IGNORED

Lynx II console box--worth?

unoclay

I was lucky enough to collect an in-box Lynx II about a decade ago. I love the box (i know you all can relate) but i have no idea of it's relative "worth".

Much more familiar with the world of, say, NES, where boxes are uber-valuable in certain situations (example--the R.O.B. individual sale box).  

Basic question: is the lynx II console box considered valuable? 

My particular box has some discoloration/spotting? from aging....sort of looked like the whites are somewhat discolored, but not stained--just older.  Some creasing, not terrible, but used.  

Just curious, genuinely. Not looking to sell.

It's in decent shape, but it's really hard to say given the fact that the Lynx market is still small and the market for Lynx console boxes is even smaller. I'd hold on to it for now in case someone REALLY wants your Warbirds box in the future. If you throw in a Lynx II and a few games, you could probably get $200-$300, even though a McWill'd console by itself (a much better gaming option) isn't that much more expensive than this. A box alone, though, is hard to estimate. The only Lynx box I'd never part with is the clear plastic suitcase that came with my copy of P.I.T.S., as it's just impossible to find now. You can see all of the Lynx retail boxes here

oh hey, thanks for that link!

Im not planning on selling it at all.  Was just curious whether there is any market or rarity or differences in the packaging---never saw that page before, and impressive, the number of variants this device had--esp for a device that didnt have a particularly long life or widespread adoption!

1 minute ago, unoclay said:

oh hey, thanks for that link!

Im not planning on selling it at all.  Was just curious whether there is any market or rarity or differences in the packaging---never saw that page before, and impressive, the number of variants this device had--esp for a device that didnt have a particularly long life or widespread adoption!

The Lynx was moderately successful for Atari; they sold several million units over its lifetime, which was 1989-1995 (or 1996, if you're being generous). Yes, that was just a drop in the Game Boy bucket, but it probably kept enough cash coming in at Atari to at least launch the Jaguar. And it was sold in many countries, so it only makes sense that there are many box variants to appeal to local tastes. You'd think that the Japanese release would have had a sticker (in Japanese) to indicate that it was for the local market, but I guess not.

yeah admittedly im comparing it to the success of ninty consoles---my primary passion.  Even as someone who owned it in its heydey, i was literally the only person i knew with one.  But, thats growing up in farm country, so, maybe not a representative sample of "console success" anecdotal perception.