IGNORED

35 years later

grayin99

Another one of those guys who had a Ti-99/4A in the 80s that felt nostalgic and bought one recently to relive old times. 

I probably spent too much, but I got a working system with a 32K expansion and FinalGrom off of Ebay recently.  Also found another console at a garage sale that works. So now I have two (both in silver/black). 

Last time I had a TI-99/4A was in 1985.  Bought it on clearance (Sears I think).  Had a lot of fun back in the day with a few cartridges, cassette recorder, and lot of typing in of Basic Programs.  The Navy, lots of moving around, and newer computers made me eventually stop using the 99 and it unfortunately vanished in one of my moves.

I probably don't have much to contribute to the community, but I did make a small remix of the JediMatt42 case for the 32k/Tipi sidecar.  Only real difference is the Texas Instruments logo in the side.  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4625910

Now to start reading up on things.

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, TheBF said:

Welcome Grayin99.

I think you will find that the resources available are incredible compared to when we first bought our machines.

Also the level of talent assembled here never ceases to amaze me.

@thebf,

Is there a ver of Forth running around for the Geneve?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grayin99 said:

I probably don't have much to contribute to the community, but I did make a small remix of the JediMatt42 case for the 32k/Tipi sidecar.  Only real difference is the Texas Instruments logo in the side.  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4625910

I like the "Mini-Peb Look" on that design!  Honestly, if you are participating you're contributing.  

Mini-PEB.JPG

• Like 4

On 10/28/2020 at 3:34 PM, grayin99 said:

Thanks all for the warm welcome.  Excited to be here.

I think you'll love your "second time around" more than the first.  Back then you either had to wait a month for a magazine, a user group meeting or possibly a few contacts on a BBS if you were lucky.  Now here at AtariAge, you'll find people online nearly 24/7 from around the world that have some truly staggering in-depth knowledge about this system that they are willing to share and help answer questions.  This place never seems to get boring, someone always seems to have something new to keep things fresh and exciting.  

• Like 2

There are two versions of Forth that run on the Geneve. One is by Mike McCann (and used with The Printer's Apprentice, The Geometer's Apprentice, and HQ Stacks), the other is Forth+ by Bill Sullivan. It was a further development of Mike's version, IIRC, and Mike's was a further development of TI Forth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2020 at 12:10 PM, Omega-TI said:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone out there printed one of these up and painted it match the original Peripheral Expansion Box light & dark silver silver motif?

The original of this by JediMatt42 (without the emblem) is silver in this picture:  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3919115
Might be a little too shiny to match or the flash might make it look like that.
I have some greyish/silver filament I thought about trying on this.  Would have to add the black highlights with paint.

Edited by grayin99
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, grayin99 said:

The original of this by JediMatt42 (without the emblem) is silver in this picture:  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3919115
Might be a little too shiny to match or the flash might make it look like that.
I have some greyish/silver filament I thought about trying on this.  Would have to add the black highlights with paint.

I'd love to see your finished project when done.  In my opinion not enough people share the eye candy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 11:35 AM, Omega-TI said:

I'd love to see your finished project when done.  In my opinion not enough people share the eye candy.

Here is a silver/grey version I printed using Hatchbox PLA silver filament.  The front is some black spray paint (I didn't have any silver paint). Again this is @jedimatt42's design, I just added the TI logo to the file and printed it.

This was printed at .2 layer height so it is a little rough if you zoom in, but looks better in person. 

Unfortunately my 32k card now appears to be toasted.  A couple of the connector pins rolled while connecting it to the console.  I fixed the pins but it fails memory testing now.  I wonder if I fried a chip that I can replace?

image006.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

• Like 6

On 11/9/2020 at 11:44 AM, grayin99 said:

Here is a silver/grey version I printed using Hatchbox PLA silver filament.  The front is some black spray paint (I didn't have any silver paint). Again this is @jedimatt42's design, I just added the TI logo to the file and printed it.

This was printed at .2 layer height so it is a little rough if you zoom in, but looks better in person. 

Unfortunately my 32k card now appears to be toasted.  A couple of the connector pins rolled while connecting it to the console.  I fixed the pins but it fails memory testing now.  I wond

Those came out really nice!

I recently fried my 32K sidecar by applying 9V. I replaced all 4 chips. They are very common ones. You can use  74HCT types (not 74HC) or 74LS types. Those and any 62256 Static RAM chip. One source for all that is Unicorn Electronics. 

• Like 3

On 11/10/2020 at 5:51 PM, FarmerPotato said:

Those came out really nice!

I recently fried my 32K sidecar by applying 9V. I replaced all 4 chips. They are very common ones. You can use  74HCT types (not 74HC) or 74LS types. Those and any 62256 Static RAM chip. One source for all that is Unicorn Electronics. 

Thanks for the info on the chips.  Unicorn seems like a good place to find all of them.  Only issue is the $30 min order.  These chips come to about $5.

28 minutes ago, grayin99 said:

Thanks for the info on the chips.  Unicorn seems like a good place to find all of them.  Only issue is the $30 min order.  These chips come to about $5.

I just checked my inventory. I have 3 of the RAMs (the other stuff too). PM me with your mailing address and I will ship a set of chips out to you.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/28/2020 at 6:32 PM, Ksarul said:

There are two versions of Forth that run on the Geneve. One is by Mike McCann (and used with The Printer's Apprentice, The Geometer's Apprentice, and HQ Stacks), the other is Forth+ by Bill Sullivan. It was a further development of Mike's version, IIRC, and Mike's was a further development of TI Forth.

Do we know where forth+ is located?