IGNORED

Atarimax SIO2PC and SIO2PC-USB cases

Mr Robot

• 2 weeks later...

An issue has come to light. Look at the pins on the white SIO connector, they are not correctly bent into the slots on the base of the connector, this makes the connector sit a little bit forward of where it should be and that makes the assembly a tiny bit too long for the case.

If you are planning to make yourself one of these cases you should probably check that and modify the model for the correct length before you print. 

I'm thinking about solutions to this problem, but in the meantime I've removed the models from thingiverse

vPsvZ4TU.thumb.jpg.173037e494f7a4b32b6b60b5089facb4.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

An issue has come to light. Look at the pins on the white SIO connector, they are not correctly bent into the slots on the base of the connector, this makes the connector sit a little bit forward of where it should be and that makes the assembly a tiny bit too long for the case.

If you are planning to make yourself one of these cases you should probably check that and modify the model for the correct length before you print. 

I'm thinking about solutions to this problem, but in the meantime I've removed the models from thingiverse

vPsvZ4TU.thumb.jpg.173037e494f7a4b32b6b60b5089facb4.jpg

Bummer.  I know I had an absolute bastard of a time fitting that white SIO connector in the SIO2SD board (adapter for my 576NUC).  It took me well over 15 minutes to get the pins inserted.

I think if I remove the yellow bit, make the blue bit deeper and put a block on the lid that rests against the chip it should remain stable but allow any sloppy positioning of the SIO socket. That is assuming the PCB is made to fairly tight tolerances.

KJftctoF.thumb.jpg.7772ac36e42c80e9cd24d7875c9cec35.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent!

After seeing your initial post, I'd thought about getting back to work on the model I was working on for mine. Alas, the holidays, work, and chores always get in the way of fun, and now you've done it again.

I'll anxiously await the results, then give it a try.

Thanks again @Mr Robot!

On 11/22/2020 at 5:23 AM, Mr Robot said:

they are not correctly bent into the slots on the base of the connector, this makes the connector sit a little bit forward of where it should be and that makes the assembly a tiny bit too long for the case.

It looks like the spacing between the 2 rows of pads for the SIO connector footprint is too large, the other row of pins connect normally.

I believe the 2 rows of pads are supposed to be arranged in equilateral triangles.

33 minutes ago, Wilheim said:

Great! Do you know it it fits in the white sio connectors version?

It should do, it's using the same fix to the problem that I developed for the other two models, just waiting for confirmation from a white sio connector user that it now fits his board properly and I think we're good.

9 hours ago, BillC said:

It looks like the spacing between the 2 rows of pads for the SIO connector footprint is too large, the other row of pins connect normally.

I believe the 2 rows of pads are supposed to be arranged in equilateral triangles.

The board is correct, the white connector is wrong. It looks like they used the wrong pins in construction because the wide pin doesn't become narrow for bending soon enough. The upper pins bend far too late so but the lower pins bend at the right place, this puts the lower pins too close to the upper pins and they have to be bent less than 90' to get the right pitch, this all pushes the connector shell forward.

vPsvZ4TU.jpg.50a5e975e39b0a8a271806e8747847ae.thumb.jpg.618dff0cd3c0e7e4f0f28c2bade358d2.jpg

Here it looks like a huge problem but the distance is about 1-1.5mm and isn't a problem for 99% of the time. Trying to get these things into a case with less than 1mm clearance so it doesn't all rattle around shows up the loose tolerance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

The board is correct, the white connector is wrong. It looks like they used the wrong pins in construction because the wide pin doesn't become narrow for bending soon enough. The upper pins bend far too late so but the lower pins bend at the right place, this puts the lower pins too close to the upper pins and they have to be bent less than 90' to get the right pitch, this all pushes the connector shell forward.

Here it looks like a huge problem but the distance is about 1-1.5mm and isn't a problem for 99% of the time. Trying to get these things into a case with less than 1mm clearance so it doesn't all rattle around shows up the loose tolerance.

I see what you mean. My dual port board also has these white SIO connectors. It looks like, rather than going down through the pin slots in the base of the connector, like it looks like they should, the pins bend down and go "behind" the connector, pushing it forward just a slight bit, just like you said. It's strange that the connector's base plate has slots for these pins to go through, but Steven didn't use them. You can clearly see how the connector hangs off either end of the board by about 1 to 1.5mm. The board even has a silk-screened spot showing where the plate should be, but it's off by the same amount because the pin slots weren't used.

IMG-4486.thumb.jpg.389bef0e1a930e580bbc76821644ff93.jpgIMG-4489.thumb.jpg.6590a4d93c9f8c02db972b593947f718.jpgIMG-4490.thumb.jpg.c6d24ae34200bbeba545ea653486dd04.jpg

Edited by bfollowell
  • Like 1

What I've done is use a hole for the PCB as the thing that locates in the case and the cutouts for the connectors hold to the board in place. As long as the board is made to a < 0.5mm tolerance it should be able to handle any variance in the connectors.

IMG_3968.thumb.jpeg.02bbd3720352f9ad1731be11c17190e7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just to add insult to injury, the white connector is also slightly wider than the black connector so the hole in the side of the case needs to be a tiny bit wider too. Whoever developed these things needs to learn how to use calipers properly. An extra ½ mm all around should do it, another test print

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Just to add insult to injury, the white connector is also slightly wider than the black connector so the hole in the side of the case needs to be a tiny bit wider too. Whoever developed these things needs to learn how to use calipers properly. An extra ½ mm all around should do it, another test print

Not laughing at your pain - laughing at the "learn to use calipers" comment.  I certainly wasn't impressed with the batch I ordered.  On top of the issue with pins, spacing, etc. the damn things are also not wide enough to use rivets to hold them down in any existing PCB out there.

If Candle designed these connectors, XXL would be letting these cases not fit and saying the connectors need updating :)

If I have to make the opening much bigger I am going to need two versions of the case or to accept that it's a bit rattly for the real connector version

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

If Candle designed these connectors, XXL would be letting these cases not fit and saying the connectors need updating :)

If I have to make the opening much bigger I am going to need two versions of the case or to accept that it's a bit rattly for the real connector version

I'll take the REAL connector version please LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Yes. I have just recieved an AtariMAX SIO2PC Serial Dual board and I'm creating a case for that. I have worked with Randy Kindig to get the white SIO to fit correctly but the dimensions are so different I've ended up with two versions of the cases, original or white. My printer killed itself over the christmas break and is currently waiting for parts so I can rebuild it to test print the last of the cases.

As of yesterday I'm just trying to get the measurements from @Gavin1968 for @Sikors new black remanufactured shells so I can make sure they will fit if they ever show up on an SIO2PC board and we're good to go.

• Like 4