IGNORED

1088 XEL - MyTek -- Your opinion and experience

Blues76

Hi all,

First, if I should be emailing them and not posting here, please let me know.

However, I wanted to ask questions as I'm thinking on buying 1088 XEL. I wanted build because I can't solder (I guess I could but I don't know about electronics to be honest, so I will make it a mess).

First, I was trying to see the difference between XLD and XEL... Besides the form factor and casing (one having a 1050 drive case), I wasn't sure there were many large differences.

https://thebrewingacademy.com/products/mytek-1088xel  (design by @mytek , sold by brewing academic) However, while the XLD looks cool, I find the XEL extremely cool and I sow @flashjazzcat video where he was building and I love the design. It is expensive but considering what I'm spending on ebay, I think I can find a way to spend it. Of course, the problem remains that over 1K is hard to avoid my wife noticing. When you do 100, 200, 300 in ebay, is easier to hide (well, that's another problem in itself).

Now, There are some options. They have three sophia B and C (two C modes, one B). And VBXE. I will get the VBXE but I wonder if is worth getting Sophia C and/or B?

Here is what in mind seems to be a good configuration but I was wondering your opinion.

• Daughter boards (UAV, Ultimate 1M upgrade, SIO2PC) (+$105.00)  ==> Do I have mail them the upgrades or do I have solder them?
  • Atari LSI Chips (ANTIC,PIA,SALLY,GTIA,POKEY (x2)) (+$155.00)
  • Sophia rev. C (DVI-1280x1024) (+$105.00)
  • VBXE (RGB/SC1224) (+$115.00)
  • 1088XEL-CF3 Dual CF Adapter (+$65.00)  (It seems that this is the same as 1088XEL-CF3 Single (F-chips) incl. disk swap button (+$55.00) but with two.. and I'm not sure it has a disk swap button)
  • Realan H80 Case (+$65.00)
  • Cartridge Tunnel for H80 (black is default) (+$15.00)
  • Internal Joystick Cables & Ports (x2) (+$10.00)
  • Panel Indicator for H80 Lid (+$15.00)
  • Mouse Select for H80 (+$17.50)
  • Customer designed Lid for H80 (+$90.00)
  • DVI Backplane for H80 (+$60.00) (There is a custom one but they say to get DVI if using the video options I picked. I guess the custom can do the same but I'm not sure what would be the need for the custom)
  • MultiSIO Internal Board KIT (+$30.00)
  • PIC-Stick Programmer Assembled (+$35.00)   ===> This one I don't think I will ever need since I'm not soldering anything or assembling this myself... or should I get it?
  • Joystick extension cables (pair) (+$15.00)
  • All Assembly & Testing by The Brewing Academy (+$400.00)

However, it seems that I may need to have Ultimate 1M upgrade (I'm not sure they are providing this based on what I read). Is this something that goes in a socket or do I have to solder it? They also say is hard to find Pokeys, so I wonder if I have to provide it to them.

Who has purchased with them? Maybe you have more experience. I will email them with direct questions but I wanted to know your opinion on my configuration.

Thank you everyone

The 1088XEL and 1088XLD are two very different animals. Both require the U1M and UAV boards to function in it's basic configuration.  If you want to beef up your video output then you can opt for the Sophia or VBXE boards, but you will need to have a monitor that supports their output. Both the 1088XEL/XLD have the CF3 Dual CF adapters.   The MultiSIO Internal Board is for the 1088XLD only. 

If you aren't soldering or assembling anything yourself, then the PIC-Stick programmer is not needed. The advantage of having either the XEL/XLD assembled for you is that it's all tested and verified working before shipment to you.  Unless the postal service/USP service dumps it upside down or from 10-15 feet,  you should be able to do a 'things loose and moving around inside' quick test and be up and running within minutes of arrival. 

I've worked with TBA in developing some of their offerings and can vouch for their professionalism. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dropcheck said:

The 1088XEL and 1088XLD are two very different animals. Both require the U1M and UAV boards to function in it's basic configuration.  If you want to beef up your video output then you can opt for the Sophia or VBXE boards, but you will need to have a monitor that supports their output. Both the 1088XEL/XLD have the CF3 Dual CF adapters.   The MultiSIO Internal Board is for the 1088XLD only. 

If you aren't soldering or assembling anything yourself, then the PIC-Stick programmer is not needed. The advantage of having either the XEL/XLD assembled for you is that it's all tested and verified working before shipment to you.  Unless the postal service/USP service dumps it upside down or from 10-15 feet,  you should be able to do a 'things loose and moving around inside' quick test and be up and running within minutes of arrival. 

I've worked with TBA in developing some of their offerings and can vouch for their professionalism. 

Hi, thanks.

