IGNORED

Uridium demo.

shoestring

5 hours ago, snicklin said:

Please do not implement collision with anything on the main ship. That is what ruined it for me in Mirax Force, another clone of the game.

Thunderfox and The Last Guardian, IIRC also have spots where you can collide with the main ship, they are suppose to have longer shadows to help them stand out, or you just remember the next time what the object you hit looked like. But I do agree with you, I'd prefer not to have to deal with that either.

5 hours ago, snicklin said:

Please do not implement collision with anything on the main ship. That is what ruined it for me in Mirax Force, another clone of the game.

It may make the levels too easy even with the homing mines. I think the game can be too difficult than it needs to be, that came about because Julian Rignall ( a Zzap reviewer who was notoriously good at shooters ) was so good at the game during testing that the programmer decided to implement a few extra routines to make the levels more difficult to clear.

However, it could very easily be a menu option to toggle. Will most likely need to implement something like that anyway to test collisions on various objects. 

4 hours ago, Rybags said:

With big C64 games though, VBXE conversion or otherwise, you can usually create an easy memory hole by using the sprite area for something else.

VBXE also has that advantage with versatility of banking.

Used to play this game a fair bit to the point of finishing all the levels.  Like most of Braybrook's games, a pretty polished effort.

Or maybe even use a loader, this can easily be achieved by using something like xBIOS which is really nice.

The whole game doesn't need to fit into the entire memory does it ? The bonus screen and level data could be loaded individually from an atr. For the build you can have a simple batch file to cross assemble, then create the atr with something like dir2atr. 

Most of his titles, yes but I didn't like Morpheus. Paradroid was his best game IMO.

5 hours ago, ivop said:

Oh, don't get me wrong. Doing something just because it can be done is something I also do (and keeps you of the streets, as we say in the Netherlands ;) Why? Because you can :)

It's a challenge, and as I get older I've had the need to keep my mind going and programming certainly helps in that regard, it's and endless cycle of creating problems and then fixing them. I have some other hobbies besides computers that I like doing ( Sim racing, guitar and going to the gym on a regular basis ) but I get the most mental stimulation from programming.

2 hours ago, shoestring said:

For the love of god, just click the 'ignore this topic' at the top of this page and move on.

No need to spread your negativity in every single one.

My words are only keeping some truth. Also your recognition "emkay spreads negativity to every single one" is your own.

Imagine I'd click the ignore button to this thread.

Some C64 guy surfs the internet, and reaches the line "Uridium Demo for the Atari 8 bits". 

He immediately goes there. Then, what does he find?

A remake of the title, and some scroller that hangs after a while, not even a completely running demo. 

After you made his day, he moves on ...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, shoestring said:

It may make the levels too easy even with the homing mines. I think the game can be too difficult than it needs to be, that came about because Julian Rignall ( a Zzap reviewer who was notoriously good at shooters ) was so good at the game during testing that the programmer decided to implement a few extra routines to make the levels more difficult to clear.

However, it could very easily be a menu option to toggle. Will most likely need to implement something like that anyway to test collisions on various objects. 

I think that a menu option is an excellent compromise.

1 hour ago, emkay said:

My words are only keeping some truth. Also your recognition "emkay spreads negativity to every single one" is your own.

Imagine I'd click the ignore button to this thread.

Some C64 guy surfs the internet, and reaches the line "Uridium Demo for the Atari 8 bits". 

A remake of the title, and some scroller that hangs after a while, not even a completely running demo. 

After you made his day, he moves on ...

Cool story bro.

14 hours ago, emkay said:

There is a Saucer flying in Space, the angle of attack can be 360 degree  from all sides. There is no gravity the used hardware is far less limited.  So it makes no sense at all.

In your opinion all 2D space shmups on advanced hardware make no sense, like R-Type, Gradius, G-Darius etc. ? That is a little bit harsh.

• Like 4

Being called a troll by Emkay, the irony is so wonderful..

It made me smile..

5 hours ago, emkay said:

So much encouragement for the demo maker..Sigh..

• Like 6

I'm not into Uridium because I always thought gfxs could be much better as the ships.

Though on A8 we would need to have our ship as PMGs and its shots but also the shadow under it then all enemy ships must be soft sprites because there's no other way around I see (ok, Mirax Force has all as PMGs but are only 2 per line or it'll flicker if you had more).

Then all enemys should be soft sprites.

C64 as 3common colours: white, light gray and gray (these two can then change to light blue/blue or light green/green,... on other levels) so also enemy ships keep white but will change these 2.

Here's a quick example:

952843674_UridiumexampleforA8.png.1ca533c13d54243045169c4fa83429c8.png

Like C64 is black and that blue as PF2 & PF3 and on all levels what changes is the blue to any wanted colour but always keep the black.

Our ship may need to be resized as here we aren't with any PMG for the shadow.

Gray border as BAK then PF0 & PF1 as white and light gray.

Reducing our ship may cause also to reduce to 8/9pixels enemys ships so less cpu (they can be in [3x3]chars size each including theirs shifting/for movements).

