IGNORED

Brazilian PlusCarts

Al_Nafuur

9 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

Expensive for Brazil, I think.  About US$64

I like the cartridge case.  How are we doing with GPL compliance on this?

4 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

Expensive for Brazil, I think.  About US$64

Yes they are pricey, I mentioned this on the PlusCart homepage (Buying a PlusCart). After updating to v0.16.7 (or v1.0.0 ? ) we will see in the PlusStore logs if he uses the STM32F407VET MCU with only 512 KiB flash ROM.

I like the cartridge case. 

me too. And the PCB (btw. did he released it like he promised? )

How are we doing with GPL compliance on this?

According to the GPL everyone has the right to build, sell and use a GPL product, as long as he hands the GPL to his customer. So to find out we have to buy one, or find someone in Brazil who buy's one.

As far as I can see he's producing (selling, releasing?) "Asteroids Attack" for Ricardo Pim, maybe we should ask him?

On 11/4/2020 at 12:04 PM, ZackAttack said:

I agree with @DirtyHairy, pirated harmony carts is not acceptable and I don't want work with anyone that continues to do so. My stance is either he comes into full compliance for all projects or he's not welcome in any of them. Hopefully he goes with the former since he appears to be capable of making some good contributions to the community.

Btw, are we sure that they are in fact pirated? If he designed the board and firmware from scratch that wouldn't be any different than uno and plus cart supporting dpc+ games.

Old post, but I am new here. This is 100% piracy, no question whatsoever.

This is less about the hardware, really. The only way to protect hardware is to patent it, as far as I know. It's why Compaq was able to create an IBM PC clone. And, Franklin copied Apple II computers, and wasn't sued due to the hardware but due to copying the BIOS from Apple. Compaq avoided this by writing their own BIOS.

However, he copied the label (which is copyrightable) and is selling them with the Harmony firmware without permission (which is also copyrightable). Not that I would give him permission, either, as his hardware is half-assed.

The only way he could escape copyright would be if he didn't copy the Harmony label and present it as if it were legitimate (with my name on it, even!) and created his own firmware (obviously, he never would).

It could be legal if he used his own label and sold it without firmware, that the user needs to download and install. But as he produced a hobbled Harmony clone (it has no USB plug and no USB chip), it probably isn't feasible for an end user to do anyway. And worse, he sells it for more than a real Harmony cart.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, batari said:

This is less about the hardware, really. The only way to protect hardware is to patent it, as far as I know. It's why Compaq was able to create an IBM PC clone.

IBM-PC was deliberately open-architecture. I believe it was the BIOS which was copyrighted. Compaq made a clean-room functionally compatible version, IIRC.

I've been thinking a bit about my earlier comment about "locking out" Brazillian PlusCart users, and how I thought this was a terrible idea. I still think this is a terrible idea for existing owners. However, it just occurred to me that we could notify the Brazil guy that we will no longer support any of his PlusCarts for future sales, until he is compliant in all aspects of GPL for all his Atari products.

That wouldn't disadvantage existing owners, and from that point he would knowingly be selling a non-working product. He'd have to either pretty quickly get his GPL act sorted, or basically stop selling functional PlusCarts and deal with his unhappy buyers from that point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

I've been thinking a bit about my earlier comment about "locking out" Brazillian PlusCart users, and how I thought this was a terrible idea. I still think this is a terrible idea for existing owners. However, it just occurred to me that we could notify the Brazil guy that we will no longer support any of his PlusCarts for future sales, until he is compliant in all aspects of GPL for all his Atari products.

I am not sure how he should prove his GPL compliance?

7 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

That wouldn't disadvantage existing owners, and from that point he would knowingly be selling a non-working product. He'd have to either pretty quickly get his GPL act sorted, or basically stop selling functional PlusCarts and deal with his unhappy buyers from that point.

As far as I can see from the logs he has already sold his first run of about 20 PlusCarts. And it seems that he just produced a second run, because I have seen 3 new Brazilian PlusCarts last week.

Currently it is very easy to identify his PlusCarts, because he mostly connects them to his account to download his set of offline ROMs. after that he disconnects them and dispatches them to the customer.   

14 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

Currently it is very easy to identify his PlusCarts, because he mostly connects them to his account to download his set of offline ROMs. after that he disconnects them and dispatches them to the customer.

I guess he is doing his quality test before sending that cart to his customers. So, you can identify carts from any of his customers if the Device Id appeared first in that guy's account (or any other repeating account).

On 1/12/2021 at 1:36 PM, Al_Nafuur said:

According to the GPL everyone has the right to build, sell and use a GPL product, as long as he hands the GPL to his customer. So to find out we have to buy one, or find someone in Brazil who buy's one.

As far as I can see he's producing (selling, releasing?) "Asteroids Attack" for Ricardo Pim, maybe we should ask him?

Hello guys
Thank you for inviting the group. I hope I can help you some way.

I took some time reading everything happened here. I'm going to try to help some way.

First of all, some considerations:

My English still is a WIP, rardely ever I need google, but still do it.
I don't know anything about hardware, I have no idea what stm32f407VET MCU is or anything like that I read here.
Details of everything I've read here will stay here.

About Asteroids Attack, I use Dablio Games services to produce, distribute and sell the game I created. Therefore I have direct contact with the person responsible for PlusCart in Brazil.

I have no involvement or knowledge of what is done by Dablio Games other than my own game.

About post theme I said to him only what was necessary for him understand what's going on here, like I read here someone saying, "His English could be equal our Portuguese" and sometimes we can't trust Google.

His words:

"I will share the whole design, board, chips and everything I use to produce PlusCart.
And why haven't I done it yet?
I still have to modify the design of the board because here in Brazil we don't use another system but the NTSC. To distribute the board design in the right way I have to include the switching for NTSC / PAL (PAL60) that they use (it works only for UnoCart board, for PlusCart it's not necessary). 
I also have to know what should I do to go into compliance with the GPL rules, because they are 2 project shared on the same board, in a way that meets all the rules."

Ok.Now it's me saying.

About Harmony, he confirmed to me that it was just the label and inside was the UnoCart. Maybe he tried to do it, but he couldn't.

So I understand he didn't use the original PlusCart design, created his own board design using the UnoCart board and now he's in doubt as to how to meet the GPL rules in this situation.

He also confirmed to me, his words: "If they want the project the way it is (NTSC only) he can share right away".

If I couldn't be clear at some point, please let me know.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I won't comment on GPL compliance, but I can say that you need to stop using the Harmony label, and stop selling anything with the Harmony name, regardless of what board is inside the case. Also, I don't authorize selling any third-party product with Harmony firmware, regardless of what it is called, without my permission.

• Like 1