IGNORED

CANNOT STAND ALIENS. V PREDATOR

Jaguar 2000

I cannot understand why people like this game or who beat it without going bald? 
the maps are extremely large and overly complex- a maze inside a maze- the map is just bland with no different color to indicate areas already visited- no enemy or item or objective color coding- no number- no reference points .

i spent all friday night and most of saturday stuck on Sublevel 5b and Airduct 5c on alien campaign.
graphically, this game is the best but poor level design and missing map enhancement ruins all the fun. its just wandering around aimlessly looking for a clue. 

I will be giving it away with the 3 overlays- i didnt get the booklet for it-
Anyone wants it?  I'll trade u for a jaguar game u hate. 

there are no jaguar owners in my town- so its either mail it as a trade to someone or throw it out. 
will pay the postage fees. you just pay whatever your courier charges you. 

Message me if interested.  

Edited by Jaguar 2000
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Jaguar 2000 said:

I cannot understand why people like this game or who beat it without going bald? 
the maps are extremely large and overly complex- a maze inside a maze- the map is just bland with no different color to indicate areas already visited- no enemy or item or objective color coding- no number- no reference points .

i spent all friday night and most of saturday stuck on Sublevel 5b and Airduct 5c on alien campaign.
graphically, this game is the best but poor level design and missing map enhancement ruins all the fun. its just wandering around aimlessly looking for a clue. 

Huh.  I enjoyed this quite a bit.  I did, however, map it all out back in the day.  I have attached them in case anyone needs them.  They are by no means perfect, but they got me through the game fairly easily (IIRC).

-M

Jaguar AvP maps_000289.pdf

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, MacRorie said:

Huh.  I enjoyed this quite a bit.  I did, however, map it all out back in the day.  I have attached them in case anyone needs them.  They are by no means perfect, but they got me through the game fairly easily (IIRC).

-M

Jaguar AvP maps_000289.pdf 3.47 MB · 4 downloads

my dude! how did you come up with those maps in detail? the map display shows only pieces of the map as you progress. 
this is impressive!!! mind if i follow it? i am stuck on Sublevel 4B -Alien scenario. 

3 hours ago, MacRorie said:

-M

Jaguar AvP maps_000289.pdf 3.47 MB · 4 downloads

which ones are the alien, predator and marine maps? 

1 hour ago, MacRorie said:

-M

Jaguar AvP maps_000289.pdf 3.47 MB · 5 downloads

These are awesome! Thanks :)

3 hours ago, Saturn said:

A kick ass pdf of the maps downloadable here as well.

wow! thanks man! i had no idea maps existed? they really didnt need to make this game so large. i blazed through Doom 1 and 2 on PC easily without a walkthrough. I missed some hidden items and stuff yes but i eventually beat it without maps. 

Yw, I thought the game was entirely too large as well. Got lost often and spent ages navigating the air ducts.

Tried to play it as a real life experience. A no rank Private emerging from cryo after his sentence (or bc of the aliens infesting the ship)

and not having a clue where I was or how I got there. Made it legit but didn't help with the sheer size. Couldn't play unless I had nearly a whole day to dedicate to it which was not happening.

Before Scott Bigham posted his maps I wouldn't even attempt it. Tried to play after reading a bit in the other thread and, same sh*t. Ran around for a while shooting the random alien, enabled God Mode, blasted everything then shut it off and went back to playing Doom.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jaguar 2000 said:

which ones are the alien, predator and marine maps? 

They're all the same.  All three campaigns take place in the same space station.  The only difference is that they start in different locations, and the Predator can't fit into air ducts, and the Alien can't use the elevators.

It sounds like you might be playing the game wrong.  It's not meant to play like Doom or Wolfenstein 3D.  It's more of a survival horror game.  You have to manage your resources while exploring the space station.  If you get to an area where you're horribly outmatched by enemies (namely sublevels 1 and 5), you probably are there too early.  Explore around for key cards and weapons, and the motion tracker. Use the automap to draw your own schematics on graph paper (or just use the ones provided above, but that's soooooo not 1995).

Of course it might just not be your thing, and that's totally okay.  But if you're looking for a straightforward, action packed experience like other FPSes of its time, you're guaranteed to hate AvP.

• Like 4

The maze element was one of the reasons the game was delayed and reworked to start with. 

Dan Mcnamee talking about the original 64×64 grid designs for Jaguar AVP:

Dan:They were random as in large, wandering,
pointless mazes that were little more than frustrating…game became boring very quickly.

