IGNORED

Replacement cartridge casing for Virtua Racing

No One You Know

I haven't had a very deep search on the web but nothing much has come up so far (I'm a bit unsure how to word a search too).

So I bought Virtua Racing for the Mega Drive (the one with the SVP chip not the 32x deluxe) from CEX here in the UK (:/) and I was really excited until I found out that they are not quite as expensive on ebay as I thought I had remembered, and there is also a big crack on the back half of the cartridge, and then I was feeling sick again as I have become all too used to (or not as it still affects me). It works fine, but I don't want it like that as you can imagine. So does anyone know if there are replacment casings I can get from anywhere so I can maybe replace the back part (that way it is repaired and there is one more good condition one in the world), or should I take it off and try to glue it and put it back on or something , or should I just return it and try to forget?

Edited by No One You Know

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had 3 versions of the Virtua Racing cartridge: USA, Euro, Jap. I left only the Japanese version, because there is a color manual. The reasonable price is not high. Here is information from my observations on eBay:

CIB (Sega Genesis), Hard Case - $19.00, $28.88
CIB (Sega Mega Drive, Asia PAL), Hard Case - $74.99
CIB (Sega Mega Drive, Japan), Hard Case - $14.08, $22.56
CIB (Sega Mega Drive, Europe), Hard Case - $22.80

You need to glue the cartridge, leave it for everyday play.

I have not met any replacement parts.

In any case, there is no reason to be upset.

HI everyone. Thanks for replying. SOrry I didn't get back sooner. I hadn't checked for a while. I was having a day where I was acting unreasonable. Getting worked up over stupid little things. I sound really shallow talking about value and everything, but what I mean is that I seemed to have remembered looking for them and thinking they were expensive before, and then when I saw it I thought I was getting a really good deal (which is not often the case when buying from CeX). Recently compared to ebay I have found that prices weren't that bad (usually they range from average to unreasonable (seeing a £65 PS2 made my day a month ago)) but everything that seems to be at reasonable price will usually have one little thing wrong with it, but I suppsoe that is the same as looking on ebay.

On 12/26/2020 at 6:11 AM, MojoJoJo said:

Maybe see if Terraonion of Mega SD fame can sell you a cartridge case because the Mega SD uses the same cart as Virtua Racing.

Thanks. I will remember that.

On 1/4/2021 at 4:49 PM, Тимур Лязгиев said:

I had 3 versions of the Virtua Racing cartridge: USA, Euro, Jap. I left only the Japanese version, because there is a color manual. The reasonable price is not high. Here is information from my observations on eBay:

CIB (Sega Genesis), Hard Case - $19.00, $28.88
CIB (Sega Mega Drive, Asia PAL), Hard Case - $74.99
CIB (Sega Mega Drive, Japan), Hard Case - $14.08, $22.56
CIB (Sega Mega Drive, Europe), Hard Case - $22.80

You need to glue the cartridge, leave it for everyday play.

I have not met any replacement parts.

In any case, there is no reason to be upset.

Thanks.  This was 12GBP (16USD apparently). Yeah gluing the cartridge is probably what I am going to now. I used to only care that things worked but at some point i started getting all precious over small things and need to stop really.

On 1/10/2021 at 3:20 PM, jgkspsx said:

I believe my Genesis copy of Virtua Racing is dead. I’ll double check. If it is, I’d be willing to sell it for parts for very cheap.

Thanks for the thought. I don't know if you are in the same country as me though (probably not judging by "Genesis"), so me buying it wouldn't be that practical though someone more local to you might need parts I suppose, and I am always hopeful that things can be fixed and continue to work rather than be used for parts though that may not be possible.

On 1/13/2021 at 5:47 PM, derFunkenstein said:

The SVP chip in those things seems to give out from time to time. I had one but pitched it some months back. Never occurred to me that the parts might be useful. 

Pitched it as in sold it?  I imagine the person buying would have used it for parts? I often wonder if things I have will be wanted by anyone. A lot of the time you think "surely not" but usually there will be someone who wants one and cannot find it. And of course sometimes that doesn't just mean something gets given away cheap, it means that it just gets thwon away, which I suppose is the positive side to things getting expensive and people knowing that it is valuable - preservation.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...