IGNORED

Atari ST A to Z: Exploring the ST's library of games

Hi folks, I posted a similar thread over in the 8-bit forum so I hope this doesn't count as spamming; just wanted to make sure I reached the ST enthusiasts with their own dedicated series as well :)

For the benefit of those who haven't met me before (which is probably most of you), my name's Pete Davison, and I've been an Atari user since I was old enough to hold a joystick. My family were devoted to Atari computers (first 8-bit, then ST) and my father John S Davison and brother John Davison jnr. were both regular contributors to Page 6 magazine (later New Atari User) here in the UK. My Dad tended to write about flight simulators, productivity software and MIDI, while my brother covered ST games. I even had a few articles of my own published in the latter years of that publication.

For just over two years now, I've been exploring the Atari ST's library of games, including those which I grew up with (many of which I still own packaged copies of) and things which are new to me. Besides playing the games I also, where possible, like to explore the history of a game along with any interesting bits and pieces that come in the package. Assuming I have said packaging readily available to me, of course!

Here's a playlist of the full series to date, starting from the very first vid in September 2018. Starting from episode 21 (U.N. Squadron) my wife managed to convince me to show my face on video instead of being a disembodied voice, and I ended up quite enjoying that format -- so much so that I gradually invested in some better camera equipment over time! If you really want to see my ugly mug, check the videos from there onwards :) I've also listed all the videos covered (including those from my other Atari A to Z series) over at https://atariatoz.wordpress.com -- please feel free to stop by there and say hi if you prefer.

I'll try and remember to stop by here a bit more often to post new videos as they release as it might be nice to have some discussion around the things I found out during my research, memories of the games and suchlike. For now, I hope you enjoy what I've done to date!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I've never heard of this game! Thanks for giving it the spotlight. It'll have to represent the category of "bizarre science-themed puzzle games" until someone ports Phozon to the system. :)

Atomino's a good 'un, for sure. Note that that embed is a playlist rather than just that video -- there's 108 other videos to enjoy on top of that one, so there might be some more hidden treasures in there for you to enjoy!

• Like 2

Here's today's addition to the series: Electronic Pool from Microdeal. I never played this back in the day but remember seeing it advertised in other Microdeal games that I did play a lot -- stuff like Time Bandit and SlaygonI didn't have much interest in pool as a kid, but now I have been to a pub and gotten drunk at least once in my life, I understand the appeal a bit more. Aside from that, this is a fun homage to Data East's Side Pocket.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, calimero said:

Electronic Pool... .... :)

One of first game that I get for ST. In same time I got “Around the world in 80 days”, “Boombuzal”... irc. 

btw

you have nice videos! It is real pleasure to listen proper english :) or “britans” :) 

Haha, thank you. I do my best to play my role assigned at birth: that of bumbling British nerd.

I suspect this was an early ST title for a lot of people. Microdeal were big supporters of the ST in its early days, and they put out some really great stuff!

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 6:59 PM, pjedavison said:

Hi folks, I posted a similar thread over in the 8-bit forum so I hope this doesn't count as spamming; just wanted to make sure I reached the ST enthusiasts with their own dedicated series as well :)

For the benefit of those who haven't met me before (which is probably most of you), my name's Pete Davison, and I've been an Atari user since I was old enough to hold a joystick. My family were devoted to Atari computers (first 8-bit, then ST) and my father John S Davison and brother John Davison jnr. were both regular contributors to Page 6 magazine (later New Atari User) here in the UK. My Dad tended to write about flight simulators, productivity software and MIDI, while my brother covered ST games. I even had a few articles of my own published in the latter years of that publication.

For just over two years now, I've been exploring the Atari ST's library of games, including those which I grew up with (many of which I still own packaged copies of) and things which are new to me. Besides playing the games I also, where possible, like to explore the history of a game along with any interesting bits and pieces that come in the package. Assuming I have said packaging readily available to me, of course!

Here's a playlist of the full series to date, starting from the very first vid in September 2018. Starting from episode 21 (U.N. Squadron) my wife managed to convince me to show my face on video instead of being a disembodied voice, and I ended up quite enjoying that format -- so much so that I gradually invested in some better camera equipment over time! If you really want to see my ugly mug, check the videos from there onwards :) I've also listed all the videos covered (including those from my other Atari A to Z series) over at https://atariatoz.wordpress.com -- please feel free to stop by there and say hi if you prefer.

