IGNORED

No PS2 or original Xbox forum?

I see we have forums here going up to Dreamcast, and in Modern Gaming starting with PS3 / XB360 / Wii. But no forum for PS2 or original Xbox? These things are 20 years ago now! And I just noticed there's not even one for the original PSX either, which is older than Dreamcast! I care much more about those systems than the PS3 / PS4 / PS5 / XboneSZseriesQ++.

Maybe there could be a new category between "Classic" and "Modern"?

Apparently there was a PS2 thread once, but it fell off two years ago:

Edited by Bruce Tomlin
  • Like 2

I believe traditionally AtariAge has covered everything (original) Atari, plus been the host forum for orphaned systems with small or no communities elsewhere. Recently this approach has been widened a bit, with adding subforums for Commodore (which has its communities elsewhere, but often are very Euro-centric) and most recently Dreamcast on popular demand. Note that there still are no general areas for e.g. NES, SMS, TG-16 or Saturn (though there is one for Genesis). At one point I suggested that the Dreamcast forum might cover Saturn too, despite they're two different systems.

It seems the general Modern gaming forum was created in 2001 while the X360 and PS3 subforums were created in 2006, probably to keep those discussions apart from all general modern gaming discussions. At that point probably it wasn't thought that PS2, original Xbox and for that matter Gamecube would benefit from grouping into smaller subforums.

If you can prove there is a huge demand for additional subforums, perhaps the admins will consider adding them. In the mean time there is an alternative in form of forming your own PS2 club. While it doesn't fully compensate an open subforum, it would let you drum up interest and show the demand really is there. I understand that discussions from a club not easily can be merged back into the forum afterwards (unless there is a migration tool from those developing the forum software) but that would be a later headache.

• Like 2