IGNORED

My Atari 2600 Light Sixer Goes B&W When Tapped

earthad1

My Atari 2600 Light Sixer Goes B&W When Tapped or slightly moved. 

Sometimes, if I toggle the B&W/Color switch, the color comes, back. Other times it doesn't.

Sometimes will go to color if I toggle the switch from color to B&W, indicating that it seems to be more something loose/failing on the PCB rather than the toggle switches themselves.

Any suggestions at what I should be looking at first?

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

I too have a video problem like this. Luckily I use another Vader, but I would like to be able to repair my original. I would be sad if both failed--which they will of course--and I had to hack my Flashback 2. While I can Retropie all day long, there is nothing like playing Space Shuttle on a legit machine.

17 hours ago, ApolloBoy said:

It could just be that the color/B&W switch is dirty, not an uncommon problem. What game(s) did you try? Some games don't switch color modes with the color/B&W switch so you may want to try other games to rule it out.

I used contact cleaner to ensure the switches were smooth and they seem to be ok. They were decent when I got it.

I tested several games that will go B&W on my other consoles (Jr. Gemini).

Sometimes when I turn the console on with the switch on Color, the games start up in B&W and vice versa. If I tap the console gently pretty much anywhere, it goes back to color.

On 10/27/2020 at 4:59 AM, earthad1 said:

My Atari 2600 Light Sixer Goes B&W When Tapped or slightly moved. 

Any suggestions at what I should be looking at first?

The color switch might be faulty, or the solder joints for the switch might have separated from the main board.  If you are comfortable with desoldering, you can test the switch after removing it from the board -- I'm not sure if it can be tested in-circuit.