I'll try and remember to stop by here a bit more often to post new videos as they release as it might be nice to have some discussion around the things I found out during my research, memories of the games and suchlike. For now, I hope you enjoy what I've done to date!

Very cool.  Glad to see someone giving the ST some gaming love as it was a pretty good machine in its own right.  Definitely I will check out some vids when I have a chance to.

4 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

Very cool.  Glad to see someone giving the ST some gaming love as it was a pretty good machine in its own right.  Definitely I will check out some vids when I have a chance to.

There's some great stuff on ST for sure. ST versions of multiplatform titles were often outclassed by the Amiga from a technical perspective, but I'll always have the most nostalgia for the ST as it's what I grew up with. And looking at the "best" version of the game doesn't always mean you're looking at "the most interesting" version of a game, so far as I'm concerned, anyway :)

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, pjedavison said:

There's some great stuff on ST for sure. ST versions of multiplatform titles were often outclassed by the Amiga from a technical perspective, but I'll always have the most nostalgia for the ST as it's what I grew up with. And looking at the "best" version of the game doesn't always mean you're looking at "the most interesting" version of a game, so far as I'm concerned, anyway :)

Yes, true, a lot of the multiplats were (much) better on the Amiga.  Still, the ST was a really good gaming machine that deserves a lot more love.  Also, yes, you are correct as well as "best" and "most interesting" are not necessarily the same thing, that's for sure.  Take care and keep up the good work.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2020 at 3:03 AM, pjedavison said:

Good morning all! Here's a freshly baked Atari ST video for you to enjoy, this time featuring the third Dizzy game: Fast Food from Codemasters, featuring a stirring soundtrack from Allister Brimble.

Good video.  BTW, have taken a deep dive into your ST game reviews.  I gotta say it is a bit of a breath of fresh air from the countless Amiga related stuff I see.  Definitely I think the ST was a good gaming platform that has been pounded into the dirt unnecessarily over time.  Also, I laughed my butt off on your Rick Dangerous video as I have gone through similar gaming experiences before.  Regarding the Zany Golf video, I had that game on the Genesis/Mega Drive.  It was a good game I thought and it is nice to revisit a time when EA wasn't soul-less as they are now as they published some really cool and interesting stuff once upon a time.  In the meantime, take care and I look forward to many more videos to come.

• Like 2

Good video.  BTW, have taken a deep dive into your ST game reviews.  I gotta say it is a bit of a breath of fresh air from the countless Amiga related stuff I see.  Definitely I think the ST was a good gaming platform that has been pounded into the dirt unnecessarily over time.  Also, I laughed my butt off on your Rick Dangerous video as I have gone through similar gaming experiences before.  Regarding the Zany Golf video, I had that game on the Genesis/Mega Drive.  It was a good game I thought and it is nice to revisit a time when EA wasn't soul-less as they are now as they published some really cool and interesting stuff once upon a time.  In the meantime, take care and I look forward to many more videos to come.
Thank you for the kind words! Plenty more lined up and on the way, don't worry, and I'm glad you've enjoyed what you've watched so far :)

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, pjedavison said:

Thank you for the kind words! Plenty more lined up and on the way, don't worry, and I'm glad you've enjoyed what you've watched so far :)

Hey, you are most welcome.  Glad to hear that there is a lot more to come.  Take care and I'll be on the lookout for new content.

Morning Atarians! Here's this week's ST video, featuring a game I hadn't played before but was always curious about: the totally-authentically-Japanese-honest-guv puzzler Gem'X! I had a lot of fun with this, and I'm sorry I missed out on it back in the day now!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pjedavison said:

Morning Atarians! Here's this week's ST video, featuring a game I hadn't played before but was always curious about: the totally-authentically-Japanese-honest-guv puzzler Gem'X! I had a lot of fun with this, and I'm sorry I missed out on it back in the day now!

Good video!  Really enjoying all of these great ST review videos.  Definitely this seemed like a good little puzzler.  Take care and keep up the great work.

