Jump to content
Blues76

1088 XEL - MyTek -- Your opinion and experience

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

So for a plain 1088XLD could something more crude be done like take the FuijNet board (uncased) and affix that to the inside of the top case and hook it up via a cable to the SIO-Aux?

The SIO-Aux only exposes 5 of the 12 needed signals for the Fujinet.  It's not a simple cut and paste operation.  You definitely would not like esthetics either inside or outside. 

 

Your best bet would be to use the external version of the Fujinet with a short SIO cable. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ZuluGula said:

Isn't there an issue with 1088XEL SIO compatibility with #FujiNet and some other SIO devices? Like it requires some diode or other fix? 

Yes.  Although I don't know if you can completely blame the 1088XEL SIO.  There's also some other issues with the Fujinet regardless of what Atari computer you connect it too.  Right now if you turn off the Fujinet using its own power switch, you often lose the pass through of SIO signals.  So if for some reason the Fujinet is not playing nice with other SIO devices in your chain, you're only option is to completely physically disconnect it from the chain.  They are working on a fix for that as I understand.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2020 at 8:23 PM, Mr Robot said:

@Blues76 My xel has all the same spec (except the covox ), but in a smaller footprint, without a nice case. 


Stephen and I can both fit a rapidus if we wish, I can also fit a covox like Stephen has. 
 

Mine is a challenge to wedge it all in, Stephens has lots of room. 
 


 

The Rapids *can* fit into an XEL, but if you want the CF2/CF3 in there, you will have to go with the modified footprint CF3.  You cannot fit the standard CF3 and a Rapidus, it is not physically possible.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MacRorie said:

The Rapids *can* fit into an XEL, but if you want the CF2/CF3 in there, you will have to go with the modified footprint CF3.  You cannot fit the standard CF3 and a Rapidus, it is not physically possible.

This is the board MacRorie's talking about: https://ataribits.weebly.com/xel-cf3-rapidus-variant.html

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mytek said:

This is the board MacRorie's talking about: https://ataribits.weebly.com/xel-cf3-rapidus-variant.html

 

MyTek (or anyone). Assuming I’m correct, XEL does not have a PBI. Is the thinking that a PBI is not needed since you can mod it and have space to do it? 

 

Im not sure if the PBI can be used much but the freezer mod, I think used the PBI (and I may be totally wrong)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Blues76 said:

MyTek (or anyone). Assuming I’m correct, XEL does not have a PBI. Is the thinking that a PBI is not needed since you can mod it and have space to do it? 

 

Im not sure if the PBI can be used much but the freezer mod, I think used the PBI (and I may be totally wrong)

The PBI is a 800XL/and some 600XL models only port.  When the 130XE computers came out Atari changed the original 800XL PBI port somewhat, making the combined cartridge and ECI ports physically and electrically incompatible.  You could usually find an adapter board that allowed most PBI devices to work on the 130XE and vise versa.  But not all. 

 

On both the XEL and XLD Mytek included the 130XE version PBI which is compatible with any 130XE "PBI" device,  assuming you can get it to fit in the case.  On the XEL Mytek also included a mini-PBI connector, primarily for the CF3 boards.  Third party device creators could also develop for the connector. 

 

The Freezer device depending on what year it was made in also came with an adapter board for 130XE computers. 

Edited by Dropcheck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dropcheck said:

The PBI is a 800XL/and some 600XL models only port.  When the 130XE computers came out Atari changed the original 800XL PBI port somewhat, making the combined cartridge and ECI ports physically and electrically incompatible.  You could usually find an adapter board that allowed most PBI devices to work on the 130XE and vise versa.  But not all. 

 

On both the XEL and XLD Mytek included the 130XE version PBI which is compatible with any 130XE "PBI" device,  assuming you can get it to fit in the case.  On the XEL Mytek also included a mini-PBI connector, primarily for the CF3 boards.  Third party device creators could also develop for the connector. 

 

The Freezer device depending on what year it was made in also came with an adapter board for 130XE computers. 

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dropcheck said:

The PBI is a 800XL/and some 600XL models only port.  When the 130XE computers came out Atari changed the original 800XL PBI port somewhat, making the combined cartridge and ECI ports physically and electrically incompatible.  You could usually find an adapter board that allowed most PBI devices to work on the 130XE and vise versa.  But not all. 

 

On both the XEL and XLD Mytek included the 130XE version PBI which is compatible with any 130XE "PBI" device,  assuming you can get it to fit in the case.  On the XEL Mytek also included a mini-PBI connector, primarily for the CF3 boards.  Third party device creators could also develop for the connector. 

 

The Freezer device depending on what year it was made in also came with an adapter board for 130XE computers. 

I wonder what was the reasoning to change the PBI for the 130xe from the Atari Perspective ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blues76 said:

I wonder what was the reasoning to change the PBI for the 130xe from the Atari Perspective ?

As with all Tramiel era Atari decisions, it was all about cost

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr Robot said:

As with all Tramiel era Atari decisions, it was all about cost

Sad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great way to ensure that almost zero devices were ever produced to use an expansion port.  Change the port with every new machine release (while never adding new features to underlying machines).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stephen said:

Great way to ensure that almost zero devices were ever produced to use an expansion port.  Change the port with every new machine release (while never adding new features to underlying machines).

Or in some cases fail to even provide one. The 1200XL was released with no PBI, although the base design it was derived from had it. And then the stupid decision to leave out the 5V connection on the 800XL version, what was the thinking behind that?. These were all pre Tramiel era F'ups. Then came the 65XE minus the ECI connector, whereas the 130XE and the 800XE had it. All of these decisions were likely about saving a few cents here and there.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

How did the wife take it? 

She doesn’t know — So, If I’m not around, either 1. I’m using my XEL or 2. I’m in trouble 

lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He can tell her that it's three times cheaper than Atari 800 when it came out 40 years ago, and it's for school and work. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZuluGula said:

He can tell her that it's three times cheaper than Atari 800 when it came out 40 years ago, and it's for school and work. 

:) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to thanks everyone for helping me out with all the questions. 

 

After this, the smallest atari and maybe an xld may be next but it will be a while. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ZuluGula said:

He can tell her that it's three times cheaper than Atari 800 when it came out 40 years ago, and it's for school and work. 

:) Well, not sure what I can do for work there. But gaming and for historical reasons.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...