IGNORED

CB Wilson - TI-99 related documents

acadiel

2 hours ago, acadiel said:

This is the first part of the Art Hunter ("TI-88 Alex binder").  Almost 80 pages of GPD/Chip designations and release dates, including some interesting ones for the Home Computer (referring to Pre-School, which was Early Learning Fun before they renamed it).  There is also reference to TMC 1985 (Handheld Unit Transmitter), which is the only place I've seen that part SKU in print so far.

1970s-TI-Chip_GPD_Releases_Art_Hunter.pdf 76.81 MB · 1 download

Actually, the Pre-School label stayed with it for the British release. I have one with the Pre-School Early Learning Fun title screen (it has a paper label though, so it may have actually been a qual unit). I'll have to dig it out and look at the GROMs to see if they are the version without the "A" at the end.

The letter on the TMC 1985 also explains why C. B. Wilson had one of them too--he was the hardware manager at that point in time, per the signature block.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ksarul said:

Actually, the Pre-School label stayed with it for the British release. I have one with the Pre-School Early Learning Fun title screen (it has a paper label though, so it may have actually been a qual unit). I'll have to dig it out and look at the GROMs to see if they are the version without the "A" at the end.

The letter on the TMC 1985 also explains why C. B. Wilson had one of them too--he was the hardware manager at that point in time, per the signature block.

I just got an email from Joerg Warner over at Datamath.org - "OMG GOLDMINE".  This reference with all these part numbers (and designers), once consolidated, is going to be pretty awesome.

• Like 3

The last part of the TI-88 ALEX - CH5 - Errors

With this, almost all of the CB stuff is scanned.  There are a few folders of Wafertape drive material left to scan, but much of it is boring benchmarks and graphs (which is why I left it for last).  I also have one large blueprint that I need to find a large (regular blueprint sized) scanner for.

1981-CH5-TI88-ALEX-Errors.pdf

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2020 at 4:02 PM, FarmerPotato said:

I read most of this survey. Knowing what random people wanted in 1981 informs my talking points for museum shows.

TI, you had pay-dirt, the very first freaking line in your report is DUNGEONS & DRAGONS.   I hope you put Kevin Kenney on it right away.

As I scan through, I get the message that people wanted stuff they saw on other computers in 1981. A surprising lot of folks asked for assembly language, and something very like Mini Memory. Sure, word processors and spreadsheets are eternal. What about the games?

A lot of the game requests seem to me to be aging 1980 Apple ][ and Atari coin-op titles. Only one each reports PAC-MAN TYPE GAME or GOBBLER! In 1981, the Apple ][ scene was brimming with riotous  variety, yet folks here were asking for late-70s games like Scott Adams, Star Raiders, Invaders, early Sierra graphics adventures...

Wizardry was 1980, but in 1981 came Wolfenstein, Ultima, Bilestoad, Robotwar, so many more--just google for Apple II games 1981. Perhaps this survey was only delivered in September 1981, using rather older data... 

Was this TI's first internal clue that they needed to bring in some 3rd party publishers?

We really needed ANOTHER QUALITY GAME LIKE THE ATTACK. I liked that one, too.

TEXT TO SPEECH WHEN IS IT COMING

We still ask this question.

I scanned for famous names. And I found a few! and some more requests that just made me smile.

Such as:

P.66

SSTV FOR HAM RADIO SLOW SCAN TELEVISION
AT THIS TIME A ROBOT SS TV CONVERTER 4-K
MEM STORGE I THINK SELLS FOR $800

MOORE JR, SAM 
SHERMAN TX

Wasn't somebody talking about SSTV on atariage a short while ago?

and this one below it

HOW DO YOU FILL UP THE SCREEN W/HEXAGONS

Yes, we all want Dungeons & Dragons or at least Avalon Hill! We'll make one ourselves!

p.68
SCOTT ADAMS ADVENTURE MFT ADVENTURE INTL
GALACTIC TRILOGY MFT BRODERBUND
HAUNTED HOUSE MFT CREATIVE COMPUTING

PINCUS, SAM
HINSDALE, IL

Nearby:

GAMES WITH SPRITES

p.50 or am I mixing up James Postle Sr?
PROGRAMS IN MATH OR SCIENCE FOR STUDENT
TUTORIAL ALLOWING TEACHER/STUDENT TO
INPUT QUESTIONS WITHOUT PROGRAMMING EXP

POSTLE, JOHN P
HAMBURG, NY

p.71
FACTOR ANALYSIS/PRINCIPAL COMPONENTS
MUSIC EDUCATION-K 1 2 BASIC CONCEPTS
SCHOOL MANAGEMENT BUS ROUTING ATTENDANCE

CLULOW, JOHN
PERRYSBURG, OH

Now I want to make John Clulow's day by making a PCA package...

What was his background?

Sadly, I don't see anybody foresee to ask for FORTH. A couple of FORTRAN though.

But on p.82

RADZAI, DR FRANK R asks for "A COMPUTER PROGRAM THAT WRITES PROGRAMS"

And then, SANTOS, HECTOR asks for THE LAST ONE FROM ENGLAND.

What is that? Another dungeon adventure game? No, it's a program that writes programs!

Here are some fascinating accounts of THE LAST ONE (found using googles.) You decide.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1293278/what-became-of-the-last-one
http://www.tebbo.com/presshere/html/pw8102.htm
https://teblog.typepad.com/david_tebbutt/2007/07/the-last-one-pe.html

'Scuse me, I have to go flog some 4GL tyres.

Reveal hidden contents

(No, I am not the E OLSON on p. 49)

I apologize for necro-bumping, but I know that Sam Moore Jr name!  (that's my dad, haha)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, digdugnate said:

I apologize for necro-bumping, but I know that Sam Moore Jr name!  (that's my dad, haha)

Hah, this thread is still active.  I have a small amount still left to scan, but nothing too interesting. :)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Just throwing some notes up here from my conversation with Steven Reid about the CC-70.

• A prototype of the mold for the CC-70 showed up on eBay from CB Wilson's estate.  It was an empty plastic chassis mock-up.
  • Steven Reid said the first run of chips for the firmware for the CC-70 had been completed, but the chips were bad.  Before he could get the chips remade, TI had withdrawn from the computer business in the fall of 1983.
  • Like 2