IGNORED

5200 OE HSC Challenge 11/2020 Robotron 2084

zylon

Twin-stick death this month with Robotron 2084, only 64 years away, so get your practice in :P Play on defaults with twin sticks or 1 stick, if that's all you have. Use original 5200 systems and Atari Mfg controls. Modern flashcarts/SD loaders allowed if running original Rom. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

Round ends when month does.

**You may use an analog stick in conjunction with a CX52, if that's all you have. No Penalty**

Current HSC records- Bust one or both for a bonus point!

Robotron 2084 -

(Level 1)(2 Controllers)
Nuclear Pacman 685,850 BUSTED!!!

New-

689,200  rubeon

Final scores:

689,200  rubeon +1+11=12

513,475  unoclay +10

504,750  DamonicFury +9

134,375  roadrunner +8

59,825  zylon +7

33,750  RangerG +6

Current standings-

DamonicFury - 100

rubeon - 95

roadrunner - 83

RangerG - 69

zylon - 66

troff - 24

Rogerpoco - 15

phuzaxeman - 12

patroclus99 - 10

hoosierdadee78 - 9

Moises Tuseto - 9

Robotron 2084.BIN

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

I'm newer around here.  What does the "OE" in the subject line mean?   I could throw my hat in the ring, though, I've lately been playing Robotron on arcade (gamecube midway collection) which is so much better, i might find it a bit frustrating to drop back to 5200 so suddenly.  Thoughts welcome!

2 hours ago, unoclay said:

I'm newer around here.  What does the "OE" in the subject line mean?   I could throw my hat in the ring, though, I've lately been playing Robotron on arcade (gamecube midway collection) which is so much better, i might find it a bit frustrating to drop back to 5200 so suddenly.  Thoughts welcome!

OE = Original Equipment , as per zylon’s rules above... “Use original 5200 systems and Atari Mfg controls. Modern flashcarts/SD loaders allowed if running original Rom.”

The low-res graphics are a bit jarring if you’ve been playing lots of arcade Robotron, but the port is super-fun nonetheless. Hope you’ll join in!

Oh i have it and like it, though, as I mentioned elsewhere, i was surprised to find that i like Space Dungeon more (on 5200).  Robotron is possibly my fav arcade game of all time, running with Tempest and other classics.  Its just hard to play robotron on 5200 with two sticks (given the challenges of 5200 controls to begin with) when i dont have a proper 2-control mount, and the framerate/gameplay is simply less adept than the arcade game (which, again, verges on a Perfect Videogame for me).  

Twin Stick shooter is one of my most favored genres.....Gungeon, Issac, Robotron, even the unfairly quarter-muching Smash TV...all tops.

Def will play, sooner than later.

Just realized, i have a question.

The original post/rules say:  Play on defaults with twin sticks or 1 stick, if that's all you have. Use original 5200 systems and Atari Mfg controls.

does this mean i cant use my Wico or Competition Pro?  Because if so...i only have 1 original 5200 joystick that works, and thus, i'd be severely handicapped.  No big deal if thats the rules, but, just wondering before i start trying.

Edited by unoclay
adding question

7 hours ago, unoclay said:

Just realized, i have a question.

The original post/rules say:  Play on defaults with twin sticks or 1 stick, if that's all you have. Use original 5200 systems and Atari Mfg controls.

does this mean i cant use my Wico or Competition Pro?  Because if so...i only have 1 original 5200 joystick that works, and thus, i'd be severely handicapped.  No big deal if thats the rules, but, just wondering before i start trying.

I know zylon used to allow the Wico (but not the non-analog Comp Pro) at a one point penalty.  I’ll let her chime in if that’s officially changed or not.  

In the meantime, you don’t need two fully working 5200 sticks to play dual stick Robotron.  Just one with a functioning Start button (and both with functioning joysticks).  I’d also recommend eventually picking up the original dual stick holder if you’re a big Robotron and Space Dungeon fan... it really is fun to play these excellent games as Atari intended.  

7 hours ago, DamonicFury said:

I know zylon used to allow the Wico (but not the non-analog Comp Pro) at a one point penalty.  I’ll let her chime in if that’s officially changed or not.  

