IGNORED

5200 OE HSC Challenge 11/2020 Robotron 2084

zylon

5 hours ago, zylon said:

Rubeon, are you playing in actual NTSC for this? If so, that's sickeningly good.

Heyo,

It's NTSC.  My 5200 is from the US, and aside from the S-Video mod is stock.

As far as I know, PAL 5200s are non-existent (I grew up playing the 5200 in north Georgia, so not interested in PAL anyway).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rubeon said:

Heyo,

It's NTSC.  My 5200 is from the US, and aside from the S-Video mod is stock.

As far as I know, PAL 5200s are non-existent (I grew up playing the 5200 in north Georgia, so not interested in PAL anyway).

I found mine leftover at the Blue Ridge flea mkt up there in 90's, lol

#1.  Holy shitballs, 600k

#2 maybe i'll try again but maybe i'll just hang my head in shame

#3 i didnt know PAL/NTSC was a factor--or that we'd be allowed to play on systems with different clock speeds.  but since its for fun, and not twin galaxies, prob not important ;']

this is insane, i def never knew normal people could push the scores this high on this game.

Edited by unoclay

9 minutes ago, unoclay said:

#3 i didnt know PAL/NTSC was a factor--or that we'd be allowed to play on systems with different clock speeds.  but since its for fun, and not twin galaxies, prob not important ;']

I’m pretty sure that rubeon is right and there is no such thing as a PAL 5200.  

Whew. As per normal, when seeing my score bested, i went and sat down and jammed the game.  But this time, unsuccessfully.  The wild thing is, due to all this practice, in about 6 tries, i cracked 400k three times.  Last run was 479,000, probably double+ my highest ever score before this HSC.  

Comical comparison situation--robotron is probably my favorite upright arcade of all time, edging out Tempest, i guess.  but playing the 5200 version is, in SOME ways, more fun, due to the limitations of speed and sprite population, its actually more "playable", in the sense that you can sort of dodge and weave and survive (much) longer than the arcade version.  I mean, as a "normal human player".   On the other hand, I once (about 3 years ago) watched a guy at our local barcade casually run the RoboT machine for 10 minutes at a stretch, i swear i saw him going for level 30? or more...cant remember, but it was night/day vs. my own SOP arcade prowess, it was visually insane....compared to myself, where i usually hit round 12 on a good run, if memory serves.  And again compared to 5200, where im in the 20s each time, basically, now.

Anyway, i may try some more, but unless i hit a really lucky run with good human placements and hand control...i might be maxing out

9 hours ago, unoclay said:

Whew. As per normal, when seeing my score bested, i went and sat down and jammed the game.  But this time, unsuccessfully.  The wild thing is, due to all this practice, in about 6 tries, i cracked 400k three times.  Last run was 479,000, probably double+ my highest ever score before this HSC.  

Comical comparison situation--robotron is probably my favorite upright arcade of all time, edging out Tempest, i guess.  but playing the 5200 version is, in SOME ways, more fun, due to the limitations of speed and sprite population, its actually more "playable", in the sense that you can sort of dodge and weave and survive (much) longer than the arcade version.  I mean, as a "normal human player".   On the other hand, I once (about 3 years ago) watched a guy at our local barcade casually run the RoboT machine for 10 minutes at a stretch, i swear i saw him going for level 30? or more...cant remember, but it was night/day vs. my own SOP arcade prowess, it was visually insane....compared to myself, where i usually hit round 12 on a good run, if memory serves.  And again compared to 5200, where im in the 20s each time, basically, now.

Anyway, i may try some more, but unless i hit a really lucky run with good human placements and hand control...i might be maxing out

If you're playing without the controller holder, you're doing an amazing job.  I can't even imagine trying to wrangle two controllers while also saving humanity!

I find the 5200 a lot more fun than the arcade as well.  Last summer I was at the PLAY Expo London where they always have a ton of old arcade cabinets and pinball machines on free play.  There was a man there on the Robotron cabinet who was absolutely the master.  He had a red Thriller-style jacket,  driving gloves, and a headband. We called him the Serious Robotron Man, and he was tearing it up.

I don't even know what his score finally was, he may be playing to this day.

>>>>>If you're playing without the controller holder, you're doing an amazing job.  I can't even imagine trying to wrangle two controllers while also saving humanity!

I play with one classic 5200 for firing, and a Wico for movement.  I rest them at arms length on the couch and press "down" slightly to keep them in place.  I dont have two reliably-working classic original controllers, so, it's a moot point for me.  Gonna go make a few more attempts now but....not hopeful for even second place right now.

After last night's session, im convinced that at whatever stage I'm hitting as I near 500k (dont have time to look at the stage #), the game difficulty clearly ramps up again.  I go from losing about 1 stock per board (2, on a bad one) to losing 3-4 stocks in a single screen, wiping me out.  I've hit around 470-490 multiple times now, and each time, i head into that point thinking "doing great, steady as she goes" and maybe 1 screen later, im decimated.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, unoclay said:

After last night's session, im convinced that at whatever stage I'm hitting as I near 500k (dont have time to look at the stage #), the game difficulty clearly ramps up again.  I go from losing about 1 stock per board (2, on a bad one) to losing 3-4 stocks in a single screen, wiping me out.  I've hit around 470-490 multiple times now, and each time, i head into that point thinking "doing great, steady as she goes" and maybe 1 screen later, im decimated.  

Can confirm.  It’s definitely not your imagination.  

1 hour ago, unoclay said:

I used to have a strategy of accepting losses on the tank wave, then making up for it with gigantic points during the brain wave with all the humans you can set free.  

After about wave 30 you can forget that, as the brain waves get absolutely brutal.  I can usually survive all the other waves by just running around and trying not to die, but when you have 15-20 lasers and reprogrammed humans chasing you there's only so much you can do! You can grab humans on the brain waves as the opportunity arises, but gtfo'ing as quickly as possible seems to be a winner.

I am glad the month is almost over.  i suffer from some weird problems with repetitive motion injury and hand pain, and im pretty sure the daunting task of getting the high score on this game gave me some serious finger aches today.  no pity requested, just reflecting that the frailty of the human body, with age, is a bunch of BS.

it's almost like my ape fingers werent meant for blistering fast robot combat via dual stick inputs over repeated hours and play-sessions.  

a mere 8745 difference between us--for the want of a mere few human rescues--like, 4--you would be sitting in 2nd.  basically luck on this one for me.    

no chance i would catch rubeon.  not without a lot more practice.  a lot.

love this HSC concept--a reason for me to play my old systems indeed. 

• Like 2

November closes on some heavy duty play this time, with rubeon bagging both the win, and busting a fairly longstanding record.?? Some seriously well played games this month here. Thanks to all who played, and I'll get something up for our yankee contingent to feel right at home. ;)

Final scores:

689,200  rubeon +1+11=12

513,475  unoclay +10

504,750  DamonicFury +9

134,375  roadrunner +8

59,825  zylon +7

33,750  RangerG +6

• Thanks 1