IGNORED

Double Dragon Game Guide

Cousin Vinnie

On my old site (Cousin Vinnie's Atari 7800 Froo Froo), John K Harvey and I received praise on our Double Dragon guide where we dissected the weird gameplay nuances for people who were used to playing good games with gameplay that made sense. We helped a few players actually beat the game, and that was a cool thang.........

So, I was adding it to my new site today (www.atari7800forever.com), and while editing it, I couldn't believe how sh*tty and convoluted it was written. I wrote the damn thing and sometimes I didn't know what we were driving at. So I spent a few hours trying to make it easier to understand and actually added a few techniques that I can't believe I left out back in 2005, or 2001- or whenever that was. 

So anyways, this still isn't the Great Gatsby, but it may help a few new Atari 7800 believers beat this weird game. It's better written, some dumb parts taken out, and its 4% funnier. I also included a video of me beating the game at the bottom of the page for those of us who want to avoid the election returns today and would rather watch an old man beat an old video game.

Here's the link!

www.atari7800forever.com/doubledragon.html 

• Thanks 2

@Cousin Vinnie you wiggle the stick mode to get them into intimidation mode is spot on, but I use it for something else.

I found out long ago..that you can actually get the enemies to not only be in intimidation mode, but they also continue to walk along the same line in your direction without changing lanes. As a result you move your character up and down enough that the enemy just starts walking straight along the path they were on...you can then easily move up or down and use an Elbow punch on them without them turning around to retaliate. That is how I get rid of the Abobo's in the game. I just move up/down to cause them to move towards me along the fixed line of path, move down below and quickly backup with an elbow punch. That was actually my most used method in the entire game vs the reverse kick method as the elbow punch seems to be more powerful and easier to pull off.

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

It's a very fun version of Double Dragon, imo... especially with a few graphic tweaks.  ;-)

:ponder:

"a few" :D

He revamped most graphics in the game...a night and day difference...

;)

Wonderful job, Kevin!

Now if only this became a reality...

...and some more, like this too...

• Like 1

It would be awesome to have a new Double Dragon for the 7800, even if by ROM image only.

Those two alone would be awesome:

-Graphic updates by KevinMos3

-Pokey music (as demonstrated in the videos in the post above)

Wishful changes:

-New sound effect for garage door

-Add sound effect for Abobo breaking through wall off screen.  (Dream change would be to add animation for wall busting... ;) )

I can live without the moving spears and wall blocks on the last level.  I never understood how a street gang's lair had such supernatural security measures in the first place.  (Lo Pan is on the STREETS?!) ;)

On 1/29/2021 at 5:21 PM, KevinMos3 said:

It's a very fun version of Double Dragon, imo... especially with a few graphic tweaks.  ;-)

I like it better than other home console ports.

And it would be great to have a binary of this update for use with cartridges.

;-)

Nothing like playing on actual hardware...!

11 hours ago, MattelAquarius said:

It would be awesome to have a new Double Dragon for the 7800, even if by ROM image only.

Those two alone would be awesome:

-Graphic updates by KevinMos3

-Pokey music (as demonstrated in the videos in the post above)

Wishful changes:

-New sound effect for garage door

-Add sound effect for Abobo breaking through wall off screen.  (Dream change would be to add animation for wall busting... ;) )

I can live without the moving spears and wall blocks on the last level.  I never understood how a street gang's lair had such supernatural security measures in the first place.  (Lo Pan is on the STREETS?!) ;)

I miss the grappling moves, too

Edited by Cousin Vinnie
  • Like 1