randomly scrambling bits, and I don't know how else it could cause an issue with a game's sound when it's running entirely from RAM. Note each board I ship has passed at least 45 minutes of automated testing covering all functionality of all components as well.

It may be an issue in the game itself. Virtual Jaguar's emulation is not cycle-accurate, so it can "hide" some issues that exist on real hardware (or the opposite). Which is why even if your use VJ for development, it's important to also run the game on real hardware to check everything works right.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 2:11 PM, Machine said:

Got mine yesterday and was able to squeeze it into an old skunk shell I had purchased a few years ago....

Everything looks really nice. Professional box and instructions. USB drive is very nice touch.

I loaded up rom real quick and it plays well.

Thank you @cubanismo !!!

SKUNK.thumb.jpg.201e7744bbb72f7da154279d18e4641f.jpg

After seeing this I had to look online and found this case on Shapeways :) got mine all cased up now :D 

171003924_832914950905455_112275484732588267_n.thumb.png.c82f451bf505b33ca1361aaea23285d2.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...