Getting the "Daughter boards (UAV, Ultimate 1M upgrade, SIO2PC) (+$105.00) " means that I'm getting the upgrades on that board?

23 minutes ago, Dropcheck said:

What would you say the difference between 1088XEL and 1088XLD?

14 minutes ago, Blues76 said:

Hi, thanks.

Getting the "Daughter boards (UAV, Ultimate 1M upgrade, SIO2PC) (+$105.00) " means that I'm getting the upgrades on that board?

this one, I already received an answer from them... so it is all included (COOL)

16 minutes ago, Blues76 said:

What would you say the difference between 1088XEL and 1088XLD?

Biggest single difference (besides the obvious case) is the XLD uses the ST style 13-pin monitor connector.  The XEL uses standard composite + s-video jack.  The XLD fully populated with the S2 blaster board gives you front panel MIDI.

Nothing on the front of the XEL except a power switch.  Here's a better photo of the back.  DVI is of course not populated.  The 9-pin RGB is also not used as this machine just has the stock video (UAV) circuit in it.  LOL - how quickly I forget that this also has 13-pin monitor jack on it.

40.thumb.jpg.c99bbee05c78f681eeaceb4f936b9bb6.jpg

Here's the difference in a nut shell...

They both have the same possible features, but the XLD has all of them integrated into the motherboard, whereas the XEL needs upgrade boards to do the same.

Feature                             XEL			XLD
Built-in MIDI DIN Interface         NO			YES
Built-IN S2 MIDI Synth Socket       NO			YES
Built-IN CF3 IDE Interface          NO			YES
Mouse Port assignment via keyboard  NO			YES
Disk Swap via keyboard              NO			YES
Specific Headers for Upgrades       NO			YES

• Like 1

Will FujiNet fit OK at the back of the 1088XLD?

I note there is the 1088 XLD I/O ModSystem with "SP8266 based ESP-07 Wifi Board with modified C64Net WiFi Firmware and external antenna for extended wifi range."

Would that be replaceable with an internal version of FujiNet (e.g. with case or front panel mounted buttons)?

10 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

The existing design for FujiNet units will fit (as in, it will plug in and function) but once installed it blocks access to the 3.5mm stereo audio out connector. If the 1088XEL is installed in a Realan H80 case, FujiNet blocks access to two of the upper cutouts where most people install DB9 connectors. In my situation, using FujiNet blocks access to my Player 2 connector entirely, and makes the Player 1 connector rather tight.

Of course, the workaround is to plug in an SIO extension cable or plug it into another peripheral on the chain like a disk drive.

EDIT: Misread this. On the XLD, it fits perfectly.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mytek said:

Here's the difference in a nut shell...

They both have the same possible features, but the XLD has all of them integrated into the motherboard, whereas the XEL needs upgrade boards to do the same.

Feature                             XEL			XLD
Built-in MIDI DIN Interface         NO			YES
Built-IN S2 MIDI Synth Socket       NO			YES
Built-IN CF3 IDE Interface          NO			YES
Mouse Port assignment via keyboard  NO			YES
Disk Swap via keyboard              NO			YES
Specific Headers for Upgrades       NO			YES

When you were designing this (I think you did, right?), was there a reason taht XEL would not have those built-in?

11 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

The existing design for FujiNet units will fit (as in, it will plug in and function) but once installed it blocks access to the 3.5mm stereo audio out connector. If the 1088XEL is installed in a Realan H80 case, FujiNet blocks access to two of the upper cutouts where most people install DB9 connectors. In my situation, using FujiNet blocks access to my Player 2 connector entirely, and makes the Player 1 connector rather tight.

Of course, the workaround is to plug in an SIO extension cable or plug it into another peripheral on the chain like a disk drive.

EDIT: Misread this. On the XLD, it fits perfectly.

In the XEL why does it block your player two? Aren't those db9 in the front and the cartridge on top?

5 minutes ago, Blues76 said:

In the XEL why does it block your player two? Aren't those db9 in the front and the cartridge on top?

Look at @Stephen's post above showing the back of the XEL. The FujiNet device plugs into the SIO port and is oriented vertically. It physically blocks access to the connector.

The back of my 1088XEL shows the same: 

IMG_9785.thumb.JPG.92f925fd0d9d22922104d2d84c8f595c.JPG

By contrast, the DB9 connectors on my 1088XLD are front-mounted:

IMG_1487.thumb.JPG.a8e54c86d8724560f50940d4674cf887.JPG

3 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Look at @Stephen's post above showing the back of the XEL. The FujiNet device plugs into the SIO port and is oriented vertically. It physically blocks access to the connector.

