IGNORED

Warrior 64 Clone Console Is The Ultimate N64 Remake

No PAL support, so it's basically completely useless to me. It seems to be cheaper than what hyperkin was planning on selling theirs for, if you aren't bothered about buying controllers so there is that. I imagine the pal issue isn't a bother for most people though, but its always been ironic that European n64s couldn't output anything better than composite. (though there is modified s video cables available). 

3 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Here is a thing that I found a while ago that I thought is interesting. You may find it interesting as well, but maybe you won't. No promises.

https://www.retrorgb.com/intecgaming-makes-dubious-claims-with-the-warrior64.html

Thanks for sharing, not that I would have backed it anyways since as I already mentioned I already had reservations with it being another kickstarter. These seem to be very reasonable red flags brought up in the article and  at the very least anyone considering backing it should have a read to help decide for themselves. Everything always sounds like rainbows and roses during the funding process but we have experienced many times what can happen after a successful campaign. 

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

Jaysis. My brain hurts after reading this "article", but then, I did not really expect much from people who named their website "RetroDodo".

I scanned the Kickstarter but could not see any info about what is actually powering this (ugly) thing. Is it really a 1:1 board clone? If so, then it might start making sense, despite the rather poor pro-arguments (if your console is "dirty" then you can always clean it up) and overall cheap look.

EDIT: I see RetroRGB has already voiced some concerns, which was also my overall feeling about this lame campaign.

Edited by youxia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

No PAL support, so it's basically completely useless to me. It seems to be cheaper than what hyperkin was planning on selling theirs for, if you aren't bothered about buying controllers so there is that. I imagine the pal issue isn't a bother for most people though, but its always been ironic that European n64s couldn't output anything better than composite. (though there is modified s video cables available). 

FYI, the French (FRA) N64 had the PCB drawn to output RGB, but for some reason, Nintendo didn't included the required transistors and resistors on the boards.

Thus the console doesn't output RGB but you can easily mod it to do so if you have the knowledge (or not, it's really basic soldering).

A former employee of Nintendo Europe released, a few years ago, the components that Nintendo would have used so it's possible to see what a real original RGB N64 would have looked like.

I precisely did it the last week-end.

The result isn't as mindblowing as I expected - probably because people that record N64 gameplay using emulators instead of a console use or remove filtering on textures which make them looks less smudged, but the improvement is really apparent on text, untextured 3D models and whenever things move (so it doesn't really show well on pictures.)

On LCD :

(Composite then RGB)

photo5830320085032613806.thumb.jpg.5d684384c738f33a2c8fed4aefd7c084.jpgphoto5830320085032613807.thumb.jpg.54d8abd83bc966ac282b2d9ae042d2b7.jpg

photo5830320085032613803.thumb.jpg.1fd5dca3f2cc8fc308e80e875219eead.jpgphoto5830320085032613804.thumb.jpg.f2e781059be70c3005bba6aab420caaa.jpg

And on CRT (doesn't really looks that good on picture, looks better in reality )

photo5827834003342865873.thumb.jpg.cd780157c478065c691addddf46a09cf.jpgphoto5830320085032613779.thumb.jpg.a4c5461fd8ec2c2e49f117bd5f11386b.jpg

photo5830320085032613780.thumb.jpg.fb0b4cde0653ab0d1862c229f1eefe8f.jpgphoto5830320085032613778.thumb.jpg.17f049a70be54c42fbb3274fe262750e.jpgphoto5827834003342865876.thumb.jpg.fcebe6ec24bbce335b7b02ed81fa2c5a.jpg

For the article, thanks you for it's an interesting warning. Although, if that console was a recreation, I would have had HIGH doubt.

Why would you change the shell, but keep the same switch spacing and more importantly, the RAM expansion slot??? I know one game doesn't work with the RAMpack on (if I recall) but shouldn't that be something you disable in software? In manufacturing, extra doors, slots, contacts add up to the cost.

There is no reason to include the RAM expansion port on a recreated machine... unless that machine is really just a N64 in disguise and that the people selling it are such cheapstakes they don't even have the courtesy of getting RAM modules and provide them with the system.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 2

Well I think the trouble is more that we European would find us with unuseable PAL games. (and I'm pretty sure US games are as expensive as PAL games) Though if this system is a N64 with a HDMI converter then I assume (I never looked into N64 import) that any solution used BITD would work as it did in the past.

TV is very rarely a problem, plus since it's an HDMI system this isn't a problem at all.

Edited by CatPix

16 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Thanks for sharing, not that I would have backed it anyways since as I already mentioned I already had reservations with it being another kickstarter. These seem to be very reasonable red flags brought up in the article and  at the very least anyone considering backing it should have a read to help decide for themselves. Everything always sounds like rainbows and roses during the funding process but we have experienced many times what can happen after a successful campaign. 

Yeah, I have no interest in the N64 at all, but this article was the first time I heard about whatever this thing is supposed to be. Seeing that it looks like it might be made by Level Hike, which is a company that makes trash, that means insta-don't want, and anyone who has any sort of interest in the N64 should do the same since they will likely end up getting something that belongs in a landfill.

