IGNORED

Authentic Reproduction ATR8000 Interest?

nemike

I have spent the last day or so going over the schematics and other peoples work to gather prom data etc and believe I can reproduce the ATR8000.  I plan to use 4164 ram and eliminate the linear power supply and use a switching power supply instead. My goal is to be able to use it as I originally used it, by connecting several 8" floppy drives etc to my Atari.

Would anyone else be interested in a (probably) one time run of a few boards?  Since this is not a for profit project I would charge much more than it costs me to get the components and pcb etc, I don't know at this time any cost but I'm also not interested in taking any money until I'm got the board designed.  At that time I should have an idea of costs.

The board will not be exactly the same as the ATR8000's original board, this will be a 4-layer and will be designed for use in a 3d printed case.

Let me know if your interested.

Mike

Edited by nemike
  • Like 3

I edited the original post to include that the board will not be the same as the original in size and will be designed for use in a 3d printed case.

As for the software, I would imagine we can find the data to reproduce the floppies or get them transferred via some means.

U46 is a 82S123 BiPolar prom, according to this thread:

It has 16 bytes stored in it.  We could verify that if someone would be willing to read their prom, or send me the prom as I have a Data I/O 29B with unipak 2b which can read/write those proms.

30 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello Mike

No sure what the differences are, but have you considered reproducing the ATR8500?

Sincerely

Mathy

No but reading a little about what it is, most of the changes I'm making to the reproduction ATR8000 kinda meets the ATR8500, I will be making it smaller, it will use a switching power supply, but it will be an ATR8000 so no CP/M without the Atari I guess....

I can't be sure, but price maybe doable around $120, that would not include cable, floppies or case.  I will design a 3d printed case and might offer them at an extra cost.  And shipping will not be included.

I will also say this may take a little while to happen.  I will post updates as I design the pcb.

And again it would be helpful if anyone could actually read the U46 prom, or verify the stated content of U46 was obtained via a prom reader.

2 hours ago, nemike said:

I have spent the last day or so going over the schematics and other peoples work to gather prom data etc and believe I can reproduce the ATR8000.  I plan to use 4164 ram and eliminate the linear power supply and use a switching power supply instead. My goal is to be able to use it as I originally used it, by connecting several 8" floppy drives etc to my Atari.

Would anyone else be interested in a (probably) one time run of a few boards?  Since this is not a for profit project I would charge much more than it costs me to get the components and pcb etc, I don't know at this time any cost but I'm also not interested in taking any money until I'm got the board designed.  At that time I should have an idea of costs.

The board will not be exactly the same as the ATR8000's original board, this will be a 4-layer and will be designed for use in a 3d printed case.

Let me know if your interested.

Mike

This is quite a project, you might want to contact @MEtalGuy66 about the issues he had reproducing the MIO.

Why stay with 4164 DRAM, most modern upgrades/devices have switched to static RAM? 

20 minutes ago, BillC said:

Why stay with 4164 DRAM, most modern upgrades/devices have switched to static RAM? 

Yes, this. 64K SRAMs are cheap and incredibly reliable, and in a single DIP-32 narrow form factor, quite compact. @mytek has used them in all three of his modern A8 implementations (1088XEL, 1088XLD and 576NUC+).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Yes, this. 64K SRAMs are cheap and incredibly reliable, and in a single DIP-32 narrow form factor, quite compact. @mytek has used them in all three of his modern A8 implementations (1088XEL, 1088XLD and 576NUC+).

It's very simple to interface needing only one NAND gate, and it'll let you get rid of a lot of other stuff (DRAMS, Delay Line, and misc. glue logic).

64K SRAM Circuit

64K_SRAM.png.22c23f627f3a97e56a2a221f7a7a1f3c.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

My intention was to reproduce the ATR8000 not re-implement it.  I'm not opposed to the idea of changing the memory as I have changed the power but my plan was to use all the same DIP through hole components.

Mike

I've had several originals (none currently), so I am reasonably familiar with the hardware. I'm interested, but have several concerns. First, the original is HUGE. The pcb alone would be very costly.  Is yours going to be smaller? Second, what about the copyrights? Third, the original was only capable of 1X SIO, and probably cannot be made faster with its original hardware design. Fourth, what about the obsolete parts?  

There was a really good article in Antic or Analog magazine about producing the ATR8000. I'll try to locate it. 

8 hours ago, nemike said:

My intention was to reproduce the ATR8000 not re-implement it.  I'm not opposed to the idea of changing the memory as I have changed the power but my plan was to use all the same DIP through hole components.

Mike

The 64K SRAM I mentioned above is a DIP through hole component. :)

5 hours ago, Larry said:

I've had several originals (none currently), so I am reasonably familiar with the hardware. I'm interested, but have several concerns. First, the original is HUGE. The pcb alone would be very costly.  Is yours going to be smaller? Second, what about the copyrights? Third, the original was only capable of 1X SIO, and probably cannot be made faster with its original hardware design. Fourth, what about the obsolete parts?  

There was a really good article in Antic or Analog magazine about producing the ATR8000. I'll try to locate it. 

As I said in my first post I do plan to reduce the size of the pcb but I am planning to reproduce it exactly, so all its flaws will be reproduced.  All the parts that make up the ATR8000 are still available, not to mass produce it no, but to make a number of them yes.  Please keep in mind, I want to reproduce it because they are hard to find and I’ve wanted to use one again as I did so many years ago.  I’m not looking at this as a project to flood the market with a ton of these in a new form but instead to reproduce a few.  A labor of love....

I'm trying to visualize how you want to place the connectors on a smaller pcb and how you want to make the case? 

I personally would like to see a case that looks exactly like the original. At least it could serve as a monitor stand. Couple of years ago I was thinking about copying the PCB and I got a quote for new metal cases from a friend who is running sheet metal shop in Chicago. The case in size of ATR8000 would run about $20 for bare metal. Than I would have to cut openings and paint it. I have to get current quote, but I guess that finished case could cost around $50 plus shipping. He did a small run of enclosures for another hobbyist for his hifi audio amplifiers that were sold for around $2k, so I guess he has some experience doing it. I have one ATR8000 so I will try to measure it and get a prototype done by him. 

• Like 1