IGNORED

Repair or Replace Original Controller

koolmoecraig

What's wrong with it?

If it's a wire, replace the cable.

If the flex circuit is worn out, depending on where it is, you can try repairing with conductive paint.  Otherwise replace the flex circuit.  Someone has made modern replicas here.  https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/brand-new-mattel-intellivision-1-controller-mylar-set-38583

If you are luckey enough to find cheap original parts, you can try that.

I had a controller where the foam pad over the connector block slipped out of position.  I just peeled it off and put it back where it should be.

• 4 months later...

I have a controller that is not working correctly. 

I tried replacing the mylar with a new one but it was the same results so it's not the mylar.

I swapped a known good controller to the same connector and it works fine so guess it's not the connector on the console.

The Good:

Disc shows correct directions when pressed.

Keypad 1, 4, 7 and Clear are correct.

The Bad:

Pressing

2 or 3 returns disc Down.  (binary 1)

5 or 6 returns disc Right.  (binary 2)

8 or 9 returns disc Up.  (binary 4)

0 or enter returns disc Left. (binary 8)

Top left and both right action button return binary value of 128

Lower left nothing

Any suggestions?  I tried cleaning the metal contacts inside the controller with alcohol already.  Broken wire maybe?  I have a volt meter around here somewhere.  I could check for continuity. 

Confirmed.  There is no continuity with wire/pin 7 and 8.  Cannot see an obvious break.  I was going to try and pull the wires further forward (on the part inside the controller) and try to snap the connector back in on some fresh parts of the wire but part of the plastic that holds the two pieces together is broke.  Could have been me when I pulled it open thought I don't recall.  I'll keep an eye out for old controllers to scavenge.  No rush.  Got 3 other systems fully working and this one can still do single player games nicely.

It's not like my wife or kids are going to play a game with me.  Who needs two controllers?