There is a fine line between challenging and frustrating.
And when everyone who picks up the controller puts it back down within
20 min because they feel they are not getting anywhere at all since they don’t know where they are, what is going on, why there appears to
be nothing to fight, and the point of the game appears to be to walk
around corridors forever with nothing at all to do, I think that qualifies as frustrating. There was nothing challenging at all about
the original mazes.

I loved AVP at the time, purely because of the atmosphere the game generated and completed both the Predator and Marine campaigns, never went much on the ien campai, personally. 

But even at the time, it was frustrating at times for the reasons highlighted by the O. P regarding the map system and the fact the acid puzzles didn't dissappear. 

I look back at it as being the foundation for what was to come, AVP on PC and for that i am eternally grateful. 

I don't think it's a game i could play through now, i would find it too dated. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JagChris said:

I agree though at the time it was the first-of-its-kind sorta thing and fun to map out. But I find it sad that most Gamers these days aren't Gamers enough to slug through it. Because I did it on all three campaigns and it was fun.

Not quite sure what you mean here. 

Prior to Jaguar AVP, i poured hours into this and played it in a dark room, found the atmosphere for the time, superb. 

After AVP, this for myself was the definitive Aliens game:

Then i played PC AVP and the bar was raised further still. 

I recently 'slugged through' Alien Isolation on Playstation 4 after previously completing it on PS3 and at the end of it, wondered why. 

The time spent could of gone on games i would of gotten more from.. 

Jag AVP had it's time and was a great showcase title for the platform, but time has taken it's toll on it so what,gameplay wise especially. 

I did not care much for Jaguar back then, it was all about Amiga and PC in my zone. But when AvP was announced our collective jaws dropped, and we'd give anything to have it on our platforms. It looked (at least in scr$) miles better than Doom and it was a proper Aliens game. Bizarre thing is, I still haven't played it to this day.

For me the best retro Alien game is still the little-known strategy Alien from the 8-bit micros. There's also an interesting Aliens only released on the ST.

For me, Alien: Isolation is one of the best modern games. Problem is, I can't actually play it because it's too scary.

My usual patter with AVP is; get lost, run out of ammos, die, so may need to try again with these maps.  Thanks for all who posted. 

Would be nice to check this one off the "beaten" list for Jaguar for sure. 

@Saturn is there a key for those maps anywhere?  Like what all the colored numbers and letters mean?  Still trying to understand the progression; where to go first, what to do, etc.

Has anyone ever written a walkthrough to accompany these maps? 

It's not a run and gun FPS, it's a role playing simulation/survival horror. AvP is a one-of-a-kind. And, it's not too big, what are you people pissing about? I don't see what's so confusing. You check doors, it says Need Keycard X, you explore and find Keycard X, run back to locked doors and there you go. Progress! Repeat. Win game.

If you read the in-game computer files you can get hints about where the keycards are located.

• Like 5

It's right up there as one of my all time favourites. Personally I think its aged really well and I still give it a decent play through every few years.

Agree with most of the posts on the survival horror genre of the game, it really gets your heart pumping when your down to your last few rounds and have enemies chasing you.

• Like 2

I played through AvP as the alien and really enjoyed it. I'm surprised that others don't seem to enjoy that mode. I thought the idea of creating cocoons and having a new alien hatch whenever you die was a cool idea.

21 hours ago, Jaguar 2000 said:

And i will be happy to tell people i traded avp for supercross. i already have checkered flag. i love it. 

Hmm, I have a boxed copy of Supercross sitting on my shelf ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

My usual patter with AVP is; get lost, run out of ammos, die, so may need to try again with these maps.  Thanks for all who posted. 

Would be nice to check this one off the "beaten" list for Jaguar for sure. 

@Saturn is there a key for those maps anywhere?  Like what all the colored numbers and letters mean?  Still trying to understand the progression; where to go first, what to do, etc.

Has anyone ever written a walkthrough to accompany these maps? 

No key that I know of. Here's what appears to be the original page although the address has changed if you want to look.

http://www.thejagzone.com/jaguar/Codes/avpmaps/index.htmlhttp://www.thejagzone.com/jaguar/Codes/avpmaps/index.html

15 hours ago, chicgamer said:

I played through AvP as the alien and really enjoyed it. I'm surprised that others don't seem to enjoy that mode. I thought the idea of creating cocoons and having a new alien hatch whenever you die was a cool idea.

Hmm, I have a boxed copy of Supercross sitting on my shelf ...

Whilst the cocooning ability and extra speed were nice, they weren't enough to elevate the Alien campaign into the realms of really feeling like you were the Xenomorph. 

Had they been able to implement you climbing the walls and ceiling, something they wanted for the CD version or had the ability to track prey via pheromones or similar, it would of felt more alien. 

As it was, it just felt underwhelming.