IGNORED

CANNOT STAND ALIENS. V PREDATOR

Jaguar 2000

I AALLLLMOST beat AVP once as a marine.   I was the most badass on three ships.   Then a Facehugger got me.  :P

Could pulse rifle a Predator with no problem, but you miss a egg in a sweep, well, you're still human. 

Anyway, only advice I can give is don't turn the Jaguar off as you play.   Just play, then let the Jaguar stay on.  If you power the Jag off, everything you killed comes back!

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 1:58 PM, chicgamer said:

I played through AvP as the alien and really enjoyed it. I'm surprised that others don't seem to enjoy that mode. I thought the idea of creating cocoons and having a new alien hatch whenever you die was a cool idea.

Hmm, I have a boxed copy of Supercross sitting on my shelf ...

whats this about supercross 3d? :)

8 hours ago, chicgamer said:

Ha ha, if you really were to want to trade AvP for Supercross, I would happily make that exchange. Though, I think you really need to think this through. ;)

is super cross the game where the gameplay is so broken your bike goes right through the dirt mountains? or is that super burnout? 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jaguar 2000 said:

is super cross the game where the gameplay is so broken your bike goes right through the dirt mountains? or is that super burnout? 

Super Burnout is great 60fps gaming.  Super Cross 3fps is the one to avoid.  I swear - there was never a game on the 8-bit Atari computers, even shit written in BASIC that had a single digit framerate that was inconsistent enough to notice the drops from 8fps to 4fps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

I swear - there was never a game on the 8-bit Atari computers, even shit written in BASIC that had a single digit framerate that was inconsistent enough to notice the drops from 8fps to 4fps.

Steven MacIlwee says "Challenge Accepted" ;)

• Haha 3

If you want to hate on Alien Vs Predator, go ahead.  Good way to get people to talk.  I'm keeping mine tho.  The history of how the Jaguar hardware was influenced by the development of the game makes it unique enough, plus the franchise license and history.  It's also still possible to have an immersive experience with it.

Personally, I prefer Doom usually.  But the iconic Aliens and Predators were THE nightmare fuel growing up, sci-fi wise.  If I ever again find myself with the kind of spare time I had in my teens, I could see myself going on a kick watching all the movies and playing this to death.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

If you want to hate on Alien Vs Predator, go ahead.  Good way to get people to talk.  I'm keeping mine tho.  The history of how the Jaguar hardware was influenced by the development of the game makes it unique enough, plus the franchise license and history.  It's also still possible to have an immersive experience with it.

Personally, I prefer Doom usually.  But the iconic Aliens and Predators were THE nightmare fuel growing up, sci-fi wise.  If I ever again find myself with the kind of spare time I had in my teens, I could see myself going on a kick watching all the movies and playing this to death.

Doom and later Quake, Duke Nukem were Titanic games in the 90s. 
Alien v Predator is a First person RPG. I got to sit with 3-4 printed maps and directions on what airduct/room/level to proceed in specified order to advance in the level. does that sound like fun and relaxation to you? 

Lots of games aren't about relaxation.  If you think about it, it's much more common for a game to feature tension and some degree of frustration.  A good roller coaster is much more about tension than relaxation, yet tension can be immensely fun.

Alien Vs Predator is about immersion, and suspense, and balancing your resources while you explore and find your own way through the space station.

• Like 5

On 11/5/2020 at 6:06 AM, Jaguar 2000 said:

Doom and later Quake, Duke Nukem were Titanic games in the 90s. 
Alien v Predator is a First person RPG. I got to sit with 3-4 printed maps and directions on what airduct/room/level to proceed in specified order to advance in the level. does that sound like fun and relaxation to you? 

It's not that hard.  Like someone posted earlier, all the clues are in the computers.  The Marine campaign is the hardest of the three.  For a real challenge that is somewhat similar, check out Towers II.  Finishing Towers II is a monumental challenge.

