IGNORED

Atari 5200 - Possibly for sale - Complete Diagnostic Set

CPUWIZ

I know I would have an interest in it as well! Although again the 4 port loopback can still be used on the 2 port unit you just have to use it with the top cover removed.

How about one of them joystick pullers? You got one of those?

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I know I would have an interest in it as well! Although again the 4 port loopback can still be used on the 2 port unit you just have to use it with the top cover removed.

To me it was just for collecting, I don't need these tools for actual use, there are better ways these days.

I am not familiar with the joystick puller, got a pic? :)

42 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

I am not familiar with the joystick puller, got a pic? :)

It is the metal lever with the notch cut out of it to the left in this pic from Best's website. Tried to get one a few years ago but was told they were sold out of them. It is used to pull he actual joystick knob top off the shaft. Makes is easier to do boot replacements..etc.

cx52-6.gif

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Hah, almost looks like a PC slot cover.  Thanks.

Yes it does look like that, but obviously would have to be made of some strong stuff to get that knob off the controller shaft. I've been able to do it by hand by just pulling straight up a few times, but more often than not I have to resort to some vice grips while pulling and twisting or just toss it aside and find another controller top shell housing in better shape.

4 minutes ago, Bratwurst said:

Any half decent machinist's shop could crank out a replica of that puller in under an hour. If I had the dimensions I could make one even, it's just an L-bracket with a notch.

Yep. Do it, sell them.

1 minute ago, Bratwurst said:

I can't wait to retire on my joystick puller fortune. :P

Bah, I make shit for other people to enjoy, sure as hell not to make money.  If so, I am almost $8K in the hole and should stop immediately.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bratwurst said:

Any half decent machinist's shop could crank out a replica of that puller in under an hour. If I had the dimensions I could make one even, it's just an L-bracket with a notch.

I've thought of that myself but I do have to wonder what the originals were made of? Just steel I guess? Alum would be to soft and would bend under the force to pry it off. But the service manuals and other stuff are very handy to have.

On 10/27/2020 at 3:31 PM, CPUWIZ said:

Bah, I make shit for other people to enjoy, sure as hell not to make money.  If so, I am almost $8K in the hole and should stop immediately.

I know I've been enjoying your shit.

- Hmmm, that doesn't sound quite right now that I'm reading it but you know what I mean :)

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/27/2020 at 2:55 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I've thought of that myself but I do have to wonder what the originals were made of? Just steel I guess? Alum would be to soft and would bend under the force to pry it off. But the service manuals and other stuff are very handy to have.

https://www.harborfreight.com/trim-and-molding-tool-set-5-pc-64126.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-upholstery-and-trim-tool-set-99739.html

I've personally use the hard plastic set on the top to pull apart my 5200 knob.

Both will work, but, the hard plastic won't nick or gouge anything.

Get a 20% off coupon, head down to Harbor Freight and resell them here for twice the price!

"Custom 5200 controller Tool!" "Rare!" "Vintage!" ;)

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/27/2020 at 11:01 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

On 10/27/2020 at 2:17 PM, Bratwurst said:

If somebody gets me the dimensions I'll make a run of them. I don't want to deal with selling them though right now, too busy, so ideally someone will just get them all and they can hand them out :)