IGNORED

Atari ST A to Z: Exploring the ST's library of games

On 10/30/2020 at 12:17 AM, pjedavison said:

Haha, thank you. I do my best to play my role assigned at birth: that of bumbling British nerd.

I suspect this was an early ST title for a lot of people. Microdeal were big supporters of the ST in its early days, and they put out some really great stuff!

Going off memory, didn't they or at least some of their coders, cut their teeth on the Sinclair QL before jumping in on the ST?. 

Anywho, delighted i have found your threads, off to check out your videos. 

1 hour ago, pjedavison said:

Hello, hello! Got a much better game than last week for you all today. In fact, it's probably one of the most technically impressive games on the base ST -- I didn't know that this had an ST release at all until recently, as I assumed it was a strictly DOS PC affair. Was happy to be proven wrong, though! Here's Legends of Valour, a game specifically cited by Todd Howard as one of the main reasons The Elder Scrolls exists. Make of that what you will. :)

Just subscribed to your channel. 

The only thing i remember about this one, is some war or words spat between one of the team, Kevin Bulmer and Darryl Still of Atari UK at the time, over the Atari Falcon. 

Bulmer saying something about not supporting the Falcon, as Atari UK had yet to send his to him, Still saying it was sat at Atari UK waiting for Bulmer to pay for it? 

On 12/17/2020 at 10:17 AM, pjedavison said:

Hello, hello! Got a much better game than last week for you all today. In fact, it's probably one of the most technically impressive games on the base ST -- I didn't know that this had an ST release at all until recently, as I assumed it was a strictly DOS PC affair. Was happy to be proven wrong, though! Here's Legends of Valour, a game specifically cited by Todd Howard as one of the main reasons The Elder Scrolls exists. Make of that what you will. :)

Very cool looking game.  Seemed to play really well, too.  Definitely the Atari ST was one capable gaming machine for sure.  Take care and I look forward to many more videos to come.

• Like 1

Merry Christmas Atarians! Business as usual on my channel over the festive season (largely 'cause I have stuff queued up already) so here's today's Atari ST game -- following the "open world adventure" format of last week, it's one of my favourite games from back in the day: Paul Woakes' wonderful Mercenary III: The Dion Crisis.

Enjoy, and I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas. Thank you for all your kind support!

Hello and happy new year everyone! Here's this week's ST game: the Ocean adaptation of Taito's arcade classic, The New Zealand Story. Enjoy, and I hope you all had as lovely a new year's celebration as was possible under the present circumstances.

On 1/1/2021 at 10:43 AM, pjedavison said:

Hello and happy new year everyone! Here's this week's ST game: the Ocean adaptation of Taito's arcade classic, The New Zealand Story. Enjoy, and I hope you all had as lovely a new year's celebration as was possible under the present circumstances.

Good stuff the last two weeks.  Definitely I hope you had a great Christmas and New Year's.  Take care and best of luck in 2021 as I look forward to seeing many more videos in the time to come.

• Like 1

Afternoon all! Time for another ST game. This time around it's the second official video game of Quavers, the curly cheesy snack. Featuring Colin Curly, but not voiced by Lenny Henry in this particular release, sadly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pjedavison said:

Afternoon all! Time for another ST game. This time around it's the second official video game of Quavers, the curly cheesy snack. Featuring Colin Curly, but not voiced by Lenny Henry in this particular release, sadly.

Another good episode.  Funny enough, I actually played the game Pushover (albeit on the SNES), which wasn't too bad of a puzzler, but a bit more complicated than the game you reviewed today.  Anyway, I really enjoyed today's offering and I look forward to many more to come.

The Quavers episode finally made me say something.

God bless you, Pete. There’s a lot of retro fluff these days, much that I find too ironic, much that I find too reverent... to really capture the way I feel about these games.

Somehow you are able to look at these games with eyes that are no longer fresh, but that have remained unjaded.

You make me want to play old games.

Thanks, Pete. I love what you’re doing, and I begin to resent the brevity of our alphabet. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 4:47 AM, JeffJewell said:

The Quavers episode finally made me say something.

God bless you, Pete. There’s a lot of retro fluff these days, much that I find too ironic, much that I find too reverent... to really capture the way I feel about these games.

Somehow you are able to look at these games with eyes that are no longer fresh, but that have remained unjaded.

You make me want to play old games.

Thanks, Pete. I love what you’re doing, and I begin to resent the brevity of our alphabet. 

Only just saw this reply for some reason -- Tapatalk badgers me with notifications for threads I'm not actually following but fails to tell me when someone actually has something nice to say to me :)

Thank you so much for your kind words -- knowing that other people "get" what I'm going for definitely makes doing all this worthwhile!

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 9:50 PM, Christos said:

Like I told you (i think) on YouTube, I really appreciate how much effort you put in the research of your videos. Looking forward to many more.

About one step beyond, it's a really nice puzzler. Looks great too. I played it quite a lot.

Whether or not you did on YouTube, you did now, and it's much appreciated. Thank you so much!

5 hours ago, pjedavison said:

Hello everyone! It's time for another Atari ST game. This week we've got an arcade classic from Atari Games, converted by Elite for the Atari ST... a little late if anything, but it's still fun!

I've only played Paperboy in the arcade and on the NES, but this version looked pretty good and nearly to the level of the arcade.  While a fun game, it is not the greatest imo.  Still, it is a classic, no doubt about it.  And, as always, keep up the great work you do for the ST (and 8-bit).  It is much appreciated and provides loads of entertainment.