IGNORED

GONE: Gamecube DOL-001 drive assembly

ClassicGMR

I installed a GC Loader board in my Gamecube. The drive assembly I pulled out worked when I swapped it so I assume it's still good. I put it on my bookshelf and it hasn't moved, hasn't been dropped, hasn't been sat on by the cat, etc...

I don't want to try and sell it simply because if it IS out of alignment because of me swapping it out it will become a hassle. So throw me $5 for shipping in the US and I'll send you a drive assembly. :)

Pics incoming soon. It also may take a week to get it out to you. I am just starting my 3rd shift rotation for the week and am not off until Wednesday.

C3E3FA6E-7363-4F40-A59D-64583AEAEEF7.jpeg

06F6440F-5E73-4AF0-9A30-E80E1B1168AF.jpeg

Edited by ClassicGMR
  • Like 1

tl;dr - It's awesome and it's easy! ?

---------------------------------------------------------

GC Loader - mind you I never can catch them in stock on the main site so I did allow myself to be gouged a bit and bought one on eBay but, to me, it is SO worth it.

I absolutely love loader solutions. This one is just like the TerraOnion MODE. It was a bit more involved since you actually have to tear down most of the unit because of how the drive assembly is installed but I had no real issues. Tons of screws though - just give it a triple check when tearing it down. Nintendo didn't skimp on the screws. :) What I DID run into was either over time or maybe someone previously opened this 'cube but the screws were massively over-tightened. I was surprised the screw stems weren't cracked. I actually had to use an old trick where I put the screwdriver into a screw, grabbed a pair of pliers and used the pliers on the screwdriver handle to get the leverage needed to loosen a couple of them. Seriously. Just be ready for that just in case. The board mounts to the metal shield on standoffs. When you remount the metal shield the IO connector lines right up with the drive interface on the motherboard.

I reseated the cables, swapped out the memory battery and gave it a good cleaning top to bottom in the process.

I bought an extender and 3D printed mount to add to the cover so I didn't have to go fishing for the SD card when I wanted it. Just like my MODE and GDEMU. :)

I then purchased an EON GCHD Mk-II GameCube HD Adapter because I like HDMI adapters and cables. This was the #1 reason I wanted a DOL-001 - the digital out port. The signal looks fabulous coming out of the Gamecube! Even GBA through the GC through this adapter out to the tv looks great. There are mods out there for HDMI but I am a simple person and I like EON's stuff. Sue me. :)

I obviously haven't tried every game but from what I read the only incompatibility you need to pay attention to is save files. If I understand correctly your memory card can only be one region. So you can't save Japanese game saves to a card that already has NA game saves on it. I also watched this video and it states that if you have multidisc games the GC Loader just takes care of it for you as long as the discs are all in the directory. Not sure how that magic works but I can't wait to check it out.

The last piece I am waiting on is a $2 SD2SP2 interface board so the custom firmware can save settings. It installs into the serial port on the bottom. (In future firmware updates it is promised that we won't need the SD2SP2 interface board for settings as the GC Loader will save them. But that's upcoming.)

I'd say after about 45 minutes of work I was testing Mario Kart Double Dash, Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion AND had the Gameboy Interface software running Gameboy games quickly and easily (my 'cube came with the GBA player). I'm also using an Everdrive x5 on the GBA player which works great. I tested GB, GBC and GBA games and it is flawless.

The Gamecube cost me a decent amount to get it to this point but considering how much the entire library would cost this is minimal. An initial, single investment that will pay off for years.

If you take out the EON adapter - because it's not necessary... I just WANTED that - I spent $357 shipped for the Gamecube/Gameboy/Gameboy Color/Gameboy Advance library of games. The only things I had to start with were the SD cards so I'm personally into this for $507 shipped starting from scratch:

- Gamecube setup including a black DOL-001 Gamecube, memory card, cords, 2 controllers and the GBA player - $100

- GC Loader - $135

- GBA Everdrive x5 - $95

- 3D printed SD card mount - $25

- SD2SP2 board - $2

- EON HDMI adapter - $150

And, on top of all that, the GBA Everdrive also gets used in my Nintendo DS so double win! ?

I don't know if you read this far down but that's my $0.02 on the matter! :)

Edited by ClassicGMR
Clarified some things

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, ClassicGMR said:

I don't remember if you got back to me or not. Did this work for you? I hope so. :) Let us know. :)

Oh duh. I never reported back. Yes it works for me! I had to make a few adjustments on the pot but it actually read. My old one was burnt out or something. It wouldn't even try.

Thanks again!

• Like 1