!! International Buyers !!

So,  I've spent an hour trying to get paypal and the shipping calcs configured.  It is a nightmare with hand selecting countries etc.  It's a mess.   

So if your purchasing internationally, please use ebay.   It will calculate everything and automate customs forms.  I'll try and tweak the shipping weights to adjust the costs.

2 hours ago, Sarge62436 said:

I just ordered 2 - very glad that this project is moving forward!

A request: I saw some installation notes earlier. Any chance of a pictorial step-by-step installation guide?

Thanks again!

Yes,   I'll work on that page some more.  Right now it's a rambling bunch of steps.  https://voiceofthemummy.com/staging/microvision-lcd-display/1979-microvision-lcd-install-notes/

24 minutes ago, rwburbage@msn.com said:

!! International Buyers !!

So,  I've spent an hour trying to get paypal and the shipping calcs configured.  It is a nightmare with hand selecting countries etc.  It's a mess.   

So if your purchasing internationally, please use ebay.   It will calculate everything and automate customs forms.  I'll try and tweak the shipping weights to adjust the costs.

Will do.  I held off buying because I wanted to see about the backlit screen, if there will be an option on the current eBay page or a whole new page on it's own. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mehlen said:

Will do.  I held off buying because I wanted to see about the backlit screen, if there will be an option on the current eBay page or a whole new page on it's own. 

Yes, the backlight option is a work in progress.  The physical details could not be worked out with the suppliers eng team in the end.  So, I had to wait until the transmissive LCD and backlight unit arrive to finalize this.

It will come later as the physical details are being worked out.   Currently there is plenty of room under the cartridge.   It's looking more like a mod to the clear case will have to happen.  Or a better non destructive 3D printed part.  Still, a fun alternative project to add a bit of modern to the MV display.

The orders are still on schedule.

BACKLIGHT PROJECT:

I've had some time to play around with the backlight project. I had mentioned before that the supplier was working on the backlight project. They went ahead and just shipped me in the parts and are now allowing me to do finish it. ?

So there is a slight mod needed to the clear part holding the LCD.  This mod will still allow the original LCD configuration or the new replacement LCD to be reinstalled.  It can still be changed at any point.

And of course soldering on two wires with a resistor and new zebra connectors.  So here's a pic of it so far. The display is of course incorrect as the zebra connectors just can't reach.  Waiting on those to arrive. 

20201125_173941.jpg

Edited by rwburbage@msn.com
  • Like 4

You know, when it comes to modding one Microvision for my personal use, I don't really care about being able to undo it...  I'd just love to have a backlit one like that no matter what hacking I have to do inside!  Unless I'm in the minority on that, bring on the mod, don't be shy about a little plastic removal.  :)  (After all, they really aren't that rare or expensive anyway...)

Of course, I have a dozen or so of these things, so I have room to make sacrifices...  (I probably wouldn't modify the one that was my original from 1979, but that's for sentimental reasons... but one of them is getting sacrificed for a light mod!)

Edited by Rik1138
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rik1138 said:

You know, when it comes to modding one Microvision for my personal use, I don't really care about being able to undo it...  I'd just love to have a backlit one like that no matter what hacking I have to do inside!  Unless I'm in the minority on that, bring on the mod, don't be shy about a little plastic removal.  :)  (After all, they really aren't that rare or expensive anyway...)

Of course, I have a dozen or so of these things, so I have room to make sacrifices...  (I probably wouldn't modify the one that was my original from 1979, but that's for sentimental reasons... but one of them is getting sacrificed for a light mod!)

Sounds good.   I was trying to give everyone many options with this.   The alternative is to create a 3d part to replace the clear piece.   But,  the small cuts are a better option.

So, the mod is working out well.   I found a good resistor size of 680 ohm to keep the current drain low at less than 10ma.  If I go below that value for a brighter display, the drain increase takes a big jump.  The unit running a game with light is 18ma.  Really low.  Batteries are going to last with no issues.  Not like they did back in 1979!  They were toast after an hour of use.  After 4 hrs running down to 8.3V and still fine.  So the BL kit will have the transmissive LCD with backlight unit and 680 ohm resistor with tubing over it.

20201125_173912.jpg

• Like 3

The Microvision Backlight Kit is available. It was added to the option list in kit form or kit plus install. 

https://voiceofthemummy.com/staging/microvision-lcd-display/

This is a transmissive LCD with custom backlight unit underneath. The transmissive type is specifically made for backlighting.

https://newvisiondisplay.com/lcd-modes/

The display is a little hosed at the moment because I'm testing with the original zebra connectors. They just don't quite reach. The custom zebra connectors are coming in Mon 11-30. I'll update this post with better displays pics when they come in.

20201125_173912.jpg

20201125_173941.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dantist said:

Definitely going to order the backlight-version, it's freaking awesome. Could you maybe post a video of how to do the install? Sending the device from Germany to US is just too expensive.

Yes,  I'll be working on the install page with pics.  It's a rambling mess at the moment.  https://voiceofthemummy.com/staging/microvision-lcd-display/1979-microvision-lcd-install-notes/

The mods to the clear LCD tray(whatever it's called) needs a slight shortening to one of the "walls"  that surround the LCD.  And 2 small cuts on another.   The best part is this mod will allow to install the original LCD setup or the new LCD unit to be swapped in.

20201126_215730.jpg

20201126_215701.jpg

20201126_215638.jpg