In the meantime, you don’t need two fully working 5200 sticks to play dual stick Robotron.  Just one with a functioning Start button (and both with functioning joysticks).  I’d also recommend eventually picking up the original dual stick holder if you’re a big Robotron and Space Dungeon fan... it really is fun to play these excellent games as Atari intended.  

No one has ever asked to run that configuration. I'll tell y'all what, you can run 1 analog Wico with no penalty point, as long as there's a CX52 used with it. In this game, the fire buttons aren't used, so that negates that advantage. 

18 hours ago, unoclay said:

The "aim" of our game here is to provide the experience of 1982-1983 as reasonably close to what was. It also puts forth the most level playing field possible in theory. We do allow modern repro and flash carts running unedited Roms of the day, and the analog controls made by some for the 5200. What was unique most in the 5200 was analog, otherwise, you're playing just about anything else. Going forward, I plan to add some games converted to run on 5200, that were available during it's active sales life of 82-86. :) Still testing a few, and I believe my core players here do have means of running Roms I supply.

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

neat.  i will participate.  Its just a hard thing to have two working originals, plus the mount for two sticks.  

Also, FWIW, i agree partly, because above, you said "The "aim" of our game here is to provide the experience of 1982-1983 as reasonably close to what was. "

On that front, i can say i am super lucky--my grandparents bought us the Wico sometime in the mid 80s.  I played almost all of my 5200 on it.  I still own it, along with the uber-valuable keyboard.  So, for me, this is EXACTLY a mimic of 80s tech.  OG right here!

Edited by unoclay

Ok this is a two stick record, just to put something on the boards, one original controller and one Wico. Photos attached.  

Having been playing a lot of arcade robotron lately, i failed to realize that the 5200 would feel easier by comparison.  

This was easily one of my best runs ever as a result (recent practice), round 22, Score 295,725.  Sorry for the photo quality, im truly retro with a flip-phone.

Photo050.thumb.jpg.8ea9c64651aa13af169b35557c1b50f4.jpgPhoto048.thumb.jpg.816c5f57781c16331cb13f530c0bca7f.jpgPhoto047.thumb.jpg.ae1043f4e69f3fb4ecb67b2a64aa9c80.jpg

OH DAYUM ITS ON

that is one hell of a score.  I am going to need a lot of luck to top that.  Im sure the score i logged above is my best ever on 5200, only due to recent practice on arcade version.   Will put in some tries soon...

Fun fact: as of now, this is a Central PA vs. Eastern PA competition, i note from your profile.  What, is Robotron just simply the hot game in the keystone state?

Edited by unoclay
adding more words
  • Like 1

It’s a shame these kind of “shootouts” don’t happen more often... they ARE fun!  Zylon and I have had some epic ones in years past... pretty sure she won them all! The one where we kept swapping epic Judas Priest lyrics as we kept topping each other’s Missile Command scores was some of the most fun I’ve had online.

But back to Robotron... looks like it’s time to pick up the dual sticks again! 

i have a few modern game friends who are incredibly good at games (we're among the dark souls, gungeon, etc crowd) and would love to compete in stuff like this, but sadly, most arent the type of people to keep original hardware around.  One of them surely has 5200 emulation on his Pi, but again, wouldnt be the same.  Thats the real barrier to entry for a larger audience, here.  But im a fan.  Emulation and stuff is fine for history's sake, but im personally of the mind that original hardware (flawed or not) is part of the experience.  In other news, water is wet.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 9:00 PM, unoclay said:

OH DAYUM ITS ON

that is one hell of a score.  I am going to need a lot of luck to top that.  Im sure the score i logged above is my best ever on 5200, only due to recent practice on arcade version.   Will put in some tries soon...

Fun fact: as of now, this is a Central PA vs. Eastern PA competition, i note from your profile.  What, is Robotron just simply the hot game in the keystone state?

Oddly, I'll be up there tomorrow, lol, via the highway to hell (I-81) However, I"m nowhere near any good at this one. Maybe I'll fire up the 2-port I keep there. BTW- the C64 port of this sucks by comparison

Edited by zylon

I'm up northeast PA this week and ain't touchin' none of that, lol. One thing I'd ask is if that game was played in actual NTSC, being across the pond, and PAL being more common. NTSC is actually faster.

Edited by zylon