IGNORED

CB Wilson - TI-99 related documents

acadiel

I'll put all the TI-99/4(A) related documentation as I scan it in this thread.  Working with @Ksarul to see how to best compile it, name it, upload it, etc.  Some of these, I can't tell the dates.  Some, I can, and some are bundled with others (folded together - so I guess I'll leave them scanned together.)

Anyway, here's an image (and associated PDF) from my large format 11x17 A3 scanner (bought just to scan all this stuff).  I give you the first test scan - early 1978, before it was called anything other than the "Home Computer Mainframe" - the TMS9985 8-bit home computer - the only such schematic in this entire collection about it.  The whole PDF is below.

Schematic dated 5/8/1978.  Product 156.

No photo description available.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Stuart said:

Anyone else get an error trying to open the PDF?

It opens in Chrome for me fine - and on my Mac in Preview.  Which program are you trying?

Edit:  Try this - it's a PDF/A instead of a PDF.  See if it works.  I'll try it on all my systems too.

Schematic dated 5/8/1978.

tms9985_1978_model_pdfa.pdf

• Like 2

Cannot open with any of a half dozen PDF editors/readers I have on hand either (Adobe Reader, Okular, SumatraPDF, Foxit, GIMP, gImageReader, muPDF).  Definitely looks like PDF data, by the headers/footers. But evidently something wrong with it or with the stream data, as downloaded from the AtariAge attachment. 

1 minute ago, pixelpedant said:

Cannot open with any of a half dozen PDF editors/readers I have on hand either (Adobe Reader, Okular, SumatraPDF, Foxit, GIMP, gImageReader, muPDF).  Definitely looks like PDF data, by the headers/footers. But evidently something wrong with it or with the stream data, as downloaded from the AtariAge attachment. 

Both of them?  Wonder if AA is doing something to the uploads.  Grr...

Notice one important reference that will continue through a lot of the documentation: Product 156. That number links everything (a lot of things for the 99/4A went by Product 360).

In also noticing that the schematic number stays the same too (for the most part.) It looks the schematic number is also a TI part number, just like the part numbers on the cart shells, etc.
  • Like 2

One more.  This appears to be the final 99/4 schematics - January 1980.

Next up - a huge collection of schematics dated August 1980 for the "99/3B" - no idea what they are, so will need the community to chime in.  They're all in one huge set of docs, including a 99/3B Z80 CPU Card.

ti99-4-jan-1980.pdf

• Like 4

I strongly suspect that the 99/3B documents were part of the "legendary" references that have shown up in the literature now and then indicating that some engineers presented management a Z-80 variant for the 99/4 to reduce cost, as the Z-80 was a lot cheaper than a TMS9900. The anecdotal references said they were shot down because it wasn't a TI part. I suspect this schematic set is the first solid proof that such a beast actually existed. . .

• Like 4

I have our GoFundMe up for the CB Wilson Document preservation that Ksarul and I have invested in. If you have the time or money, please consider donating - every bit counts. Regardless of what we raise, all of this will be scanned and placed on AtariAge and WHTech.   Thanks so much!!!

Go Fund Me Link

• Like 7

AtariAge might not like this one.  It's gigantic.

It's the TI-99/3B documentation from late 1980 (according to the dates on one of the later pages).  This was a Z80 CPU Card to replace the TMS9900 on a cost reduced system.  There are many timing diagrams, schematics, and more in this set.  The date (early 1980) appears before the 99/4A came out, so like @Ksarul said - it was likely a contender for a cost reduced 99/4.

ti993B-z80-documents-1980.pdf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2