IGNORED

1088 XEL - MyTek -- Your opinion and experience

Blues76

all in all it worked, and i knew from the beggining what i was up to

i never treated this like commercial project or something in that mindset - i knew it was your choice to make it that way, because i remember posting my comments on part choices when you started this

just SIP/DIP resistor packs were overwhelming and very hard to come by

if you could, please check parts availability in Farnell or TME too, as this the only other place for many european users (custom's and shipment cost from DigiKey make purhases like this uneconomical or even impossible)

it would greatly popularise your designs then

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2021 at 7:20 PM, ivop said:

What a rats nest ;)

Are you planing on going full SMD (0812, or smaller?) like the Ultimate C64, but with real Atari custom chips?

0805 is my size. 1206 is too big and 0603 is too small for my eyes and hands. I hand traced hard part (CPU, RAM, GTIA, ANTIC, CART and some small stuff). My plan is to make 100% compatible with original, but add: on board PSU (not 5V, but "any" (6-24V)), USB serial converter (maybe STM32F103), maybe RAM extension (recently bought 128Kbytes SRAM chips from Aliexpress and all were OK), change some component locations (no stuff under chips) ...

Still leaving PIC chips original... (dude, who sold me original PCB and PICs, You forgot fuses...!)

PCB file for Eagle I downloaded has metric grid, I converted to imperial 'couse original chips are with 0,1" pins. Now I have some problems with cart slot.

Don't worry, I will post all source file when I test the board. But as it is hobby, it is so slow... And now I bought Vectrex and Scopetrex... :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It may be possible, but requires major redesign- that part of PCB is very crowded. The source of these chips is old computers in scrapyard or even 128K ones from Aliexpress. One day I visited one scrapyard and collected ~20 of these chips... Now I have lifetime stock.

• 2 weeks later...