IGNORED

Fujinet story— Weather program

Blues76

I signed up and got my key, successfully entered it, but I don't see any difference at all in the info I get or any new info. What's custom about it for Weather.atr exactly? Maybe I'm trying to soon and have to wait for the 120 minute update?

At first it said my key was invalid, then I checked at the site and saw that you had to wait a couple of hours for it to be activated, which I did and it was accepted then...

Edited by Gunstar

The system only updates the free data every 10 minutes, if you exceed that a few times... you get suspended for a bit or may have to get a new id.

The app on the Atari should try to cache the data and only check every ten minutes. If you you exceed it and they email you, contact them and explain your testing your own retro app and they'll turn you back on. If you don't respond the suspension goes into full effect. A paid subscription gets around some of the limits etc..

Fun fact, you can have as many API keys as you need, getting around some of this if you use them round robin... ;)

By having more than one key/subscription you can skip holding on to the data. An just pull it fresh each time.

This is slightly unique in that they're re processing the data for a hopefully more accurate forecast.

NOAA and others used to provide similar services and data. (well they still do, but it can be a pain)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

@_The Doctor__ I don't think I've tried to access the free data (that is refresh the Weather program more than a few times a day), I'll check my email to make sure I haven't exceeded their limits, but as I said, I see no difference in the data Weather.atr gives me in the current weather data or forecast. What extra content should I be seeing with an API key?

Edit: Ok, I found out on their site what I'm supposed to be getting with the free API account, but nothing has changed in the Weather.atr program, no new data, I still just get the current conditions and forecasts for the next 7 days, just like I got before I got an API key. I did reset my refresh interval from 120 minutes to 20, so I hopefully will get updated information more often now. Maybe that's all this program allows?

Edited by Gunstar

I don't know if I just didn't notice before, and if it's wrong data coming from OpenWeather or an issue with the Weather program, but right now it is 12:13 pm where I am at but program says it's 12:13 am! The time zone is right though, showing GMT-6.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New version of my weather application has been released!

Improvements:
- now you can limit number of decimal places in displayed temperature (0,1,2),

- some bugfixes: location api change, am/pm bug

WARNING!

after first run your options will be set to default,

so if you have custom api key, you will have to retype it :(

I'm sorry! Subsequent updates will maintain it. 

Boot it from TNFS fujinet.pl /networking/weather.atr

Edited by bocianu
typo
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

Have noticed that sometimes the geolocation api endpoint doesn't answer, so it times out...

-Thom

Any idea why my settings are not being saved?   In the post it says they are saved in FujiNet, could there be issue with setting saved?  Can we remove them and see if saves again?

No he said he updated the software and your old keys won't be there, you will have to enter them back in...

any future software update should be able to retain your' api key so you won't have to put your' key in again for the future.

make sure you are running the latest fujinet firmware and latest weather.atr

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

No he said he updated the software and your old keys won't be there, you will have to enter them back in...

any future software update should be able to retain your' api key so you won't have to put your' key in again for the future.

make sure you are running the latest fujinet firmware and latest weather.atr

Yes I am always at the most up to date firmware and I just entered the key, was accepted and quit the application.  I went right back in and no settings were saved.    I went to TNFS server fujinet.pl and used the weather.atr from there.  

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

NO, you need your own copy of the weather.atr... everyone can't load and save to the one on someone else's tnfs server!

*deep-breath*

If I remember correctly, all of weather's settings get saved to appkeys, which were a way we came up with to store application configuration on the device, without needing to keep copies of the software.

-Thom

there is a limit to how many keys can be stored, and you shouldn't be using someone else's key, if the first key is used each time it leads to a time out for the key and if they were all stored in a pool... you would have to try another api key after a failure, or randomize which key is used on each launch or call of the software.

deep breathe as well

I don't remember anyone saying the keys are stored on the local device and then loaded by the external software for it's use.

If it is supposed to do that, that's great. He still can't get that to happen evidently...

There has to be a reason why the software works for some and not others...

Perhaps it's working with all things local and writable, and can't pull the local data for some path issue...

Perhaps there is a need to test that out and make sure it's working the way you implied.

Edited by _The Doctor__

7 hours ago, tschak909 said:

*deep-breath*

If I remember correctly, all of weather's settings get saved to appkeys, which were a way we came up with to store application configuration on the device, without needing to keep copies of the software.

-Thom

Is there way look at the appkeys or better yet delete them?

Just to clarify pi.hole is Network protection device that keeps blacklist and whitelist on DNS that carry ads or spam.  That URL api.ip.stack.com was on the blacklist as suspected spam, I added it to whitelist so it passes through and allows it to be accessed.  

Bottom line if he does not reach that site settings are not saved.  

12 hours ago, vinniet said:

Just to clarify pi.hole is Network protection device that keeps blacklist and whitelist on DNS that carry ads or spam.  That URL api.ip.stack.com was on the blacklist as suspected spam, I added it to whitelist so it passes through and allows it to be accessed.  

Bottom line if he does not reach that site settings are not saved.  

Hello!

Ok, thanks for reporting that issue, I will check it for sure.

And tschak909 is right, settings are saved on SD card in the device,

so you do not have your own copy of weather.atr.

8 hours ago, bocianu said:

Hello!

Ok, thanks for reporting that issue, I will check it for sure.

And tschak909 is right, settings are saved on SD card in the device,

so you do not have your own copy of weather.atr.

Correct and I found those files and moved them all.   Allowing me to get to the URL is what fixed the problem. Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2020 at 3:32 PM, bocianu said:

New version of my weather application has been released!

Improvements:
- now user settings and last location are stored, so it starts faster,
- you can set and use custom API key, and then change auto-refresh interval
- 2 new awesome visual themes by PG!
- some bugfixes
- It should work on all XL/XE computers, but not sure if it will work on 400/800. I don't have any of them to check it out, sorry ?
- Now application starts from .atr image.

Boot it from TNFS fujinet.pl /networking/weather.atr

Make sure you have the latest version of the firmware installed on your #FujiNet device, otherwise saving options will not work.

weather.atr 90.02 kB · 15 downloads

It runs on my stock 48K 800 but it will not accept any keystrokes which means I can't select Forecast. 

Console keys do work.

I'm running firmware 0.5.879c407c 2021-04-02 01:14:21 on a FujiNet 1.0.

I love your program BTW (when using my 800XL)!

Regards,

SteveS

5 hours ago, a8isa1 said:

It runs on my stock 48K 800 but it will not accept any keystrokes which means I can't select Forecast. 

Console keys do work.

If console keys do work, you can switch to forecast using START key.

thanks for feedback, I will check this keyboard issue anyway.

• Thanks 1