IGNORED

CB Wilson - TI-99 related documents

acadiel

Unless you guys have other plans, I'm going to suggest that this would be an ideal final repository for any originals you don't plan to keep.

A lot of what I’m scanning are second and third generation copies. SMU will likely be looking at it and comparing it to what they have - which are originals.
  • Like 1

A whole slew of miscellaneous ALC/CC-40 documentation.  What couldn't really stand on its own got put in this PDF.

I still have probably a dozen data sheets and some color hand-drawn layouts for the logic chip that I need to scan, so I'm done done yet!  We'll then get into the Wafertape stuff, and then the TI-88 binder.

Unknown - ALC Miscellaneous Documents.pdf

• Like 3

This is one of the (almost) last CC-40 schematics.  This is a "pack" of 23 schematics that were folded with each other, so I scanned them as one document.  The first two pages were very rough; the pages were falling apart in the middle.  I'm guessing 1982 because that's when some of the schematics were made.

1982-CC-40-Schematic-Pack.pdf

• Like 4

No idea what these are, but this is the second part of the mylars and hand drawn routing.  This is the last part of the CC-40 documentation.  I do have one HUGE blueprint, which even my scanner isn't large enough to scan.  Will need to see if I can locate a poster sized scanner somewhere.

Up next:  Wafertape!

Unknown- Mylars and Schematics.pdf

• Like 3

The folder I'm in is almost an inch thick... mostly with timing diagrams where they extensively (and I do mean extensively) tested the Wafertape drive to fix a defect.

The TL;DR of why the WaferTape wasn't released?  The CPU had a bug in it and didn't work with the IDLE instruction.  I've attached the relevant memo/assembly below that speaks to that fact.

Edit:  By the time this bug was identified, TI pulled out of the Home Computer market, and canned whatever work was remaining on the CC-40 and peripherals.  From discussions with engineers around this time, the TI-74 reclaimed a lot of this work in 1984 and beyond and was launched within the Calculator division.   

1983-Waftertape-failure-root-cause.pdf

• Like 3

On 2/17/2021 at 3:10 PM, acadiel said:

The TL;DR of why the WaferTape wasn't released?  The CPU had a bug in it and didn't work with the IDLE instruction.  I've attached the relevant memo/assembly below that speaks to that fact.

Edit:  By the time this bug was identified, TI pulled out of the Home Computer market, and canned whatever work was remaining on the CC-40 and peripherals.  From discussions with engineers around this time, the TI-74 reclaimed a lot of this work in 1984 and beyond and was launched within the Calculator division.

I'm not so sure. But the first page describes a problem, the second page (reply) details two fixed bugs that don't fit the problem.

Their code seems correct as far as I can follow it.

MOVP %START,TIMER
MOVP %IC2S,IOCNTL    select & clear INT2
EINT
CLR B
IDLE
BTJO %SETBIT,B,RSYNC8

I2CS EQU >4C

The IOCNTL register:

image.thumb.png.d896ad799850cd3313d00310706708ce.png

CB is saying the IDLE is not released by INT2, which is enabled.

Ryoji replies that there was a bug fixed where clear & select might cause illegal exit from IDLE. But CB does that, and is saying it never exits.

Ryoji is saying you normally clear the interrupt, then select it again, because there was a bug with simultaneous select and clear. Wherein it might select but NOT clear. So it would fire immediately instead of IDLEing.

The second bug is that when an interrupt is NOT enabled, the IDLE state doesn't service the interrupt (as expected) but the IDLE state exits anyway...

Still CB calls this a surprising bug, and Ryoji replies with two bugfixes that don't fit CB's description.

If it were me, I would guess the bugfix#1 has caused a new bug. I would break the code into two operations.

try

EQU I2S >44

MOVP %I2C,IOCNTL    clear INT2
MOVP %I2S,IOCNTL    select INT2

But I guess we'll never know. It seems hard to believe that nobody ever tested the timer on the 70C20A, unless they only tested it the second way (as Ryoji supposes.) 

When CB says that the AMPL works, he is talking about the CPU simulator on a TM990/601. The 990 simulates the 70C20 and has a ribbon cable to the CC40.

P.S.   Where diagram above says 11 is a undefined state, elsewhere the book says it is the"microprocessor mode" which makes the full address space external. In this code, it operates with the internal ROM only (state 01 or >40) which maximizes the pins for GPIO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FarmerPotato said:

I'm not so sure. But the first page describes a problem, the second page (reply) details two fixed bugs that don't fit the problem.

Their code seems correct as far as I can follow it.

MOVP %START,TIMER
EINT
CLR B
IDLE
BTJO %SETBIT,B,RSYNC8

I2CS EQU >4C

The IOCNTL register:

image.thumb.png.d896ad799850cd3313d00310706708ce.png

CB is saying the IDLE is not released by INT2, which is enabled.

Ryoji replies that there was a bug fixed where clear & select might cause illegal exit from IDLE. But CB does that, and is saying it never exits.

Ryoji is saying you normally clear the interrupt, then select it again, because there was a bug with simultaneous select and clear. Wherein it might select but NOT clear. So it would fire immediately instead of IDLEing.

The second bug is that when an interrupt is NOT enabled, the IDLE state doesn't service the interrupt (as expected) but the IDLE state exits anyway...

Still CB calls this a surprising bug, and Ryoji replies with two bugfixes that don't fit CB's description.

If it were me, I would guess the bugfix#1 has caused a new bug. I would break the code into two operations.

try

EQU I2S >44

MOVP %I2C,IOCNTL    clear INT2
MOVP %I2S,IOCNTL    select INT2

But I guess we'll never know. It seems hard to believe that nobody ever tested the timer on the 70C20A, unless they only tested it the second way (as Ryoji supposes.) 

When CB says that the AMPL works, he is talking about the CPU simulator on a TM990/601. The 990 simulates the 70C20 and has a ribbon cable to the CC40.

P.S.   Where diagram above says 11 is a undefined state, elsewhere the book says it is the"microprocessor mode" which makes the full address space external. In this code, it operates with the internal ROM only (state 01 or >40) which maximizes the pins for GPIO.

The interesting part is that those four papers were grouped together.  That’s why I scanned them as such.  :)

2 hours ago, acadiel said:

The interesting part is that those four papers were grouped together.  That’s why I scanned them as such.  :)

Directly from Steven Reid:

"The problem ended up being documentation on one of the bits in IOCNTL being inverted.  One bit controlled SLEEP vs HALT when IDLE was executed.  It was documented wrong.  Change 1 bit and the Wafer tape would have been fine... but discovery made it too late to save it from the axe.  Sad. :("

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first part of the Art Hunter ("TI-88 Alex binder").  Almost 80 pages of GPD/Chip designations and release dates, including some interesting ones for the Home Computer (referring to Pre-School, which was Early Learning Fun before they renamed it).  There is also reference to TMC 1985 (Handheld Unit Transmitter), which is the only place I've seen that part SKU in print so far.

1970s-TI-Chip_GPD_Releases_Art_Hunter.pdf

• Like 3