The back of my 1088XEL shows the same: 

IMG_9785.thumb.JPG.92f925fd0d9d22922104d2d84c8f595c.JPG

By contrast, the DB9 connectors on my 1088XLD are front-mounted:

IMG_1487.thumb.JPG.a8e54c86d8724560f50940d4674cf887.JPG

I see now. I guess you said the solution is to get an SIO extension cable, right? but it would look strange...

Besides this, what would you say that the XLD gives you that XEL doesn't and vice-versa?

I'm just having a hard time deciding between one or the other ... I like both.

An internal fujinet board for my XEL is on my list of things to do. 

the reason so much stuff isn’t built in on the xel is because of the space requirements of the case. @mytek designed the xel first and then evolved the design to make the xld. 

I made my own xel, I did it before the xld was available and had I known the xld was coming, I’d have waited. 

if you aren’t into building your own thing, I’d say get an xld, the xel feels more like a tinkerer machine, I’m still designing a custom case for mine. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

An internal fujinet board for my XEL is on my list of things to do. 

the reason so much stuff isn’t built in on the xel is because of the space requirements of the case. @mytek designed the xel first and then evolved the design to make the xld. 

I made my own xel, I did it before the xld was available and had I known the xld was coming, I’d have waited. 

if you aren’t into building your own thing, I’d say get an xld, the xel feels more like a tinkerer machine, I’m still designing a custom case for mine. 

but it seems (maybe I'm wrong) that some of the upgrades available for the XEL are not available in the XLD, at leaset from THB. I did email him and he will probably clarify this question (he has been emailing me with great answers).

For example, the XEL I can pick VBXE, sophia C, etc. Am I wrong?

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/1088xel-xld/products/1088xld-by-mytek

https://thebrewingacademy.com/products/mytek-1088xel

20 minutes ago, Blues76 said:

but it seems (maybe I'm wrong) that some of the upgrades available for the XEL are not available in the XLD, at leaset from THB. I did email him and he will probably clarify this question (he has been emailing me with great answers).

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/1088xel-xld/products/1088xld-by-mytek

https://thebrewingacademy.com/products/mytek-1088xel

XLD can certainly run VBXE2, as mine is.  My XEL is not.

92.thumb.jpg.fa77bbe57a8c6979a862b21ce3013305.jpg

Loaded with every available upgrade minus Rapidus I think.

Ultimate 1MB

Stereo Pokey

Covox

VBXE2

UAV for stock video

S2 wave blaster / MIDI board

CF3 dual CF card HDD

Setup as a PAL machine

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blues76 said:

And you don't have to pick either. My XEL has UAV, Sophia C and VBXE. I wanted all the video options available so that I'd have plenty of options.

Edited by bfollowell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

XLD can certainly run VBXE2, as mine is.  My XEL is not.

92.thumb.jpg.fa77bbe57a8c6979a862b21ce3013305.jpg

Loaded with every available upgrade minus Rapidus I think.

Ultimate 1MB

Stereo Pokey

Covox

VBXE2

UAV for stock video

S2 wave blaster / MIDI board

CF3 dual CF card HDD

Setup as a PAL machine

@Blues76 My xel has all the same spec (except the covox ), but in a smaller footprint, without a nice case. 

Stephen and I can both fit a rapidus if we wish, I can also fit a covox like Stephen has. 

Mine is a challenge to wedge it all in, Stephens has lots of room. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have both.  The XEL is a basic build and I used a clear acrylic case. It has sio to pc which the XLD doesnt. I put my joystick ports on one side seperate from the rest of the connections. I don't have a CF card system built into it, and use an Sdrive Nuxx via sio instead. I like this system for playing games.

My XLD looks the retro part. It's a much more professional looking system. It does have the dual CF cards, VBXE, video conversion board, MIDI synth, UAV, stereo pokey etc. The midi is amazing. With this machine and 2 cf cards you really don't need other peripherals. It's pretty much self contained and looks the part. I don't like the VBXE color pallet for some games though. I may need a more atari friendly lcd monitor too. 

20200609_214922.jpg

20200609_212842.jpg

20201028_224239.jpg

Edited by chevymad
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

I note there is the 1088 XLD I/O ModSystem with "SP8266 based ESP-07 Wifi Board with modified C64Net WiFi Firmware and external antenna for extended wifi range."

Would that be replaceable with an internal version of FujiNet (e.g. with case or front panel mounted buttons)?

Unfortunately the Fujinet requires quite a bit more circuitry and would not easily fit on the 1088XLD I/O ModSystem. 

14 minutes ago, Dropcheck said:

Unfortunately the Fujinet requires quite a bit more circuitry and would not easily fit on the 1088XLD I/O ModSystem. 

So for a plain 1088XLD could something more crude be done like take the FuijNet board (uncased) and affix that to the inside of the top case and hook it up via a cable to the SIO-Aux?