5 hours ago, SavageMind said:

I just want to say, I appreciate you jumping on this and reviving what was thought to be a dead project. You managed to get a lot done with little time. I have two Microvisions I want to restore so I would like to order two when the time comes.

Thanks very much.  I appreciate the comments. 

I was just like yourself in the beginning.  I had 4 units that needed new screens.   I searched and found this thread.   After reading all of the thread pages,  I concluded it was stalled or dropped like everyone else.   I tried contacting 511 on AA messaging about the status.  Nothing.  I posted messages asking for contact info.  Nothing.  I'm not trying to an AH with this adventure,  but neither of can stop at this point or it's $$$$ "down the drain"

The best scenario for both of us to come up with a set pricing structure once the units arrive.  Losing $$$ on both sides with a price war doesn't make sense.  I'm sure everyone here won't mind buying from both.

In the meantime.   This might be a good point to check out your devices and make sure they work. ?

Pop in Blockbuster and power up the MV even if your screen is toast.   Power on and hit the GO button and listen for the sounds hit GO after every paddle miss.  If your unit is silent, take some time and clean the battery contacts.   Simichrome polish and a few qtips to clean and polish them.  Simichrome is a mild polish and doesn't remove the protective zinc coating on the battery contacts as fast as other metal cleaners and polishes.  Check to see if it works then.

If your not up for changing out your LCD yourself or your units seems dead.  Send it to me.  I can go through your unit and polish the contacts,  clean and lubricate the mechanicals, check out the electronics, and install the LCD you purchased for a nominal fee of $10 per unit plus shipping back.

Richard Burbage

4 Dunbar Way

Sterling, VA 20165

cell 703-728-0185  texting is fine.  It's easy to share pics and vids with texting.

All 4 units I have needed the potentiometer (Paddle knob) cleaned.  This stops the jittery paddle in the blockbuster game.   The power switch can use a shot of electronics cleaner also.  CRC QD Electronic cleaner works.  There are many spray cleaners to choose from.

As mentioned before about the LCD installation,  it's is going to be a drop in and reassemble.  No mods or changes are necessary.  Qtip cleaning the edges of the zebra connectors with isopropyl is recommended.  Also,  a faint amount of simichrome on a qtip to polish the circuit board contacts will be a benefit.  Rinsing with 71 or 91 isopropyl and qtips is recommended after polishing. 

If you have disassembled you LCD, you may have noticed a thin piece of tape midway on the larger zebra connector.  This spacer seems to be installed to compensate from a slight warping of the clear cover.  Keep that in place.  One of my units just had a thin strip of paperboard.  It wasn't attached and fell out.   I had to figure out why it was there.

The new LCD displays are one piece compared to the current 5 pieces.  The thin green foam piece might be needed.  The thin upper polarizer sheet, LCD glass unit and rear polarizer won't be needed.  The spacing with the new LCD unit will need to be worked out still when they arrive.

Installation video later.  Pictures speak more than words.  Thank you Santa!

Edited by rwburbage@msn.com
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mehlen said:

I think the fact there are two of you working on this separately is just fine.  It increases the odds of success and it's not like either one of you is doing in maliciously.  You're both just trying to solve a problem and there is nothing wrong with that.

??

7 minutes ago, mehlen said:

Did you decide on backlit or non-backlit?

Both will be available.  First, original without backlighting to ship out immediately after a quick test.

If interested in the BL option, info on the installation process will be available after the samples arrive.  The install details still need to be worked out.

The plan is, either way, no permanent mods or changes to the device will be needed.  The MV's can be changed to either at any point.

1 minute ago, rwburbage@msn.com said:

Both will be available.  First, original without backlighting to ship out immediately after a quick test.

If interested in the BL option, info on the installation process will be available after the samples arrive.  The install details still need to be worked out.

The plan is, either way, no permanent mods or changes to the device will be needed.  The MV's can be changed to either at any point.

Beauty ?

• Like 1

11-13-20 If all goes well with the samples, preorders should start the week of 11-22.  A 30 day handling time will be set.  Pricing is still unknown at this point until sample testing has been completed and total order counts have been figured out.

The option to have a backlight display will be available for those interested.  Working on quotes now for the longer zebra connectors needed as the LCD display is elevated to fit the backlight unit. 