5 hours ago, pjedavison said:

G'day folks! Here's this week's ST video, featuring an Ocean movie license game that isn't complete bobbins... though it is based on a movie I'll be surprised if anyone remembers!

Checked it out this morning.  Seemed like a decent little puzzle-platformer.  I know the movie was a flop at the box office, but I actually kinda enjoyed it.  It was good dumb fun imo.  Regardless, take care and keep up the great work.  I recently got a new little handheld device with ST games on it, so I may try to give some a go, like Rod Land or some of the others you have covered.

• Like 1

Checked it out this morning.  Seemed like a decent little puzzle-platformer.  I know the movie was a flop at the box office, but I actually kinda enjoyed it.  It was good dumb fun imo.  Regardless, take care and keep up the great work.  I recently got a new little handheld device with ST games on it, so I may try to give some a go, like Rod Land or some of the others you have covered.
Rod-Land is one of my favourite games of all time, and the ST port is magnificent. Hope you enjoy!

• Like 1

Greetings! Here's the ST game for this week -- Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off-Road, more commonly known simply as Super Off-Road these days due to licensing whatnots and shenanigans. The ST port for this arcade classic is a real top-notch job by Graftgold -- I was super-impressed.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 12:15 PM, pjedavison said:

Greetings! Here's the ST game for this week -- Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off-Road, more commonly known simply as Super Off-Road these days due to licensing whatnots and shenanigans. The ST port for this arcade classic is a real top-notch job by Graftgold -- I was super-impressed.

A classic game.  I remember playing the arcade version and the NES version (if memory serves me right).  Definitely a fun game and one I need to revisit soon.

On 10/28/2020 at 4:59 PM, pjedavison said:

I love your Channel, Pete! I also love reading your Dad and Brother's reviews in Page 6 and Atari User. Legendary Atari family! 

• Like 1

A big thanks to everyone who has stopped by my channel as a result of my threads here -- I was hoping I'd be able to get to know some of the broader Atari community a bit better, and judging by my view and subscriber counts, it seems I made a good choice to say hi here :) Thank you again for your continued support -- I know what I do is niche-interest but it's important to me, and I love it.

Anyway, here's today's ST game: Jupiter Probe, from Microdeal. This was one of many games from the prolific Steve Bak and featured music by the one, the only, Rob Hubbard. It's a decent enough shoot 'em up that offers a stiff challenge -- though one could argue it could do with a few more game elements like powerups and suchlike.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Morning lads and lasses! Today's game is a title I wanted to revisit because I remember my brother tearing it a new one when he reviewed it for Page 6, and I was keen to see if he was right. (He was.) I should mention, however, that I discovered after putting the video together I was actually playing what appears to be an earlier version. This is Karting Grand Prix by Anco, or more specifically the version of it which is preserved among the Automation menus. The standalone version found on Atarimania runs a little better and addresses a couple of things I mention in the video but is still... somewhat questionable, to say the least! Still, sometimes you gotta play stuff like this to truly appreciate the good games out there, huh?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pjedavison said:

Morning lads and lasses! Today's game is a title I wanted to revisit because I remember my brother tearing it a new one when he reviewed it for Page 6, and I was keen to see if he was right. (He was.) I should mention, however, that I discovered after putting the video together I was actually playing what appears to be an earlier version. This is Karting Grand Prix by Anco, or more specifically the version of it which is preserved among the Automation menus. The standalone version found on Atarimania runs a little better and addresses a couple of things I mention in the video but is still... somewhat questionable, to say the least! Still, sometimes you gotta play stuff like this to truly appreciate the good games out there, huh?

Man, this game looks like a dog sh*t public domain game.  I feel for anyone that paid any good money for this game back in the day, for sure.

Hello, hello! Got a much better game than last week for you all today. In fact, it's probably one of the most technically impressive games on the base ST -- I didn't know that this had an ST release at all until recently, as I assumed it was a strictly DOS PC affair. Was happy to be proven wrong, though! Here's Legends of Valour, a game specifically cited by Todd Howard as one of the main reasons The Elder Scrolls exists. Make of that what you will. :)

• Like 1