IGNORED

CF and the PCMCIA adapter

Randy

Slowly getting my 1200 together, I picked up an internal cf drive, all good there, and a PCMCIA card along with 2 Transcend 4 gig CF cards I plan on using to upload software into the internal CF drive.  When I go to the WB tools, there is a tool to get a CF card formatted, and it works insofar as it "sees" my cards as I insert and remove them from the PCMCIA, however, when I tried to format as either a drive card or a memory card, it returns a fail dialog box.  Not sure what is going on here, but I do seem to remember that there are certain CF cards that work with this way, not all CF cards will work with Amiga (?) or the PCMCIA device.  Any ideas?  Thanks

@Randy

Are you talking about PrepCard? That's only for using the old-style SRAM cards, not for CF cards or other flash card adaptors. You'll need compactflash.device to access the device, and fat95 if you want to be able to read a PC-formatted card. Both are available on Aminet (CFD133.lha and fat95.lha).

17 hours ago, Daedalus2097 said:

@Randy

Are you talking about PrepCard? That's only for using the old-style SRAM cards, not for CF cards or other flash card adaptors. You'll need compactflash.device to access the device, and fat95 if you want to be able to read a PC-formatted card. Both are available on Aminet (CFD133.lha and fat95.lha).

hmm, Ill have to go back and look at the program, it was on the Cloanto CF Workbench card I have in my 1200.  When I put the PCMCIA in the slot, as soon as I put in a 4 GB CF card, it was recognized by the software, however it came up with an error message when try to format it, it seemed as though it was going to format the CF in the PCMCIA slot, but then the error.  Let me get some more complete info together for you.

Yep, the program is prepcard.  So it doesn't work directly on the 1200?  Darn, was hoping I could format and use a CF card on the 1200, the one I got with WB and a bunch of software was said to have been formatted on an Amiga, was hoping to do the same without going thru all the hassle of using WinUAE and all that stuff.

You can, but as noted you need the driver and a filesystem.  The driver will set up a device like CF0:.  It has been a long time since I set this up on my 1200, but I know I can put a CF formatted for FAT32 or FFS and it will read.

Check out CFD133 on AmiNet.  It includes the compactflash.device, a CF0 mount, and a default icon for the CF0 device.  It uses the fat95 filesystem (not included, so you need to get that, too,) and a DosType of 0x46415401 (FAT/1) so it is geared toward Windows-formatted CF cards.

• Like 1