IGNORED

Stella 6.4 released

stephena

11 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The disassembly shouldn't stop in the middle of detected code, that's a bug.

Did you use 'Dissassemble @ current line' at the first raw byte? Or e.g. at 'Kernel'?

Also: Can you post the DiStella config file created in that situation by 'saveconfig', please?

Hi Thomas.  Thanks for jumping in!  I did try the Disassemble @ command in the raw block, at several different point, to no effect.

.cfg file attached.  It does not seem to show much, at least to me!

imm.cfg

4 hours ago, stephena said:

Also if possible, please post the ROM (all of it, including lst and sym files) and the process you used to get to that point (ie, exactly what you did to get to that point).  PM me if you don't want to post publicly.

Thanks Stephena.  I'll DM since I don't want to publicly release this game just yet! ?

EDIT... new info in next post!!!

Edited by MLockmoore
Added PS.

@stephena, @Thomas Jentzsch

New information:  I cannot reproduce the issue now.  ???  As far as I can tell, I only did two things in a different way compared to before:

(1) Just a few minutes ago, I ran the 'saveconfig' command to post the .cfg file as suggested.  I also tried launching Stella in a different way.  When I was seeing the issue, I was launching Stella in Windows 10 using a little bat file on the command line.  The file is 'debug.bat' and contains just this line:

Stella -debug [my-program-name].bin

(but with my actual program name spelled out in the file)

(2) As an experiment, and just after I ran saveconfig and closed Stella, I instead launched Stella from a Windows desktop icon (so no .bin defined).  In the file dialog bog, I navigated over to my .bin and loaded it, opened debugger mode, and now see the ROM disassembled as expected (no issue).  And now if I re-launch using my debug.bat file, it opens in the debugger mode immediately as I want and it has good disassembly. 

I even tried to delete the saveconfig's .cfg file before launching with the .bat and it still disassembles OK.  So I can no longer reproduce the issue I reported.

I'm not sure how what I did fixed it, but it seems to.  I ran Stella many dozens of times yesterday with the .bat file and the disassembly was always short.  I can still DM some files if you want to take a look, but I know it will be much harder to solve if it cannot be reproduced reliably.  ?

Speculation: Stella somehow had some unhelpful config state stored somewhere that keep causing me issues yesterday, but by doing (1) or (2) it got cleared out and things are working as expected now. Is this feasible somehow?

Anyway, thanks for offering help.  Stella is such a great tool for developers and players alike!

Stella 6.4 is amazing. Just in case I haven't mentioned that. :D 

That said, I have a couple of minor requests for Time Machine (which I find myself using a lot) :

There's a curious issue on my Mac with Stella 6.4 and Time Machine:

• When I use F12 to take a screenshot in Time Machine - nothing happens. Until I move the mouse over one of the UI elements (which triggers a highlight) or exit Time Machine. Then it saves the screenshot. In the game window and debugger it works normally - saving the screenshot instantly.

Feature requests for Time Machine:

• It would be nice to be able to save states to individual slots from Time Machine, the way you can from the game and debugger. I was stepping through Time Machine to save before and after save states of a specific bug, and had to jump from Time Machine to the debugger, hit save state, exit to the game, then back to Time Machine, go back to the next point I needed, back to the debugger, change slots, hit save, etc.
  • Also, it would be nice if you could jump from the debugger back into Time Machine. I haven't found a way to do this - it always exits straight to the game.

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Nathan Strum said:

Stella 6.4 is amazing. Just in case I haven't mentioned that. :D 

Thanks a lot (just in case ;) )

That said, I have a couple of minor requests for Time Machine (which I find myself using a lot) :

There's a curious issue on my Mac with Stella 6.4 and Time Machine:

• When I use F12 to take a screenshot in Time Machine - nothing happens. Until I move the mouse over one of the UI elements (which triggers a highlight) or exit Time Machine. Then it saves the screenshot. In the game window and debugger it works normally - saving the screenshot instantly.

Confirmed. That's an odd bug. I will look into it now.

Feature requests for Time Machine:

• It would be nice to be able to save states to individual slots from Time Machine, the way you can from the game and debugger. I was stepping through Time Machine to save before and after save states of a specific bug, and had to jump from Time Machine to the debugger, hit save state, exit to the game, then back to Time Machine, go back to the next point I needed, back to the debugger, change slots, hit save, etc.

Adding that should be no major problem.

• Also, it would be nice if you could jump from the debugger back into Time Machine. I haven't found a way to do this - it always exits straight to the game.

This is a bit more complicated, since Stella has no state stack. No promises here.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Confirmed. That's an odd bug. I will look into it now.

2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Adding that should be no major problem.

Both done for next release.

Eventually you owe me a few game reviews. ;) 

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Both done for next release.

Eventually you owe me a few game reviews. ;) 

Yeah... I owe a lot of game reviews. :roll: 

I have every intention on doing another game review.

Possibly two.

Sometime in 2021.

(Trying to set reasonable New Year's resolutions.)

• Haha 1

I have an interesting issue....

I have made a Jakadapter and it shows up as a Stelladapter.  It is a USB adapter with 2-ports, and it supports joysticks and paddles.

When I use Stella v5.0.2 it works good.  I can test it with 2 joysticks and I can test it with 4 paddles.  Everything is working good.  I tested many roms successfully.

image.thumb.png.98567e6bb9bcde3918d606b19b35191b.png

When I use Stella v6.4 the adapter does not work at all.  

Neither left port nor right port, and not joysticks or paddles work.

image.thumb.png.6d9eea983ecf48518d5f50df944a6a53.png

When I look at the controller setting, it is setup to auto-detect and it has detected the keyboard:

2021-01-09_0-38-36.jpg.627e7387921fea6bb65173836beb0aae.jpg

Sometimes when I manually change the port settings to either joystick or paddles, then sometimes it works, but more often than not it doesn't help.  Or maybe it'll work, but if I close Stella and reopen, then it stops working.

Any additional info i can supply to help with this issue?

I do not have a *real* Stelladapter to test with Stella 6.4 and I have not tested any versions between these two versions

Thanks for reporting. To get you right, it is not only the test cart which is failing, but all games, correct?

The controllers detected in "Game properties" do not depend on the physical controllers, but on the ROM used. Paul Slocum's test cart tests the Keyboard, that's why it is detected. So that should be unrelated to your problem. But you report it is not. Which makes me wonder.

I doubt anyone of the Stella team has that adapter yet. But it must report itself as a Stelladapter, else Stella would not have detected it. So I suppose it should be Stelladapter compatible. But obviously it is not or not completely.

Since it used to work in older versions, it would help a LOT if you could find the first version where it stops working. You can find older releases here.

If that doesn't help, we would need such an adapter. I suppose you cannot buy them, right? At least I cannot build them myself. No sure about the other two.

BTW: We have fixed some Stelladapter handling in 6.5 which should be released very soon. Maybe test in this one first. Please report back.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch