IGNORED

This auction will give you an idea of how some of these are "serviced"

eightbit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Serviced-Tested-Working-Commodore-128-Computer-Mouse-Composite-Cable-Servant-ROM/303742326336?hash=item46b8741640:g:no4AAOSwN3xfl7vC

Looks good...except when I saw the last picture of what looks like a 10 year old girl sticking a screwdriver into a C64 and working on it on their carpet floor....with parts strewn about on the carpet. I am pretty sure the seller did not mean to add that picture. Pretty funny regardless.

• Haha 3

Not trying to sound like an ass, but probably sounding like one anyway.  I took apart many things down to the metal (even de-soldering some parts) in my youth and I grew up to be an IT guy.  My little baby cousin wrote a program on her mom's PCjr, at the age of four or five, which printed her name in 15 colors.  She became nothing technically-inclined.  That Notch took apart his Commodore 128 and rebuilt it may impress the normies, but around here that just sounds like par for the course.

The little girl in the photo, possibly working on a computer, only her parents know for certain, may be a future engineer, game developer, or meth-head.  I hope for the best and I hope her parents enjoy this time, because these little ones do not stay this way for long and there is nothing in the world like having someone so special with whom to share your hobbies.

• Like 6

I think its great when the kids get involved. I have had my 11 year old involved in a lot of projects like this, so I'm not dissing the guy that listed this auction in any way and I don't want it to be construed that way. I just thought it was kind of funny as the auction was listed as "fully serviced" and started out with some professional type pictures of dead test, running various OSes (like CP/M) and so on....and then the last picture is some little kid on the floor doing some work. Not saying that she cannot do the job, but when I think of a fully serviced vintage computer I have the thought in my mind that it has been serviced on a bench in a professional environment by an adult who knows the hardware and is taking great care of the 35 year old machine.

You just never know ;)

• Like 1

@eightbit It might just be clever viral marketing... I know I felt the tug to buy the system if only to support their work and give those kids the rush of having sold something they worked or "helped" to work on.

7 hours ago, eightbit said:

when I think of a fully serviced vintage computer I have the thought in my mind that it has been serviced on a bench in a professional environment by an adult who knows the hardware and is taking great care of the 35 year old machine.

How cliché :D

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

If it was a picture from a Chinese sweatshop, we would claim child labor and not support it.

We have family business labor exemptions in the US :)

56 minutes ago, Swami said:

Wouldn’t it be funny if she is actually a 21 year old computer engineering major?

True story.  Back when I started college I met a girl in one of my classes who was around that age.  I would not be exaggerating to say she likely could barely use a calculator by the time she graduated, but still wound up landing a nice-paying programming job.  I often wonder where she is today.

1 hour ago, youxia said:

The pic is most likely a little joke. This guy has a stellar feedback, mostly for fixing old computers, so even if he really gave it to his daughter to put few screws in it's not something to worry about.

I would assume so, and maybe to give a little chuckle to the idea of it being professionally services.  But also have a look at what she appears to be doing: she has the screw driver at the upper-right corner screw which holds the board and port cover in place.  This could very much be a dud machine she is taking apart for fun, maybe for practice, or perhaps she is adept at removing motherboards -- albeit, on a carpet not being the best of ideas.

• Like 1

Properly trained, I'm sure children from around 10 years old could contribute quite a bit to repair jobs since they tend to have smaller hands with more dexterity to reach into small places. Sometimes perhaps even better sight than squinting 40+ old farts. I know a guy who works professionally with all sorts of electronics repair. He started with retro computers but recently has moved into farming and other heavy equipment since there is less competition and bigger money to make. He seems to slowly introduce his children into his work.

I'm starting to like this guy. He's definitely not one of those prissy dads who rage when kids get close to their hobby stuff, has got enough sense of humour to post these pics (definitely not accidental) and also is confident about his skills (and feedback), so he's not worried about what people might think about  it all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, carlsson said:

If it was a picture from a Chinese sweatshop, we would claim child labor and not support it.

Wrong. We* would complain about it but continue to support it (i.e. Nike)

*We as in the global we, not anyone on AtariAge of course!

• Haha 1