IGNORED

Realms of Antiquity Poll: Media Distribution

adamantyr

Realms of Antiquity Poll: Media Distribution  

23 members have voted

1. 1. As I work towards the final release candidate for digital, the tangible version of the game is also in the works. I got most everything worked out, except how to distribute the game to 99'ers on an actual media. Things like floppy disk stickers will be a given! And every game box comes with a digital version as well. A cartridge holding the game binary is a nice bonus because it will load faster than it does from disk but you still need the disk system to play the game.

• Just some stickers for floppy disks is fine, I can burn the digital files onto my own media for use.
    • 5 1/4" floppy disks! I don't care how expensive they are and that it may jack the price up big-time!
    • 3 1/2" 720k floppy disks, because I want to make life hard for you and I got one of those weird systems... Hey those stickers better fit too!
    • CD-ROM, I can get files off of that, and it scratches the nostalgia itch!
    • An SD-card with the cartridge binary on it would be great! Wait, I still need floppy disks? Argh!
    • I want that custom cartridge with a pretty game label on it!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

As I work towards the final release candidate for digital, the tangible version of the game is also in the works. I got most everything worked out, except how to distribute the game to 99'ers on an actual media. Things like floppy disk stickers will be a given! And every game box comes with a digital version as well. A cartridge holding the game binary is a nice bonus because it will load faster than it does from disk but you still need the disk system to play the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adamantyr said:

As I work towards the final release candidate for digital, the tangible version of the game is also in the works. I got most everything worked out, except how to distribute the game to 99'ers on an actual media. Things like floppy disk stickers will be a given! And every game box comes with a digital version as well. A cartridge holding the game binary is a nice bonus because it will load faster than it does from disk but you still need the disk system to play the game.

I admit i have not been following development of this very close.

Does files on TIPI count as a disk system, or do you mean the game really needs a real disk system?

How about a NanoPEB?

As for the poll, SD card works for me.

• Like 1

I admit i have not been following development of this very close.
Does files on TIPI count as a disk system, or do you mean the game really needs a real disk system?
How about a NanoPEB?

As for the poll, SD card works for me.
Tipi works great
Game requires Sams so unless you can hook up Sams with your nanopeb probably not

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dev section. Technically still in development!

I actually may have found a neat solution... I can bulk buy micro SD cards that come with an adapter, are 512mb (small sizes are hard to find), and also include a USB 2.0 interface/storage. I ordered some to test with the FinalGROM. If that works, it could store both the cartridge binary AND all the files.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, atrax27407 said:

RE: 5.25" disks/ drives

There are pages of 5.25" disks on Ebay for about $1 per disk and there are also drives available.

Yeah, most of those are "not working or not tested" disks. :)

I got an offer though for a store of used disks from someone. That at least means I could offer the option to someone who REALLY wanted them that way.

Yeah, most of those are "not working or not tested" disks. [emoji4]

I got an offer though for a store of used disks from someone. That at least means I could offer the option to someone who REALLY wanted them that way.
I have good disks for a buck ea

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

I have plenty of my own disks, so getting it to a floppy isn't an issue--and since I build lots of cartridge boards, if the disk also has the cartridge binary on it, you can be sure I'll make a test cartridge to play with (and I'll definitely want the final version of the cartridge to go with the three or so sets I want to buy).

5 1/4" Floppy labels! And I do have 3 1/2" ones as well planned... however, I will have no means to actually create 720K 3 1/2" floppy disks, as I don't have the disk controller on the TI that can do it.

Unless someone has a means to create them on a Windows 10 PC using a PC floppy drive but it will format for the TI?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/644060282502643734/774321136036610058/20201106_091520.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1