Now if it isn't made by Level Trash, that might be different. We'll see what happens when more information is available.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

For PAL maybe import a NTSC tv or is that too expensive?

This new console doesn't support pal carts which I have exclusively. Though to be fair I do have a romcart now, and the console ports out graphics by rom rather than console, so currently I have the amusing sight of NTSC roms playing in black and white unless I put it through a capture card. 

I've always wondered about modding the n64, but it never got enough love from me to really fiddle around with it. 

The whole thing is suspicious.  At first they were claiming it's a "plug and play" HDMI solution, but then they clarified in the Kickstarter comments that they were cannibalizing old N64 mainboards.  Then it turned out they had some weird connection with LevelHike, which makes some of the worst upscaler cables available.  Then they apparently released another video showing that the HDMI mod actually involves plenty of soldering not unlike the UltraHDMI mod.  They had promised to send prototypes out to people in the retrogaming community, but never got around to it (and with the success of the Kickstarter, it is likely in their best interests NOT to have anyone take a close look at this thing).

• Like 1

There is quite of bit of speculation and misinformation in this forum post. Here's some clarification after reading all the questions and answers that have been posted to their kickstarter page, and also their updates section. (you too can see all of them yourself if you visit their KS page)

The Warrior 64 console kickstarter option, will use original n64 motherboards from NA and Japan (it's not emulation), which means NTSC only..... BUT, the DIY kit (which is cheaper than the full kit... $95 vs $150), can supposedly be used on both the NTSC and PAL boards, and that is why they made that install video (so you can see what would be involved if you bought their DIY kit). After installing their DIY kit onto your own NTSC or PAL n64 motherboard (if you picked that KS option), you would then use the supplied Warrior 64 case (that is included with the DIY kit) to put your modded n64 motherboard into. Considering you'd be getting a rgb/hdmi DIY kit, new console case, and a new controller (the controller is only for KS backers), $95 ain't that bad in my opinion.

For the more expensive full console kickstarter package, the rgb to hdmi kit is already installed for you, so no soldering needed. They also mentioned that the boards they are using in the full package, will be cleaned up and recapped, so you won't be getting a n64 board with 20+ year old caps that could go faulty at any time from age.

A basic jumper pack is included with the full console kit (but is not included with the DIY kit). Which means some N64 games can't be played on the Warrior console (like DK64), or be played with better resolutions (example, Star Wars Episode One Racer), but then again, if you already own a regular N64 console with the red top expansion pack in it, just swap it over to the Warrior console. Easy peasy.

There is only two real questions that they have yet to answer fully to everyone's satisfaction (and I agree 100% that people should have this information). The first is the type of rgb to hdmi upscaler being used, and the second one is about lag. They did say that they have played with their finished modded console for many hours and they didn't experience any lag, but they also mentioned that they didn't have the necessary testing equipment to do a proper lag test (like RetroRGB or MLIG could do). Unfortunately, with about 2 weeks left to go, and with their KS already at 150% of their original funding goal, there would need to be more than 1/2 the backers to cancel for this KS to fail, but I doubt that will happen, and maybe that's why they have yet to answer those two outstanding questions. (?) ?

Edited by NotTooOld
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Just...Call me if Analogue ever makes one...

Actually, that gives me an interesting idea. Analogue started their business building Neo Geo MVS units into consoles and then the Nt (not Nt mini), both of which use original components, so I guess it should be no problem for them to take original N64 parts and do something like the Nt but have it be the N64 instead unless there are legal reasons that would prevent them from doing so.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Black_Tiger said:

It's actually nice looking, considering it's made to fit actual N64 guts.

The stock N64 is one of the worst looking and un-console looking consoles that was released up till that point.

And the Jaguar was better looking and more console-looking? It looked like something that came off the back of an X-Wing fighter.

So this company is taking the guts out of an N64 and giving it HDMI capability along with a new body? Did I read that right?

11 hours ago, Gamemoose said:

And the Jaguar was better looking and more console-looking? It looked like something that came off the back of an X-Wing fighter.

So this company is taking the guts out of an N64 and giving it HDMI capability along with a new body? Did I read that right?

Exactly, just like how the SG-1000 Mark II and Sega Mark III look like they're staight out of the Nostromo.

8 minutes ago, Black_Tiger said:

Exactly, just like how the SG-1000 Mark II and Sega Mark III look like they're staight out of the Nostromo.

That's actually a great compliment, at least in my book.

Overall, I'm not sure how would you like to define that something is "console looking". Could be interesting to read about parameters required for that :)

• Thanks 1

I don't see a good reason not to do an Analogue N64.  As long as either than can make a FPGA for it, or license/buy the one off Marshall for the UltraHDMI kit they have a hard key part of it knocked out as it's incredible.  The whole niche argument is crap given they've dug into the NEC circles now, not that Neo Geo was all that huge either all thing considered.

• Like 1