IGNORED

Troubleshooting non-booting A4000 with green screen

OLD CS1

Well, my Amiga 4000D has stopped booting.  It was running fine after all the work I put into the memory.  Now it sticks at a green screen.  The boot-up diagnostics indicate the green screen is missing or damaged ChipRAM.  Being that it is the ChipRAM I just replaced, I popped in another 8MB stick and I get the same results.

After swapping SIMMs a few times and pulling the Deneb, I no longer get a green screen but the screen stays black and the power LED flashes.  Rinse, repeat.  I did find an interesting thing I have not seen documented anywhere: with a ChipRAM SIMM installed, the power LED flashes six times before the system reboots; without a ChipRAM SIMM installed, the power LED flashes 10 times quickly before rebooting.

I found a forum post which indicates U212, the RAS/CAS GAL, a GAL22V10B, can be implicated in these behaviors.  Reseating on-board FastRAM, ChipRAM, and RAM on my CyberStorm MK-III, as well as re-seating the accelerator has had no effect.

The next thing I am going to try is replacing the power supply.  Currently I am using an micro-ATX PSU with an ATX adapter for the 4000D.

Not getting to the PSU tonight.  I was thinking, though, that while I have the system stripped down I might as well install KS3.1.4 ROMs and get on that train.  Especially since I bought the whole package, have yet to install, and KS3.2 is upon us.  Moving from my 3.9 install, all the patches, and all the modules installed on the FlashROM is going to be fun... almost like re-learning my system.

I was happy to find today that removing the power supply and hooking up a bench testing unit seems to have resolved the issue of not booting.  I have not done a post-mortem on the old power supply to determine the fault.  I might be able to connect it back up and check voltages, but the unit is very old, anyway.  I have been needing to move to something like a picoPSU, anyway, and this might be the gateway to doing so.

• Like 2

Wow, more problems than I originally expected.  The power connector to the mainboard is loose (the on-board connector I expect to be fine from having been looked at by Acil during re-capping a while back,) and the CPU socket seems loose, too.  Ah, old equipment is always so much fun.  Booting now, nonetheless!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1