IGNORED

320B color question

plotmapfile tiledMap40x24.tmx tilemap 0 0 40 24

It looks like you are plotting tiles for the entire width of the screen, but at least on the first screen, you are only using a fraction of it. If you use less than the full width of the screen, then resize your Tiled map accordingly, and have it start somewhere other than 0,0 to center it accordingly. This should free up Maria cycles for you to display sprites successfully, I think.

• Thanks 1

Here's a modified version of your example that reduces the width of the tile map to 30 (still much more than you are using here), and centers it horizontally so there is no visual difference. In this one, there is no issue drawing the sprite. You may want to experiment with the numbers here a bit to see what is optimal for your game's needs, so long as you can live with not covering 100% of your screen width with tiles, I think it should still be workable for you.

320bmod.zip

• Thanks 1

Has anybody experienced the last row of each letter not being visable when plotting text, so that E looks like F, I look like a T etc?

this is all the code related to the text

incgraphic alphabet_8_wide.png 320B 0 2 3 3 4

characterset alphabet_8_wide

alphachars ' abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.!?'

plotchars 'abcdefghij' 4 20 0 10

Edited by Lillapojkenpåön

On 11/9/2020 at 10:40 AM, Muddyfunster said:

Does JS7800 interpret 320B correctly ? (I know a few folks use that a lot).

I haven't used JS7800 myself so not sure but if you want to test yourself try running the attached copy of the earliest demo of graze suit alpha from waaaaaay back.

In this version the graphics would look corrupted, particularly the player and letters, and you won't see the timer counting down if the rom is being run accurately to hardware. (like A7800/Bupsystem) Back then I use to do all my testing/playing in prosystem so I didn't know about the graphic issues until people pointed it out to me. :)

2015-05-18-graze.bas.a78

• Like 1

If that's how it looks, then no. It doesn't properly display 320B sprites.

Looks like it's displaying similar to prosystem.  In that I mean it doesn't follow the rules for the C1 palette entries and gives way too much time for plotting DLs.

What version of bupsystem were you using - I'm using 0.9.6.3 and it doesn't show the timer or wave sections at all. You should also see missing bits here and there in the letters, not many but some.

Edited by Mord

34 minutes ago, Mord said:

If that's how it looks, then no. It doesn't properly display 320B sprites.

Looks like it's displaying similar to prosystem.  In that I mean it doesn't follow the rules for the C1 palette entries and gives way too much time for plotting DLs.

What version of bupsystem were you using - I'm using 0.9.6.3 and it doesn't show the timer or wave sections at all. You should also see missing bits here and there in the letters, not many but some.

I was using 9.6.1 so that probably explains it. I'll update my Bupsystem.

13 hours ago, Lillapojkenpåön said:

Has anybody experienced the last row of each letter not being visable when plotting text, so that E looks like F, I look like a T etc?

this is all the code related to the text

incgraphic alphabet_8_wide.png 320B 0 2 3 3 4

characterset alphabet_8_wide

alphachars ' abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.!?'

plotchars 'abcdefghij' 4 20 0 10

I used atascii instead, display correct,  but that turned my dot tiles into numbers, is that text to big so it pushes the dots out of the graphics thingy? How do I fix it?

1 hour ago, Lillapojkenpåön said:

I used atascii instead, display correct,  but that turned my dot tiles into numbers, is that text to big so it pushes the dots out of the graphics thingy? How do I fix it?

I don't know what's causing your first problem about the lines at the bottom getting cut off.  As for the second problem with the atascii graphic, do you have a line like this in your code?

alphachars ASCII

7 hours ago, Karl G said:

Okay, maybe upload another code example? One of the smart people here may be able to figure out what's going on. Or possibly even me. :D

It's the second time something similar happens to me, in my 160A experiment I had to do different characterset before plotting them, then it just started working with one, don't know what changed?

320B source.rar

On 11/11/2020 at 9:39 AM, Lillapojkenpåön said:

Okay; I wasn't following what you meant until I tried it. I was able to fix it by including the tile graphics before the atascii graphic. You want to make sure they are in the same block, and when you included the atascii graphic first, it interpreted the tile numbers in your map as indexes in the atascii graphic instead.

incgraphic newTiles8x8.png 320B 0 2 3 1 0
  incgraphic atascii.png 320B 0 2
  incgraphic dots.png 320B 0 2 3 1 4

;characterset newTiles8x8
  incmapfile tiledMap28x28.tmx

characterset atascii
 alphachars ASCII

1816328883_ScreenShot2020-11-12at4_59_25PM.thumb.png.548c750d2b1302e3506211937b0abae4.png

Thanks for looking. Yes, when I said "graphics thingy" I meant block, those purple tiles in the maze should be dots so it's still not working right, I think they are not in the same block but I don't know what to do about it?

This makes the tilemap display correct, but the text dissapear

incgraphic newTiles8x8.png 320B 0 2 3 1 0

incgraphic dots.png 320B 0 2 3 1 4

incgraphic atascii.png 320B 0 2

characterset newTiles8x8

incmapfile tiledMap28x28.tmx

;characterset atascii

alphachars ASCII

Edited by Lillapojkenpåön

It looks like you aren't using any lowercase letters or characters after the capitals. Maybe trim the atascii.png to get rid of anything after "Z" to save space in that graphics block to fit the rest in?

Edit: Alternate suggestion: just use a digits graphic for your numbers and plotvalue, and use sprites instead for your text so it doesn't have to be in the same graphics block as your tiles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lillapojkenpåön said:

Is there some easy way to figure our what charvalue a certain character has? You can count but they don't seem to start from 0

They do start at 0 if it's the first in the graphics block, but since you have doublewide enabled, you need to count by twos. 

• Thanks 1