IGNORED

Atari 400

chevymad

I've seen cases on eBay, and I'm sure some fellow AtariAge users may have one as well.  I purchased a case to re-case my original 400 as the case is badly yellowed, has a dent in the 'Atari 400' badge on the cartridge door (from a moment of misplaced anger in my youth ? ), and some broken vent fins in the back from transport/storage during move/reorganization.

I bought a lot of stuff off eBay, an 800XL, 810 drive (IIRC), Atari 800, diskettes, carts, cables..... and the 800 case was destroyed during transit.  It didn't work as well, but I fixed that and the issue with the 800XL.  I did get a really good price and did try to work with the seller, but they ignored my messages.  I was going to file a case, but I didn't want to risk having to send everything back (just wanted a partial credit), as even with it broken I got a good deal (it just wasn't a great deal anymore).

400 cases pop up more often than 800 cases.  There was one 800 case on eBay, but it was a bit more than I wanted to pay, so I passed on it. 

If you didn't do so, take it up with the seller, and see about getting a partial refund.  Most sellers that make poor shipping mistakes have worked with me when this has happened in the past (minus my 800 & 800XL lot ? ).

4 hours ago, cwilbar said:

I've seen cases on eBay, and I'm sure some fellow AtariAge users may have one as well.  I purchased a case to re-case my original 400 as the case is badly yellowed, has a dent in the 'Atari 400' badge on the cartridge door (from a moment of misplaced anger in my youth ? ), and some broken vent fins in the back from transport/storage during move/reorganization.

I bought a lot of stuff off eBay, an 800XL, 810 drive (IIRC), Atari 800, diskettes, carts, cables..... and the 800 case was destroyed during transit.  It didn't work as well, but I fixed that and the issue with the 800XL.  I did get a really good price and did try to work with the seller, but they ignored my messages.  I was going to file a case, but I didn't want to risk having to send everything back (just wanted a partial credit), as even with it broken I got a good deal (it just wasn't a great deal anymore).

400 cases pop up more often than 800 cases.  There was one 800 case on eBay, but it was a bit more than I wanted to pay, so I passed on it. 

If you didn't do so, take it up with the seller, and see about getting a partial refund.  Most sellers that make poor shipping mistakes have worked with me when this has happened in the past (minus my 800 & 800XL lot ? ).

I sent off a message to the seller about the damage that occurred during shipping. Hopefully we can come up with a fair resolution for both of us. It would be nice for Ebay or any of the shippers to pay up some type of insurance payment. I'll update this thread when I find out more. In the mean time, another Atariage user has messaged me with a parts machine for sale. It might just be what I'm looking for. Fingers crossed.

54 minutes ago, cornchip said:

I sent off a message to the seller about the damage that occurred during shipping. Hopefully we can come up with a fair resolution for both of us. It would be nice for Ebay or any of the shippers to pay up some type of insurance payment. I'll update this thread when I find out more. In the mean time, another Atariage user has messaged me with a parts machine for sale. It might just be what I'm looking for. Fingers crossed.

Regarding insurance from a shipping company....  I believe this is always the responsibility of the shipper to file/collect a claim.  Your recourse should be with the seller, and they can attempt to involve a shipping company for an insurance claim if they wish to do so.... however in my opinion from my own experiences, none of the time should it be granted.  Almost every time I've received something damaged in transport it is the fault of the person packaging the shipment.  My motto is proper packing is the cheapest insurance.  Unfortunately too many people think peanuts, one layer of bubble wrap, or just the cardboard container is all that is required...... and I never flinch at going after the seller for partial/full/etc refund.  Sucks to be them, but if they had packaged the item better they wouldn't be having the loss and hassle.

I don't think I've ever had anything I've shipped arrive damaged.  I use bubble wrap, styrofoam, other types of foams, extra cardboard, plenty of tape, etc.... and I rarely use peanuts, and I never leave space for items to shift around in transit.  Its amazingly simple, but from my experience many (eBay) sellers haven't a clue how to ship things so they arrive undamaged ?

I can't find pictures of the total devastation of the rest of the top half of the case (I managed to glue most of the bottom half together).
This is the result of telling the seller in USA to pack it well and not include the PSU as I live in the UK. What this translated to is wrap it in 3 sheets of newspaper and throw the wrecking ball psu loose into the box.

20121211_172548.jpg

20121211_172604.jpg

• Sad 4

Ouch.....that's just completely destroyed. I honestly never thought these old cases could be as fragile as they are.  Were you able to get any kind of credit back for damages?

As for me, I did contact the seller yesterday and sent him the picture to let him see the damages. His reply back was for me to contact Ebay as  the damages were caused by the courier....which I have to partially agree to (packaging is the other culprit). So then on I went to contact Ebay which is nearly impossible, but I did manage to get connected at Paypal and setup a dispute. The option I went with was a partial refund when asked by the computer voice at Paypal. I said 40 dollars....an amount that would be a good starting point to negotiate this claim. The seller will get this message from Ebay and we have 21 days to resolve it. Hopefully the seller doesn't get to angered by this as it's not at all personal. I just hope he offers me something and I'll likely say yes and move on happy in my mind that some justice has prevailed (or he can go after Ebay for damages....good luck). For anybody who does buy one of these Atari's from Ebay, contact the seller and politely remind them of the horror's in this thread. So much fun in 2020. ?

4 hours ago, cornchip said:

I honestly never thought these old cases could be as fragile as they are.

I'm wondering if 400/800 cases are starting to go brittle as they age. I recently got a 400 and I was so concerned about it getting busted in shipping that I made sure the seller really packed it well (which he did thank goodness).

3 hours ago, ApolloBoy said:

I'm wondering if 400/800 cases are starting to go brittle as they age. I recently got a 400 and I was so concerned about it getting busted in shipping that I made sure the seller really packed it well (which he did thank goodness).

Maybe they are, but bad packing isn't going to be much use if there is the equivalent of a 2lb lump hammer crashing around the box