IGNORED

av mod NOT working on heavy sixer need help pls

runner2019

Hi,

I installed two vintagegamingandmore av mods on both a 4 switch and a heavy sixer last week-end. The one on the 4 switch is working fine but the one on the heavy sixer returns a very dark blurry screen. These are not the first mods of this kind I've installed. In fact I've installed about 8-9 in the past years with no problems whatoever (with the exception of one unit but it was the TIA chip, nothing to do with the mod itself). I followed the instructions again as this was my second heavy sixer ever. I removed Q202 and  R213 and also the RF unit. Although my soldering skills are not very good, all of them seem to be fine. Sound is great but video as you can see is really bad. Any ideas? Being it a heavy, should I have to have removed any other components? Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm sure most of you have a lot more experience than me at this. The pictures on the left are the 4 switch, the ones on the right are the heavy sixer's screens. As you can see there's a huge difference and something is clearly not right. Thank you.

IMG_20201103_215355.jpg

Sin título-1.jpg

Sin título-2.jpg

I apologise as this is not personal...

These circuits are getting old and some components will drift out of tolerance over time as a result.  This will often result in poor video performance.  It is quite common to see the band-aid approach where the AV mod is reached for.  However on the odd unit the indication is the components should have been checked and rectified before reaching for the AV mod.

With that out the way...

You've got a dim display indicating there is a component (at least one) which has drifted out of tolerance and there is increased resistance as a result.

You can check the components for the culprit(s) and replace, or take the lazy route and use a PSU with slightly higher amperage (I'd suggest keeping it under 2 amps).

• 11 months later...

Hi all,

I was wondering if any fix has been found here?
I too have a heavy sixer which I done an EV mod on and similar issues - removed the 75ohm resistor seems to improved the situation enough for it to become playable, but still not nearly as good as one would want.
Second try is gonna try to replace the other resistors as per advice in another thread, but wondering if anyone got any other suggestions?
Also, is there a readily available recap kit for the heavy sixer anywhere?