IGNORED

8 bit port of Ghosts and Goblins?

Steve Mynott

This one by Gonzo AFAIK.  Unfortunately, it will obviously be the case that a lot of 'tech demos' will be lacking a software sprites engine that the coder must add, this is often the best way for Atari 8 to preserve the amount of C64 colouring so that you can get a 5th colour, since the Atari player/missiles are limited.  All the players are used up for the main sprite and they need a character graphics sprite engine.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TracMan said:

This one by Gonzo AFAIK.  Unfortunately, it will obviously be the case that a lot of 'tech demos' will be lacking a software sprites engine that the coder must add, this is often the best way for Atari 8 to preserve the amount of C64 colouring so that you can get a 5th colour, since the Atari player/missiles are limited.  All the players are used up for the main sprite and they need a character graphics sprite engine.

Thanks I'll check that out.

The one I was thinking of was actually Hobgoblins which is different

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-hobgoblin_21453.html

50 minutes ago, snicklin said:

Lets all have an agreement not to mention Domain of the Undead.

He wrote it ;)

But what is it exactly what you don't like?

Well, it's not a "gameplay" masterpiece on the Atari, but there is much worse stuff available. 

The game shows fluent moving objects over a real background. It's also not common on the Atari.

It's also doing fine scrolling on a 40 byte wide screen. 

There are up to three (ooops.... sometimes 4) enemies walking , flying , and creeping around. Most "tech demos" don't even show a single enemy, if some background is used. 

Sometimes truth seems to be hard ;)

Edited by emkay
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, snicklin said:

I am not a fan of it as I do not think that the original game is good. Too difficult.

I think I might not be the only one who does not like the game. https://books.google.com.au/books/about/Attack_of_the_Flickering_Skeletons.html?id=qUVHDgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button&redir_esc=y

When games get their attention by the used gfx and sound. There are borders on the Atari that cannot be crossed.

It's that simple.  There are solutions to get games using higher framerates and good visuals. 

But for some reason similar things never had been occured. 

I did show this image in other threads, too. 

But this is the only way to get better"scrolling games with big sprites" . 

Some explanations:

The screen is using "180x240" pixels

The scrolling is done by the low detail offering PMg.  Hint: the darker blue is the background color. 

Both enemies and the "torii" is done using one character set. So they can be animated every frame, and move in a resolution of the character mode. Given that the "torii" can be handled as a masking object for the sprites. 

The game could run in narrow mode (no hw scrolling needed ) to save DMA reads for more CPU speed, but the main screen will be "180x240"

More details could be set with some added character sets, and where the moving objects don't cross the screen. 

The relative big screen also makes the character movement look "finer" . 

and so on. 

To make it more clear: This is the ONLY way to get better games of that type running on the Atari.

Except, you put a streaming hardware to the machine and play interactive videos. 

dojo1.png

Edited by emkay
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've looked at G&G sprites myself in the past and attached a SPM file of the original C64 sprites for G&G which can be loaded into http://spritemate.com.  I modified it to prove most of them could use the Brown, Green and White of the background.  Just P0+M0 would be needed as overlay to add the contrast needed for the 10 light blue pixels of the player and P1,P2,P3+(optionally) M1+M2+M3 for the zombies, birds and other creatures (I've used blue for the birds also like the arcade version).

gang_tweaked_latest.spm

• Like 2