Top status can be even in hi-res like you did as in these modes we can have a separate border colour.

As for the charset you can go for Interleaved charsets like I posted here and @popmilo some times and we're using on ours Wonderboy work.

Don't see anything other possible.

:thumbsup:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Being called a troll by Emkay, the irony is so wonderful..

It made me smile..

So much encouragement for the demo maker..Sigh..

Every time you react on people's writing ,it look like you're some C64 contingent. 

If people run into bad examples, you always support them.

If people are about to create something really new, you nag them till their behavior explodes. 

This is the most subtle way to prevent things from being done. You're really great in doing this.  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, ivop said:

Just create your own special horizontal or vertical scrolling shooter!

...Or how about a four way scrolling version of Caverns of Mars? :) Now that would be cool. Remember you read it here first ;) 

This. Just do it, your own way :)
Surprise everybody...

21 minutes ago, popmilo said:

This. Just do it, your own way :)
Surprise everybody...

See the problem. It's now more than 40 years of 8 bit Ataris , and Atariage is also in the 2nd decade.

It never has been so easy to get information . In theory, everything has been explained and approved, or even disapproved.

So, if people want to do some coding for the Atari, why not taking care of words from people who know things?

The scroller in this entry is the "gazillion" times done same mistake. It will never end up as the "game" on the real Atari.

So what's the case  at all?

Doing a scrolling engines that is ONLY using the PMg , and to leave all Playfield possibilities for additional moving objects, to finally get such games running on the Atari, will never be done, because "they know it better" . I'd say "no one knows it, before something similar has been approved".

Hint: VBXE and more than one POKEY isn't "stock" , if you understand.

As soon as coders use such hardware expansions, there is no approval of anything, related to what the Atari can do and what not.

Is it about "Atari 8-bits" or about modern hardware? There is no "and" . There is only a "could be" .

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2020 at 2:13 PM, shoestring said:

I'm afraid to call this a WIP, as it's not an easy game to port.

Still, it's been fun dissecting the original game and messing around with MADs to see what I can do on the Atari.

Here's what I have.

* The splash and High Score screen is standard 40x24 text screen with DLI and one display list for each screen, two different character sets for the 8x16 font. It looks horrible in antic 4, so this will do for now.

* Scrolling screen is 4 rows of standard text separated by 20 rows of an antic mode 4 character screen for the playfield. Getting the stars to remain stationary was a PITA.

I'm pretty happy with the scrolling, just as smooth as the original on real hardware. xex is attached.

Uridiump.xex 15.21 kB · 54 downloads

uridium1.png

uridium2.png

Looks really nice. I love the design of all Braybrook games.
Simply go ahead and see how far you can get with your version. In the worst case you will gain a lot of experience coding for the A8.

And don't expect too much from posting these early versions here on AA publicly in the common forum. The discussion will typically derail quickly?.
If you have coding related question, you should post in the Programming subforum.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Stephen said:

That is the best description of your behaviour I have ever read.  Congratulations - you win the day.

Are you the brother of Mclameinc? Sometimes it looks like that.

Why is your perception that suffering by some disorder?

Or is this intentional? Only to read what you want to read , just to have the possibility of some "mirrored argue"?

They do the impossible to finish . I'm only explaining things.

If things are doable, you don't read even one "negative" word from my side.

The Topic is ab out an "Uridium Demo" , but there is none. What could be more negative?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, snicklin said:

Yet another perfectly good thread ruined.

There's a common denominator here, and it is neither I, nor Mclenic that are the issue.

Seems to happen every few weeks too.  Non-coder who hasn't released anything but RMT tunes, many of them horribly out of tune, constantly tells other people what can and cannot be done.  Puts down every effort by people.  Then wonders why we don't get more new software.  Projects his issues onto everyone else.  I really wonder what his mental issue is because it seems to be more than just being an asshole.

• Like 4

Well,

here is another demo influenced by Uridium. This was one of the intros for Abbuc Magazin 20 in 1990 (there were two more intros, one by P.Sabath and the winner intro by Gnome Design). The demo/intro was made 30 years ago by D.Johannsen, who is also the author of Yoomp, errrm, Jump!

Jump!

It was never intended to be a game, just an intro for Abbuc magazine and therefore it should have been short and not require the full diskette...

Abuc20DJ.xex

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, miker said:

Notes taken from original SID. Try not to make it worse as is it now. ;) 

uridium-sketch.rmt 923 B · 3 downloads

Edit: no drum-line here.

Really nice. However, I made a quick small change ( I hope you don't mind ) as I think the first bass note in the sequence 04 should be an E instead of C#.

I think it can turn out better than the SID, the 4th channel can also have the melody reproduced with the notes spaced out in between the first and second notes on L3, then have the volume register for channel 4 slightly less volume which will give it the ambience that it's missing. It's done a lot, especially in Amiga protracker modules

image.thumb.png.d728700e8bbaa34f0a78611c1e7df1e3.png

uridium-sketch.v1.1.rmt

• Like 2