The plan is, either way, no permanent mods to the MV devices will be needed.  The MVs can be changed to either display type at any point.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Goochman said:

Alright Im in - just got a "broken screen but works" MV unit with a few extra games.  I may want to take you up on your $10+shipping offer to install since you're not too far from me (I'm in MD)

Perfect.  If can pick up some more details on your unit.  How many battery connectors?  The 2 connectors are the later units also with a taller paddle knob.  It easier to hold.  What are the serial numbers of your games?

The blockbuster was redesigned in later SN's. It seems faster also.

Custom zebra connectors to the BL units are OTW.   The samples show a tracking delivery date of 11-22.  I'm not sure if it will get held up in customs or not...

I'm told Xmas delivery for the production units won't happen. ?  January is most likely. ??

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rwburbage@msn.com said:

Perfect.  If can pick up some more details on your unit.  How many battery connectors?  The 2 connectors are the later units also with a taller paddle knob.  It easier to hold.  What are the serial numbers of your games?

The blockbuster was redesigned in later SN's. It seems faster also.

Custom zebra connectors to the BL units are OTW.   The samples show a tracking delivery date of 11-22.  I'm not sure if it will get held up in customs or not...

I'm told Xmas delivery for the production units won't happen. ?  January is most likely. ??

Here are pictures of my unit - let me know if you need anything else.  When I turn it on with Blockbuster I can hit "Go" and hear the ball drain buzz.

IMG_8786 (Medium).jpg

IMG_8791 (Medium).jpg

IMG_8790 (Medium).jpg

IMG_8787 (Medium).jpg

IMG_8789 (Medium).jpg

IMG_8792 (Medium).jpg

IMG_8788 (Medium).jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rik1138 said:

Can you post the information here?  Not everyone has (or wants) Facebook, and that post can't be seen by anyone without a Facebook account...

Great news! All six samples that came in are working fine. The rear contrast adjustment has a perfect window of operation to compensate for a depleting battery. I will still need thorough testing with battery life, etc.  I'll have another update tomorrow.  .... It's tomorrow. Still working fine. ??

Install notes for far. Original Zebra connectors work fine. Reuse green foam. No special cleaning process was required.  

The green backing foam that installed in the original LCD needs to be reused. 2 of the 6 units I installed had a central glued spot between the green foam and the rear polarizer.   

I used a small paint brush with alcohol to soften the glue and carefully peel it away from the polarizer. This process will damage that polarizer as the glue will separate the 2 sides of it. That part does not get used anyway.   If the green foam was glued,  install it with the sticky glue side facing away from the LCD.  It will stick to the board then.  Trying to clean could be futile.

Testing blockout with the jittery paddle, work the paddle back and forth 20 times and it calms down. I still can't clear a screen! I'm going to try starting with 9 balls. Maybe use a older blockout with a low serial number. They are a little slower.

20201120_211506.jpg

20201120_211451.jpg

20201120_211447.jpg

20201120_211440.jpg

20201120_211435.jpg

20201120_174125.jpg

20201120_205707.jpg

Edited by rwburbage@msn.com
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, rwburbage@msn.com said:

Great news! All six samples that came in are working fine. The rear contrast adjustment has a perfect window of operation to compensate for a depleting battery. I will still need thorough testing with battery life, etc. I'll have another update tomorrow.

- It's tomorrow. Still working fine. ??

Install notes for far. Original Zebra connectors work fine. Reuse green foam. No special cleaning process was required.  

The green backing foam that installed in the original LCD needs to be reused. 2 of the 6 units I installed had a central glued spot between the green foam and the rear polarizer.   

I used a small paint brush with alcohol to soften the glue and carefully peel it away from the polarizer. This process will damage that polarizer as the glue will separate the 2 sides of it. That part does not get used anyway.

Testing blockout with the jittery paddle, work the paddle back and forth 20 times and it calms down. I still can't clear a screen! I'm going to try starting with 9 balls. Maybe use a older blockout with a low serial number. They are a little slower.

20201120_211506.jpg

20201120_211451.jpg

20201120_211447.jpg

20201120_211440.jpg

20201120_211435.jpg

20201120_172324.jpg

20201120_174125.jpg

20201120_205707.jpg

Such incredible news!   So looking forward to getting at least three screens when they become available!  Very excited!

• Like 1