IGNORED

PSA: [Relatively] Cheap Jag+Jag CD bundle on eBay

cubanismo

No relation to the seller, and not endorsing them. I'm just surprised this hasn't sold faster given the other crazy eBay listings I've seen go by:

https://ebay.us/nNGrJV

I know, ~$1000 is still ridiculous, but a few months ago I was happy to have my first Jag + Jag CD with one controller and one game (all pieced together separately) for a bit more than that. Maybe prices are finally heading in the right direction at least now that stores have Switches back in stock again and people are saving up for the new Xbox/Playstation ;-)

Anyway, if you're looking to get into the Jaguar like I was 6 months ago and want to jump straight into the deep end with a CD unit (all in or nothing for me!), I've seen worse offers.

34 minutes ago, Goochman said:

Well its $1000 right now - its still got 3 days to go :)

It's a buy-it-now listing, so that's in theory the maximum price it would sell for. It showed up on my radar again because the price was reduced once already and eBay is well aware I like Jaguar auctions at this point.

Believe me, I've been suckered into getting my hopes up on many a Jaguar-related auction with low prices and ~3 hours to go, only to see the price quadruple in that time.

1 hour ago, JagChris said:

Boxed in good condition Jag CD alone goes for that much

That might well be - for boxed.  I don't see any boxes in this auction, just loose items.

I dunno; seems way too high to me.  I'm glad I got into Jaguar a long time ago before these crazy prices starting shooting up.

• Like 1

I don't know that it's cheap, but a loose Jag, Jag CD + Atari pro controller probably fetch around that much. I see an ended auction for over $1,000 with just a Jag, CD and regular 3 button controller. I need to grab my NOS Jag CD out of storage and get while the getting is good. 

Wow. I remember in the past year or so seeing a working Jaguar with Jag CD posted to either Facebook Marketplace or OfferUp for $650, which I thought was a little insane. Obviously, I haven't kept up with prices.

I'm certain at this point that I'll never own the CD attachment, and I'm pretty much okay with that (especially if the Jaguar GD does eventually support CD games). I somewhat regret not buying one when Best was still offering new, unboxed Jaguar CD units, but then again, I'm not sure I'm missing out on much by not being able to play Jaguar CD games.

• Thanks 1

I count myself extremely lucky to have a JaguarCD unit, especially since I acquired it by modding an Xbox, from a guy who found it in a dumpster. This was 13 years ago. At the time my friends and co-workers thought I got the short end of the deal.

I just can't believe how much money these are going for. It was a lot of fun burning all the homebrews, and access to the library is nice... but is it worth this much money?  I used to play music discs on it for the VLM on a whim, but now I'm too worried about snapping a rubber belt on it and ruining this "valuable piece of equipment".

I'll be glad when the Jaguar GD supports the CD images.

• Like 2

On 10/30/2020 at 2:53 AM, CaptainBreakout said:

I count myself extremely lucky to have a JaguarCD unit, especially since I acquired it by modding an Xbox, from a guy who found it in a dumpster. This was 13 years ago. At the time my friends and co-workers thought I got the short end of the deal.

I just can't believe how much money these are going for. It was a lot of fun burning all the homebrews, and access to the library is nice... but is it worth this much money?  I used to play music discs on it for the VLM on a whim, but now I'm too worried about snapping a rubber belt on it and ruining this "valuable piece of equipment".

I'll be glad when the Jaguar GD supports the CD images.

Kind of my situation.  I bought one CIB from a game store in '98.   Had several parties where Vid-Grid was actually pretty fun (Seeing the fingerprints in definite grid patterns on the TV when it was off the next day was pretty funny).

I never burned anything for it though.  It hasn't been taken out of the box in over 15 years, and I am reluctant to do so!

• Like 1

I have a CD unit and think, that´s apart from a collectors point of view a quite useless item and meanwhile ridiculously overpriced. How many games are exclusive and worth to play? Maybe three? Battlemorph, Iron Soldier 2 (and this game is available as cart too) and probably World Tour Racing. Probably I forgot a hidden gem, but in general, that´s it. The rest ... boring add on´s to already released carts (Hover Strike) , the usual FMV games as Space Ace, which were released on any CD console of this time or conversions of games from other consoles or multi-console releases (Primal Rage). Before to buy a Jag CD, better go for one of the Jag´s main competitors, the 3DO with 10-15 good titles (Need for Speed, Road Rash, FIFA Soccer, Madden Football, Super Wing Commander, Another World, W3d ...) for the same or less money. Just my2cent.

For some reason, I love to defend the CD unit. AFAICT, there's no great, compelling reason to own the CD unit in a post-skunkboard world. Prior to that, it was a great way to run homebrew from my understanding, and in the dark days when I was having trouble finding a skunkboard and the JagGD was just a light at the end of some tunnel of unknown length, I bought one mostly for that purpose. Yes, maybe I also thought I was going to unlock the potential of that 64-bit monster with my l33t coding skills and was certain I needed more than 6MB of ROM to do so, but I digress.

Regardless, I ended up loving it. It's jenky and needs tender care. It doesn't work well when used for extended periods on hot days even after all my efforts at refurbishment. It has maybe 5 good commercial releases.  But I love it anyway, and use it more than the cartridge port if you discount skunkboard usage for development.  I've encoded a few cinepak cartoon collections I can throw on when I need to watch the kids in my office while working (We try to limit screentime, and I'd prefer they be playing an interactive game, but sometimes everyone just needs to chill while daddy finishes some emails or root causes that bug). I really like my pirated copy of Battlemorph and so does my older daughter, and I can't wait for the Songbird re-release. I use the VLM all the time for ambiance when I'm doing some soldering or my physical therapist-mandated morning/evening exercise routine (I did something to my hip. Being old sucks). Vid Grid is surprisingly fun with a beer or (I imagine, I don't have real-life friends into retro video games) some company. I also love Blue Lightning obviously, even though I've made it through all of 3 or 4 levels so far. I tend to just throw it in and play those two or three over and over when I want some quick arcade flying action with a "remember the 90's?" soundtrack. And while some think it makes the thing look like a toilet, I personally think it aesthetically completes the Jaguar base unit.

So is it worth $600-800? No, absolutely not by any sensible measure. Go buy any 3 other systems if you're going to be sensible about things and measure your fun like an accountant. All my Jaguar purchases and activities are essentially a guilty pleasure though, and I don't regret paying $700 for one given all the use I've gotten out of it and the childhood dream fulfillment/regret correction aspect. There are far, far worse ways to spend ~$1000.

• Like 2