• Like 1

well...after 2 hours exploring sublevel 1 and the predator ship, i finally managed to beat the Alien campaign but i feel as if i missed out on 85% of the entire level because all  i was concerned with was making it to the north west air lock chamber, ignoring the graphics and other background details in the level. Evading marines as best as possible unless i needed to cocoon them for extra lives. 
Finally killed off most of the predators in the ship, found the generators keeping the queen captive and busted them all to win and complete the Alien scenario. 

Will get started on the Marine campaign this weekend- expect some ranting- unlike the Alien missions, where u dont need to collect any items, health packs or weapons, but simply dash to the exits in the level and air ducts, the marine mission looks as if all areas in the levels will need to be explored. At least u got a gun, so no close up hand to hand fighting. 

Using those maps the kind members here posted. thanks again. I need those to get anywhere in this game. 

Edited by Jaguar 2000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaguar 2000 said:

Will get started on the Marine campaign this weekend- expect some ranting- unlike the Alien missions, where u dont need to collect any items, health packs or weapons, but simply dash to the exits in the level and air ducts, the marine mission looks as if all areas in the levels will need to be explored. At least u got a gun, so no close up hand to hand fighting. 

Just remember to conserve ammo as much as possible since pickups aren’t as common as many shooters and watch where you kill aliens or you’ll end up blocking hallways with deadly pools of acid

This makes me want to play through the Marine campaign again.  I feel like going and grabbing the first couple security cards and guns, and then getting myself lost in the training maze.  Such a fun game!

I played Alien Vs. Predator a lot back in the day.  Beat it over and over as all three characters and had most of the game memorized.  Then I put it down and barely touched it for at least 15 years.  I played it again last year, and I was psyched to realize I had forgotten where most of the keycards and weapons were.

So I played it again from scratch, mapping everything out by hand and refusing to use any outside resources, even when I got stuck halfway through.  It was one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've had in recent years.  Do you ever wish you could forget one of your favorite games, so that you could enjoy it for the first time all over again?   That's just about what this was, and it was glorious.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Iwantgames:) said:

Just remember to conserve ammo as much as possible since pickups aren’t as common as many shooters and watch where you kill aliens or you’ll end up blocking hallways with deadly pools of acid

yeah i remember seeingSecond opinion raving about that- u shoot an alien dead in a narrow hall or doorway, then u have no choice but to take some damage exiting the area by walking on the blood.  adds a kind of sneaky strategy. kinda like with the cocooning- i like to cocoon the marines in the new level that i just got to and near a reference point- so that way when the alien gets killed, he respawns in the same level and nearby where i can easily regain momentum in exploring.

1 hour ago, Cobra Kai said:

Just in case someone hasn't figured this out, ALWAYS SAVE YOUR GAME INSIDE THE ELEVATOR WITH THE DOOR CLOSED.

Which cycles back to what I said before, it saves your position, but not all the enemies that were dead by that point.

Saving is great.  Keeping the Jaguar on during the duration of the game if possible, even better.  Or play by emulation if you don't want to cook original hardware.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

Which cycles back to what I said before, it saves your position, but not all the enemies that were dead by that point.

Saving is great.  Keeping the Jaguar on during the duration of the game if possible, even better.  Or play by emulation if you don't want to cook original hardware.

Saving in the elevator is the only way to avoid ambush. Yeah, keeping the Jag on is technically the best route, but it seems very unhealthy for the Jag.

16 hours ago, JagChris said:

The damage from acid blood is minimal and more of an annoyance than anything. 

In my complete marine playthrough there were a number of times where the acid damage was consequential for me. When your health is high it's an annoyance. When your health is low it can put you on the edge of you seat.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hyper_Eye said:

In my complete marine playthrough there were a number of times where the acid damage was consequential for me. When your health is high it's an annoyance. When your health is low it can put you on the edge of you seat.

You'd think with all the cool weapons and tools they could have made some kind of armor and better boots possible.